Air India 737 Hits Wall on Takeoff, Flies on for 4 Hours Before Making Emergency Landing
This post contains references to products from one or more of our advertisers. We may receive compensation when you click on links to those products. Terms apply to the offers listed on this page. For an explanation of our Advertising Policy, visit this page.
An Air India Boeing 737 hit an airport wall while taking off from Trichy Airport on Friday.
Air India Express Flight IX611 was traveling from Trichy (TRZ), also known as Tiruchirapalli, to Dubai (DXB) on Friday with 130 passengers and six crew members on board. The Boeing 737-800 taxied to the runway safely and took off at approximately 1:20am local time.
However, about four hours after departing, the crew made the decision to make an emergency landing in Mumbai (BOM). The reasoning? They had come to find out that the aircraft had clipped a wall as it was taking off.
According to a statement from Air India, airport officials observed that the aircraft “might have come in contact with the airport perimeter wall. It was decided to divert the aircraft to Mumbai as a precautionary measure.” It isn’t known at this point why the crew decided to fly on instead of returning immediately to TRZ. Air India Express is the low-fare subsidiary of India’s state-owned airline.
A spokesperson for the airline told CNN that the plane was damaged but did not provide details regarding the extent of the damage.
The airline said also that it’s reported the crash to India’s aviation regulator and is “cooperating with the investigation.” The airline also added that the two pilots, who have had a combined 6,500 hours of flying experience, have been grounded, pending investigation.
Aviation Safety Net reports that the 737 hit a localizer antenna array and a brick wall, which were located at the end of the runway. (The localizer is a part of the instrument landing system, or ILS, that tells pilots whether they are properly aligned with the runway.)
Featured image courtesy of Wikimedia Commons.
Welcome to The Points Guy!
Earn 50,000 bonus miles and 5,000 Medallion® Qualification Miles (MQMs) after you spend $2,000 in purchases on your new card in your first three months of card membership. Plus, earn up to $100 back in statement credits for eligible purchases at U.S. restaurants with your card within the first 3 months of membership.
With Status Boost™, earn 10,000 Medallion Qualification Miles (MQMs) after you spend $25,000 in purchases on your Card in a calendar year, up to two times per year getting you closer to Medallion Status. Earn 3X Miles on Delta purchases and purchases made directly with hotels, 2X Miles at restaurants and at U.S. supermarkets and earn 1X Mile on all other eligible purchases. Terms Apply.
- Earn 50,000 bonus miles and 5,000 Medallion® Qualification Miles (MQMs) after you spend $2,000 in purchases on your new Card in your first 3 months.
- Plus, earn up to $100 back in statement credits for eligible purchases at US restaurants with your card within the first 3 months of membership.
- Accelerate your path to Medallion Status, with Status Boost®. Plus, in 2021 you can earn even more bonus Medallion® Qualification Miles (MQMs) to help you reach Medallion Status.
- Earn 3X Miles on Delta purchases and purchases made directly with hotels.
- Earn 2X Miles at restaurants worldwide, including takeout and delivery and at U.S. supermarkets.
- Earn 1X Miles on all other eligible purchases.
- Receive a Domestic Main Cabin round-trip companion certificate each year upon renewal of your Card. *Payment of the government imposed taxes and fees of no more than $75 for roundtrip domestic flights (for itineraries with up to four flight segments) is required. Baggage charges and other restrictions apply. See terms and conditions for details.
- Enjoy your first checked bag free on Delta flights.
- Fee Credit for Global Entry or TSA Pre✓®.
- Enjoy an exclusive rate of $39 per person per visit to enter the Delta Sky Club® for you and up to two guests when traveling on a Delta flight.
- No Foreign Transaction Fees.
- $250 Annual Fee.
- Terms Apply.
- See Rates & Fees