This post contains references to products from one or more of our advertisers. We may receive compensation when you click on links to those products. For an explanation of our Advertising Policy, visit this page.
An Air India Boeing 737 hit an airport wall while taking off from Trichy Airport on Friday.
Air India Express Flight IX611 was traveling from Trichy (TRZ), also known as Tiruchirapalli, to Dubai (DXB) on Friday with 130 passengers and six crew members on board. The Boeing 737-800 taxied to the runway safely and took off at approximately 1:20am local time.
However, about four hours after departing, the crew made the decision to make an emergency landing in Mumbai (BOM). The reasoning? They had come to find out that the aircraft had clipped a wall as it was taking off.
According to a statement from Air India, airport officials observed that the aircraft “might have come in contact with the airport perimeter wall. It was decided to divert the aircraft to Mumbai as a precautionary measure.” It isn’t known at this point why the crew decided to fly on instead of returning immediately to TRZ. Air India Express is the low-fare subsidiary of India’s state-owned airline.
A spokesperson for the airline told CNN that the plane was damaged but did not provide details regarding the extent of the damage.
The airline said also that it’s reported the crash to India’s aviation regulator and is “cooperating with the investigation.” The airline also added that the two pilots, who have had a combined 6,500 hours of flying experience, have been grounded, pending investigation.
Aviation Safety Net reports that the 737 hit a localizer antenna array and a brick wall, which were located at the end of the runway. (The localizer is a part of the instrument landing system, or ILS, that tells pilots whether they are properly aligned with the runway.)
Featured image courtesy of Wikimedia Commons.
With some great bonus categories, the American Express Gold Card has a lot going for it. The card offers 4x points at US restaurants, at US supermarkets (up to $25,000; then 1x), and 3x points on flights booked directly with airlines or through amextravel.com. It is currently offering a welcome bonus of 35,000 bonus points after you spend $2,000 in the first three months.
- Earn 35,000 Membership Rewards® Points after you spend $2,000 on eligible purchases with your new Card within the first 3 months.
- Earn 4X Membership Rewards® points at U.S. restaurants. Earn 4X Membership Rewards® points at U.S. supermarkets (on up to $25,000 per year in purchases, then 1X).
- Earn 3X Membership Rewards® points on flights booked directly with airlines or on amextravel.com.
- Earn up to $10 in statement credits monthly when you pay with The Gold Card at Grubhub, Seamless, The Cheesecake Factory, Shake Shack, and Ruth's Chris Steak House. This is an annual savings of up to $120. Enrollment required.
- $100 Airline Fee Credit: up to $100 in statement credits per calendar year for incidental fees at one selected qualifying airline.
- Choose to carry a balance with interest on eligible charges of $100 or more.
- No Foreign Transaction Fees.
- Annual Fee is $250.
- Terms apply.
- See Rates & Fees