Air France Upgrades Wi-Fi With Free Messaging on Its A330s
This post contains references to products from one or more of our advertisers. We may receive compensation when you click on links to those products. Terms apply to the offers listed on this page. For an explanation of our Advertising Policy, visit this page.
Looks like redesigned Economy and Premium Economy cabins won’t be the only new element coming to Air France’s A330s. The airline has today launched its new in-flight Wi-Fi offering, dubbed Air France Connect, which adds free messaging and supports use across three devices (smartphone, tablet and computer).
Air France Connect is live now on the carrier’s Wi-Fi equipped aircraft. By the end of 2018, it’ll be available on 22 long-haul aircraft and eight short- and medium-haul aircraft, with an aim of equipping the entire fleet by the end of 2020.
The free Message pass allows passengers to send and receive Whatsapp, Facebook Messenger, iMessage and WeChat messages free of charge on their smartphone or tablet throughout the flight.
The Surf pass is designed for non-streaming internet activities – things like emails, crossword puzzles, and soaking up the latest travel tips from The Points Guy. Pricing is set at €3 for short-haul flights, €5 for medium-haul flights, and €8 (2,700 miles) for one hour or €18 (6,000 Miles) for the entire duration of the trip on long-haul flights.
For those who need even more bandwidth, there’s the Stream pass. It’s available on all long-haul flights, and includes all the benefits of the Message pass and the Surf pass. Additionally, Air France asserts that the Stream pass allows passengers to “benefit from a high speed internet connection to enjoy streaming and downloading throughout the flight for €30 (10,000 Miles).”
In terms of future plans, we’re told that Connect will “gradually be extended to offer customers additional services and entertainment such as detailed flight information, shopping and a wide selection of films, TV series and documentaries to watch free of charge on their smartphone or tablet.”
To take advantage, look for the “AirFranceCONNECT” network once onboard, where you can pay for the higher-tier services via Visa, Mastercard, American Express, PayPal or FlyingBlue Miles.
Welcome to The Points Guy!
WELCOME OFFER: 80,000 Points
TPG'S BONUS VALUATION*: $1,600
CARD HIGHLIGHTS: 3X points on dining and 2x points on travel, points transferrable to over a dozen travel partners
*Bonus value is an estimated value calculated by TPG and not the card issuer. View our latest valuations here.
- Earn 80,000 bonus points after you spend $4,000 on purchases in the first 3 months from account opening. That's $1,000 when you redeem through Chase Ultimate Rewards®.
- Enjoy benefits such as a $50 annual Ultimate Rewards Hotel Credit, 5x on travel purchased through Chase Ultimate Rewards®, 3x on dining and 2x on all other travel purchases, plus more.
- Get 25% more value when you redeem for airfare, hotels, car rentals and cruises through Chase Ultimate Rewards®. For example, 80,000 points are worth $1,000 toward travel.
- With Pay Yourself Back℠, your points are worth 25% more during the current offer when you redeem them for statement credits against existing purchases in select, rotating categories
- Count on Trip Cancellation/Interruption Insurance, Auto Rental Collision Damage Waiver, Lost Luggage Insurance and more.