Nearly 300 Air France Passengers Stranded for 3 Days in Siberia
On the heels of a British Airways flight that stranded passengers not once but twice en route from Orlando to London, another group of passengers faced a similar fate this week when their Air France flight from Charles de Gaulle Airport (CDG) to Shanghai Pudong International Airpot (PVG) was diverted to Irkutsk International Airport (IKT) in Russia, leaving them in limbo for three days.
Air France flight AF116, which was carrying 282 passengers on the Boeing 777, was scheduled to fly from Paris to Shanghai on Sunday when “an acrid smell and light smoke appeared on board,” the airline told AFP.
The crew decided to make an emergency landing and diverted the plane to southeast Siberia. According to The Moscow Times, passengers were put up in a hotel under the watch of police and “not allowed to leave hotel premises” due to the fact that they did not have visas to enter the country while waiting for a new Boeing 777 to arrive the following day.
But when the aircraft arrived, it too was having technical difficulties. Passengers had to wait yet again for a new aircraft that would carry them to their final destination Wednesday morning.
Passenger Corinne Lee, Head of Social Media at Louis Vuitton, was traveling on business with her team and managed to record the whole ordeal via Instagram story. Clips document the plane’s smoke alarm going off, the emergency landing in Russia, updates on the frigid temperatures (-12˚C), a few not-so-bad meals, the failed attempt at boarding the replacement plane and the icy walk across the tarmac to the final aircraft.
The incredible delay, police surveillance and brutal Siberian temperatures, surely made this one trip these passengers won’t soon forget. Luckily, no injuries were reported.
H/T: Business Insider
Welcome to The Points Guy!
WELCOME OFFER: 80,000 Points
TPG'S BONUS VALUATION*: $1,650
CARD HIGHLIGHTS: 2X points on all travel and dining, points transferrable to over a dozen travel partners
*Bonus value is an estimated value calculated by TPG and not the card issuer. View our latest valuations here.
- Earn 80,000 bonus points after you spend $4,000 on purchases in the first 3 months from account opening. That's $1,000 when you redeem through Chase Ultimate Rewards®. Plus earn up to $50 in statement credits towards grocery store purchases within your first year of account opening.
- Earn 2X points on dining including eligible delivery services, takeout and dining out and travel. Plus, earn 1 point per dollar spent on all other purchases.
- Get 25% more value when you redeem for airfare, hotels, car rentals and cruises through Chase Ultimate Rewards®. For example, 80,000 points are worth $1,000 toward travel.
- With Pay Yourself Back℠, your points are worth 25% more during the current offer when you redeem them for statement credits against existing purchases in select, rotating categories.
- Get unlimited deliveries with a $0 delivery fee and reduced service fees on eligible orders over $12 for a minimum of one year with DashPass, DoorDash's subscription service. Activate by 12/31/21.
- Count on Trip Cancellation/Interruption Insurance, Auto Rental Collision Damage Waiver, Lost Luggage Insurance and more.
- Get up to $60 back on an eligible Peloton Digital or All-Access Membership through 12/31/2021, and get full access to their workout library through the Peloton app, including cardio, running, strength, yoga, and more. Take classes using a phone, tablet, or TV. No fitness equipment is required.