Air France-KLM Joins the Recovery Effort to Help Rebuild Notre Dame
This post contains references to products from one or more of our advertisers. We may receive compensation when you click on links to those products. Terms apply to the offers listed on this page. For an explanation of our Advertising Policy, visit this page.
On Monday, President Emmanuel Macron of France promised in a press conference that “starting tomorrow” they would begin plans for reconstruction on Notre Dame following the devastating fire that ravaged through the iconic Parisian landmark.
The fire, though eventually contained, claimed the church’s spire and severely damaged part of the roof. Details on how the blaze began are currently unknown, however, investigators speculate that it might have to do with the restoration project Notre Dame had already been undergoing.
While the building’s main facade was salvaged (and quite a few notable artifacts, such as the crown of thorns and the tunic of Saint Louis), construction on Notre Dame could now cost up to three times its original budget of 150 million euros.
To help with the steep finances, Air France-KLM released a statement announcing that they will be joining the Notre Dame recovery efforts.
“Following the tragic fire that has ravaged Notre Dame cathedral in Paris, it is a symbol of French history, well known throughout the world, that has suffered a severe blow,” the airline stated n a press release. “All Air France and Air France-KLM teams around the world have since been deeply affected and saddened.”
Air France-KLM has also pledged to provide free flights for “all official partners involved in the reconstruction of Notre Dame cathedral in Paris.”
The airline group will also be opening up donations to passengers, too. The process for voluntary donations, however, is still being figured out. A representative for Air France-KLM told TPG that details on how passengers can donate will be forthcoming.
In the meantime, Bloomberg reports that an array of French luxury-goods tycoons — including some of the country’s wealthiest individuals and companies such as Gucci, L’Oreal and the LVMH fashion conglomerate — have pledged at least 600 million euros ($678 million) to help in the reconstruction of Notre Dame cathedral.
Featured image by Chesnot/Getty Images.
Welcome to The Points Guy!
Earn 90,000 bonus miles after you spend $3,000 in purchases on your new Card in your first 3 months. Offer ends 8/3/2022.
With Status Boost™, earn 10,000 Medallion Qualification Miles (MQMs) after you spend $25,000 in purchases on your Card in a calendar year, up to two times per year getting you closer to Medallion Status. Earn 3X Miles on Delta purchases and purchases made directly with hotels, 2X Miles at restaurants and at U.S. supermarkets and earn 1X Mile on all other eligible purchases. Terms Apply.
- Limited Time Offer: Earn 90,000 bonus miles after you spend $3,000 in purchases on your new Card in your first 3 months. Offer ends 8/3/2022.
- Earn up to 20,000 Medallion® Qualification Miles (MQMs) with Status Boost® per year. After you spend $25,000 in purchases on your Card in a calendar year, you can earn 10,000 MQMs up to two times per year, getting you closer to Medallion® Status. MQMs are used to determine Medallion® Status and are different than miles you earn toward flights.
- Earn 3X Miles on Delta purchases and purchases made directly with hotels.
- Earn 2X Miles at restaurants worldwide including takeout and delivery in the U.S., and at U.S. supermarkets.
- Earn 1X Miles on all other eligible purchases.
- Receive a Domestic Main Cabin round-trip companion certificate each year upon renewal of your Card. Payment of the government imposed taxes and fees of no more than $80 for roundtrip domestic flights (for itineraries with up to four flight segments) is required. Baggage charges and other restrictions apply. See terms and conditions for details.
- Enjoy your first checked bag free on Delta flights.
- Fee Credit for Global Entry or TSA PreCheck® after you apply through any Authorized Enrollment Provider. If approved for Global Entry, at no additional charge, you will receive access to TSA PreCheck.
- Enjoy an exclusive rate of $39 per person per visit to enter the Delta Sky Club® for you and up to two guests when traveling on a Delta flight.
- No Foreign Transaction Fees.
- $250 Annual Fee.
- Terms Apply.
- See Rates & Fees