Air France Is Cancelling 24% of Its Flights on Friday
This post contains references to products from one or more of our advertisers. We may receive compensation when you click on links to those products. Terms apply to the offers listed on this page. For an explanation of our Advertising Policy, visit this page.
More than 30% of Air France’s pilots, as well as nearly 30% of cabin crew and 20% of ground crew, are expected to participate in Friday’s strike, the latest in a series of trade union protests which also took place on February 22 and March 23.
The airline cited the “Diard Law,” a 2012 act that obligates flight crew who will strike to notify the company 48 hours before actually striking — which is how the airline can predict accurately how many flights it can operate.
The Air France employees are requesting a 6% pay increase from the airline across the board. (6% is about five times more than the rate of inflation in France.) The unions have said that the airline has not yet given them an actionable response.
The airline’s “Flash Info” page features ongoing updates about the status of flight schedules, with the latest update posted on March 29 at 1 am Paris time at the time of this publishing. Booked passengers will also be notified individually via email and text, according to Air France. The airline also stressed that flights operated by partner carriers such as HOP!, KLM or Delta would not be affected. However, SkyTeam alliance partner Delta Airlines has proactively issued a travel waiver for the impending strike dates.
All travelers booked to travel on March 30 can choose between the following options:
- reschedule the flight any time between March 31–April 5 with no fees, subject to seat availability at the time of rebooking
- receive a voucher to postpone the flight after April 5; change destination or departure airports; or cancel their ticket for a full refund with no additional fees.
Customers can change their reservations via the AirFrance website or app under “Review/Modify your Reservations”; via Twitter with #AirFrance; on Facebook; or by calling the airline directly.
If you wish to cancel your trip as a result of a flight cancellation or significant delay (90 minutes or more), you are entitled to a refund for the unused portion of your ticket. Even if your flight is not canceled, you may make a one-time change to your ticket without fee if you are scheduled to travel to, from, or through the following destination(s) on Delta, Delta Connection, or Delta-coded flights during the specified time periods listed below.
Travel Date: March 30, 2018
- Flights affected: All Air France/HOP/JOON operated flights
- Rebooking date options: March 27 – 29, 2018; March 31 – April 5, 2018
- Tickets must re-issued on or before: April 5
- When rescheduled travel occurs beyond April 5, 2018, the change fee will be waived. However, a difference in fare may apply. Final travel must be completed by end of ticket validity, one year from date of original issue. If travel is not able to be rescheduled within these guidelines, customers may cancel their reservation and apply any unused value of the ticket toward the purchase of a new ticket for a period of one year from the original ticket issuance. Applicable change fee and fare difference will apply for new travel dates. Final travel must be completed by end of ticket validity.
Travel Date: April 3, 2018
- Flights affected: All Air France/HOP/JOON operated flights
- Rebooking date options: April 1-2, 2018; April 4-8, 2018
- Tickets must re-issued on or before: April 8
- When rescheduled travel occurs beyond April 8, 2018, the change fee will be waived. However, a difference in fare may apply. Final travel must be completed by end of ticket validity, one year from date of original issue. If travel is not able to be rescheduled within these guidelines, customers may cancel their reservation and apply any unused value of the ticket toward the purchase of a new ticket for a period of one year from the original ticket issuance. Applicable change fee and fare difference will apply for new travel dates. Final travel must be completed by end of ticket validity.
Featured image courtesy of Air France.
Welcome to The Points Guy!
Earn 90,000 bonus miles after you spend $3,000 in purchases within the first three months of card membership. Plus, earn a $200 statement credit after your first Delta purchase within the first three months. Offer ends 7/28/21.
With Status Boost™, earn 10,000 Medallion Qualification Miles (MQMs) after you spend $25,000 in purchases on your Card in a calendar year, up to two times per year getting you closer to Medallion Status. Earn 3X Miles on Delta purchases and purchases made directly with hotels, 2X Miles at restaurants and at U.S. supermarkets and earn 1X Mile on all other eligible purchases. Terms Apply.
- Limited Time Offer: Earn 90,000 Bonus Miles after spending $3,000 in purchases on your new Card in your first 3 months and a $200 statement credit after you make a Delta purchase with your new Card within your first 3 months. Offer expires 7/28/2021.
- Limited Time Offer: Plus, get a 0% intro APR on purchases for 12 months from the date of account opening, then a variable 15.74%-24.74%. Offer expires 7/28/2021.
- Accelerate your path to Medallion Status, with Status Boost®. Plus, in 2021 you can earn even more bonus Medallion® Qualification Miles (MQMs) to help you reach Medallion Status.
- Earn 3X Miles on Delta purchases and purchases made directly with hotels.
- Earn 2X Miles at restaurants worldwide, including takeout and delivery and at U.S. supermarkets.
- Receive a Domestic Main Cabin round-trip companion certificate each year upon renewal of your Card. *Payment of the government imposed taxes and fees of no more than $75 for roundtrip domestic flights (for itineraries with up to four flight segments) is required. Baggage charges and other restrictions apply. See terms and conditions for details.
- Enjoy your first checked bag free on Delta flights.
- Fee Credit for Global Entry or TSA Pre✓®.
- Enjoy an exclusive rate of $39 per person per visit to enter the Delta Sky Club® for you and up to two guests when traveling on a Delta flight.
- No Foreign Transaction Fees.
- $250 Annual Fee.
- Terms Apply.
- See Rates & Fees