Air France A350s to Feature New Business Seat; First Route Unveiled
This post contains references to products from one or more of our advertisers. We may receive compensation when you click on links to those products. Terms apply to the offers listed on this page. For an explanation of our Advertising Policy, visit this page.
Air France is taking delivery of its first Airbus A350 this year, and we’ve just learned the first route the new aircraft will fly. Airline Route is reporting the carrier’s first A350 will take off on Sept. 23 from Paris (CDG) to Bamako, Mali (BKO) and then onwards to Abidjan, Ivory Coast (ABJ).
The peculiar route includes a fifth-freedom leg between Mali and Ivory Coast, both Francophone countries in West Africa.
The Air France-KLM group has 28 A350-900s on order, with 21 to operate for Air France and the other seven in KLM colors. The first Air France A350 just recently rolled out of the assembly hangar in Toulouse, France.
Air France will be getting a completely new business class product, says The Traveler’s Club, with 34 Zodiac Optima seats laid out in a 1-2-1 configuration. These are actually the same used in United’s new Polaris business class cabins. It’s another new business class product for Air France, which has at least three other variations spread across its Airbus A380 and A330 and Boeing 787 and 777s.
TPG staffers have given great reviews to the United Polaris hard product, so this definitely is a step-up over Air France’s old angle-flat seats on the A380 and 2-2-2 configuration on the A330.
It’s unclear if Air France will make its own customizations to the Optima seat — a video from Safran (which now owns Zodiac) shows what the cabin could potentially look like:
While the A350 is a bit wider than the 787 Dreamliner, you can expect a similar layout to United’s 787-10 Polaris cabin, shown below:
In addition to the business class cabin, Air France’s A350 will feature 24 in seats in Premium Economy laid out in a 2-4-2 configuration and another 266 seats in a 3-3-3 layout.
And of course, the flights will be bookable with miles. Since Air France is a SkyTeam carrier, you can use a number of mileage currencies to nab a seat. Using Air France’s own Flying Blue program may yield the best search results — plus, you can transfer points from all the major credit card programs to Flying Blue.
H/T: One Mile At A Time
(Photo by F. Lancelot/master films by Airbus)
Welcome to The Points Guy!
Earn 90,000 bonus miles and 10,000 Medallion® Qualification Miles (MQMs) after you spend $3,000 in purchases on your new card in the first three months of card membership. Offer ends 11/10/2021.
With Status Boost™, earn 10,000 Medallion Qualification Miles (MQMs) after you spend $25,000 in purchases on your Card in a calendar year, up to two times per year getting you closer to Medallion Status. Earn 3X Miles on Delta purchases and purchases made directly with hotels, 2X Miles at restaurants and at U.S. supermarkets and earn 1X Mile on all other eligible purchases. Terms Apply.
- Limited Time Offer: Earn 90,000 Bonus Miles and 10,000 Medallion® Qualification Miles (MQMs) after you spend $3,000 in purchases on your new Card in your first 3 months. Offer expires 11/10/2021.
- Earn up to 20,000 Medallion® Qualification Miles (MQMs) with Status Boost® per year. After you spend $25,000 in purchases on your Card in a calendar year, you can earn 10,000 MQMs two times per year, getting you closer to Medallion® Status. MQMs are used to determine Medallion® Status and are different than miles you earn toward flights.
- Earn 3X Miles on Delta purchases and purchases made directly with hotels.
- Earn 2X Miles at restaurants worldwide, including takeout and delivery and at U.S. supermarkets.
- Earn 1X Miles on all other eligible purchases.
- Receive a Domestic Main Cabin round-trip companion certificate each year upon renewal of your Card. *Payment of the government imposed taxes and fees of no more than $75 for roundtrip domestic flights (for itineraries with up to four flight segments) is required. Baggage charges and other restrictions apply. See terms and conditions for details.
- Enjoy your first checked bag free on Delta flights.
- Fee Credit for Global Entry or TSA Pre✓®.
- Enjoy an exclusive rate of $39 per person per visit to enter the Delta Sky Club® for you and up to two guests when traveling on a Delta flight.
- No Foreign Transaction Fees.
- $250 Annual Fee.
- Terms Apply.
- See Rates & Fees