Air China Flight Diverts After Passenger Threatens Flight Attendant With Pen
This post contains references to products from one or more of our advertisers. We may receive compensation when you click on links to those products. Terms apply to the offers listed on this page. For an explanation of our Advertising Policy, visit this page.
An Air China flight was diverted after a passenger held a flight attendant in a threatening position with a fountain pen, China’s civil aviation authority said.
Air China Flight 1350 from Changsha (CSX) to Beijing (PEK) diverted to Zhengzhou (CGO) on Sunday after a male passenger threatened a flight attendant. In a statement on its website, the Civil Aviation Administration of China (CAA) said that the man used a fountain pen to hold the flight attendant “under duress.”
“I think someone uttered a cry, which woke us,” one passenger recounted, according to The Straits Times. “Everyone was sleeping… it was a woman’s cry. Nobody knew what was going on.” The passenger said that the crew kept passengers calm and in their seats during the incident.
The CAA said in its statement that after the flight made its emergency landing, both passengers and crew were unharmed. A preliminary investigation concluded that the 41-year-old passenger, only identified by his last name Xu, has a “history of mental illness.”
The aircraft, a Boeing 737-800 (registration B-1958), landed at CGO intact. However, an alternate aircraft was sent to the airport to take passengers onto their final destination of Beijing, Air China said in a statement.
Featured image by Wikimedia Commons.
Welcome to The Points Guy!
Earn 90,000 bonus miles and 10,000 Medallion® Qualification Miles (MQMs) after you spend $3,000 in purchases on your new card in the first three months of card membership. Offer ends 11/10/2021.
With Status Boost™, earn 10,000 Medallion Qualification Miles (MQMs) after you spend $25,000 in purchases on your Card in a calendar year, up to two times per year getting you closer to Medallion Status. Earn 3X Miles on Delta purchases and purchases made directly with hotels, 2X Miles at restaurants and at U.S. supermarkets and earn 1X Mile on all other eligible purchases. Terms Apply.
- Limited Time Offer: Earn 90,000 Bonus Miles and 10,000 Medallion® Qualification Miles (MQMs) after you spend $3,000 in purchases on your new Card in your first 3 months. Offer expires 11/10/2021.
- Earn up to 20,000 Medallion® Qualification Miles (MQMs) with Status Boost® per year. After you spend $25,000 in purchases on your Card in a calendar year, you can earn 10,000 MQMs two times per year, getting you closer to Medallion® Status. MQMs are used to determine Medallion® Status and are different than miles you earn toward flights.
- Earn 3X Miles on Delta purchases and purchases made directly with hotels.
- Earn 2X Miles at restaurants worldwide, including takeout and delivery and at U.S. supermarkets.
- Earn 1X Miles on all other eligible purchases.
- Receive a Domestic Main Cabin round-trip companion certificate each year upon renewal of your Card. *Payment of the government imposed taxes and fees of no more than $75 for roundtrip domestic flights (for itineraries with up to four flight segments) is required. Baggage charges and other restrictions apply. See terms and conditions for details.
- Enjoy your first checked bag free on Delta flights.
- Fee Credit for Global Entry or TSA Pre✓®.
- Enjoy an exclusive rate of $39 per person per visit to enter the Delta Sky Club® for you and up to two guests when traveling on a Delta flight.
- No Foreign Transaction Fees.
- $250 Annual Fee.
- Terms Apply.
- See Rates & Fees