Bomb Scare: Air China Flight Turns Around After Misunderstanding Passenger
This post contains references to products from one or more of our advertisers. We may receive compensation when you click on links to those products. Terms apply to the offers listed on this page. For an explanation of our Advertising Policy, visit this page.
An Air China flight from Paris to Beijing turned around on Thursday after a member of the crew misunderstood a passenger on the phone and thought he was calling in a bomb threat on the plane, officials at Charles de Gaulle Airport (CDG) said.
The unidentified passenger called Air China to say, in English, that he was stuck behind police lines at the airport while police investigated a suspicious package in CDG’s Terminal 1. The Air China employee misunderstood and thought the passenger was reporting a bomb on the Beijing-bound flight.
The miscommunication led to Flight CA876 turning back for Charles de Gaulle, where it was inspected for a bomb away from other aircraft. Chinese media first reported that the plane was turning around due to “suspected terrorist information.”
The suspicious package in the airport was an abandoned box. Airport protocol requires police to set up barriers around any abandon packages and preemptively blow them up in case it is a bomb.
Airport authorities said the flight was rescheduled to takeoff at 9:00pm local time.
Welcome to The Points Guy!
WELCOME OFFER: 80,000 Points
TPG'S BONUS VALUATION*: $1,600
CARD HIGHLIGHTS: 3X points on dining and 2x points on travel, points transferrable to over a dozen travel partners
*Bonus value is an estimated value calculated by TPG and not the card issuer. View our latest valuations here.
- Earn 80,000 bonus points after you spend $4,000 on purchases in the first 3 months from account opening. That's $1,000 when you redeem through Chase Ultimate Rewards®.
- Enjoy benefits such as a $50 annual Ultimate Rewards Hotel Credit, 5x on travel purchased through Chase Ultimate Rewards®, 3x on dining and 2x on all other travel purchases, plus more.
- Get 25% more value when you redeem for airfare, hotels, car rentals and cruises through Chase Ultimate Rewards®. For example, 80,000 points are worth $1,000 toward travel.
- With Pay Yourself Back℠, your points are worth 25% more during the current offer when you redeem them for statement credits against existing purchases in select, rotating categories
- Count on Trip Cancellation/Interruption Insurance, Auto Rental Collision Damage Waiver, Lost Luggage Insurance and more.