Bomb Scare: Air China Flight Turns Around After Misunderstanding Passenger
This post contains references to products from one or more of our advertisers. We may receive compensation when you click on links to those products. Terms apply to the offers listed on this page. For an explanation of our Advertising Policy, visit this page.
An Air China flight from Paris to Beijing turned around on Thursday after a member of the crew misunderstood a passenger on the phone and thought he was calling in a bomb threat on the plane, officials at Charles de Gaulle Airport (CDG) said.
The unidentified passenger called Air China to say, in English, that he was stuck behind police lines at the airport while police investigated a suspicious package in CDG’s Terminal 1. The Air China employee misunderstood and thought the passenger was reporting a bomb on the Beijing-bound flight.
The miscommunication led to Flight CA876 turning back for Charles de Gaulle, where it was inspected for a bomb away from other aircraft. Chinese media first reported that the plane was turning around due to “suspected terrorist information.”
The suspicious package in the airport was an abandoned box. Airport protocol requires police to set up barriers around any abandon packages and preemptively blow them up in case it is a bomb.
Airport authorities said the flight was rescheduled to takeoff at 9:00pm local time.
Welcome to The Points Guy!
WELCOME OFFER: 80,000 Points
TPG'S BONUS VALUATION*: $1,600
CARD HIGHLIGHTS: 2X points on all travel and dining, points transferrable to over a dozen travel partners
*Bonus value is an estimated value calculated by TPG and not the card issuer. View our latest valuations here.
- Earn 80,000 bonus points after you spend $4,000 on purchases in the first 3 months from account opening. That's $1,000 toward travel when you redeem through Chase Ultimate Rewards®.
- 2X points on travel and dining at restaurants worldwide, eligible delivery services, takeout and dining out & 1 point per dollar spent on all other purchases.
- Get 25% more value when you redeem for airfare, hotels, car rentals and cruises through Chase Ultimate Rewards. For example, 80,000 points are worth $1,000 toward travel.
- Get unlimited deliveries with a $0 delivery fee and reduced service fees on orders over $12 for a minimum of one year on qualifying food purchases with DashPass, DoorDash's subscription service. Activate by 12/31/21.
- Earn 5X points on Lyft rides through March 2022. That’s 3X points in addition to the 2X points you already earn on travel.