Bomb Scare: Air China Flight Turns Around After Misunderstanding Passenger
This post contains references to products from one or more of our advertisers. We may receive compensation when you click on links to those products. Terms apply to the offers listed on this page. For an explanation of our Advertising Policy, visit this page.
An Air China flight from Paris to Beijing turned around on Thursday after a member of the crew misunderstood a passenger on the phone and thought he was calling in a bomb threat on the plane, officials at Charles de Gaulle Airport (CDG) said.
The unidentified passenger called Air China to say, in English, that he was stuck behind police lines at the airport while police investigated a suspicious package in CDG’s Terminal 1. The Air China employee misunderstood and thought the passenger was reporting a bomb on the Beijing-bound flight.
The miscommunication led to Flight CA876 turning back for Charles de Gaulle, where it was inspected for a bomb away from other aircraft. Chinese media first reported that the plane was turning around due to “suspected terrorist information.”
The suspicious package in the airport was an abandoned box. Airport protocol requires police to set up barriers around any abandon packages and preemptively blow them up in case it is a bomb.
Airport authorities said the flight was rescheduled to takeoff at 9:00pm local time.
Welcome to The Points Guy!
WELCOME OFFER: 80,000 Points
TPG'S BONUS VALUATION*: $1,650
CARD HIGHLIGHTS: 2X points on all travel and dining, points transferrable to over a dozen travel partners
*Bonus value is an estimated value calculated by TPG and not the card issuer. View our latest valuations here.
- Earn 80,000 bonus points after you spend $4,000 on purchases in the first 3 months from account opening. That's $1,000 when you redeem through Chase Ultimate Rewards®. Plus earn up to $50 in statement credits towards grocery store purchases within your first year of account opening.
- Earn 2X points on dining including eligible delivery services, takeout and dining out and travel. Plus, earn 1 point per dollar spent on all other purchases.
- Get 25% more value when you redeem for airfare, hotels, car rentals and cruises through Chase Ultimate Rewards®. For example, 80,000 points are worth $1,000 toward travel.
- With Pay Yourself Back℠, your points are worth 25% more during the current offer when you redeem them for statement credits against existing purchases in select, rotating categories.
- Get unlimited deliveries with a $0 delivery fee and reduced service fees on eligible orders over $12 for a minimum of one year with DashPass, DoorDash's subscription service. Activate by 12/31/21.
- Count on Trip Cancellation/Interruption Insurance, Auto Rental Collision Damage Waiver, Lost Luggage Insurance and more.
- Get up to $60 back on an eligible Peloton Digital or All-Access Membership through 12/31/2021, and get full access to their workout library through the Peloton app, including cardio, running, strength, yoga, and more. Take classes using a phone, tablet, or TV. No fitness equipment is required.