Air Canada to Acquire 4 Former Singapore Airlines A330s
This post contains references to products from one or more of our advertisers. We may receive compensation when you click on links to those products. Terms apply to the offers listed on this page. For an explanation of our Advertising Policy, visit this page.
Air Canada is adding four semi-new aircraft to its fleet. In 2019, the carrier will acquire four Airbus A330s from TAP Air Portugal. The planes were originally acquired by TAP from Singapore Airlines in 2017, however, since TAP is expected to take delivery of the newer A330-900neo, it’s sending the A330s to Air Canada.
When Air Canada gets the A330s in the second quarter of 2019, they’ll feature the airline’s updated livery, but inside, you can expect to find Singapore Airlines’ seats. And, unfortunately, the seats are far different than what you might expect with Singapore — they’re definitely no Singapore Suites. In fact, the business-class cabin on the A330s feature angle-flat seats. By the end of 2019, the A330s are expected to get an updated interior — reverse herringbone lie-flat seats.
However, there is good news — even if you find yourself flying an A330 business-class product with angle-flat seats. As One Mile at a Time reports, until the A330s are retrofitted, they’ll be marketed by Air Canada as premium economy.
The purchase of the four A330s means Air Canada can continue with its plans to eventually retire aged 767s from service. In 2019, Air Canada will begin to retire the six 767s still left in its fleet, and the newly acquired A330s will act to replace them.
Featured image courtesy of Wikimedia Commons.
Welcome to The Points Guy!
WELCOME OFFER: 80,000 Points
TPG'S BONUS VALUATION*: $1,600
CARD HIGHLIGHTS: 3X points on dining and 2x points on travel, points transferrable to over a dozen travel partners
*Bonus value is an estimated value calculated by TPG and not the card issuer. View our latest valuations here.
- Earn 80,000 bonus points after you spend $4,000 on purchases in the first 3 months from account opening. That's $1,000 when you redeem through Chase Ultimate Rewards®.
- Enjoy benefits such as a $50 annual Ultimate Rewards Hotel Credit, 5x on travel purchased through Chase Ultimate Rewards®, 3x on dining and 2x on all other travel purchases, plus more.
- Get 25% more value when you redeem for airfare, hotels, car rentals and cruises through Chase Ultimate Rewards®. For example, 80,000 points are worth $1,000 toward travel.
- With Pay Yourself Back℠, your points are worth 25% more during the current offer when you redeem them for statement credits against existing purchases in select, rotating categories
- Count on Trip Cancellation/Interruption Insurance, Auto Rental Collision Damage Waiver, Lost Luggage Insurance and more.