Air Canada Reaches Deal With Amex to Remain Partner Under New Loyalty Program
This post contains references to products from one or more of our advertisers. We may receive compensation when you click on links to those products. Terms apply to the offers listed on this page. For an explanation of our Advertising Policy, visit this page.
Air Canada announced on Thursday a new 10-year partnership with American Express. On Thursday, during its annual Investor Day presentation, Air Canada said this will lead to the release of “a suite of new consumer and business cards in 2020” simultaneous with the launch of Air Canada’s new in-house loyalty program.
This partnership also assures that Air Canada’s mileage program will continue to be a partner of American Express Membership Rewards after the switch from Aeroplan to the new unnamed program. The prior agreement was only in place with Aeroplan through mid-2020.
In the Investor Day presentation, Air Canada’s VP of Loyalty and eCommerce Mark Nasr said that the airline’s partnership with Canadian banks is more important to its Canadian members, but this American Express credit card agreement allows “deep penetration into the US market.”
However, details of the new program are still slim. In the same presentation, Nasr said that while the airline is about halfway done with planning its “Capital L Loyalty” program, it’s “premature” to share details at this time.
Instead, the detail that was highlighted in the presentation is Air Canada management’s insistence that the new loyalty program has a “net present value in excess of $2.5B.” Some may see that as especially aggressive considering the airline purchased Aeroplan for a fraction of that, or CA$450 million.
In case you missed that saga, Air Canada and Aeroplan are officially back together after a long and sometimes painful separation. On January 10, 2019 — 17 years after Air Canada spun off its loyalty program as a separate company — the airline completed its re-acquisition of the Aeroplan loyalty program for US$345 million.
This purchase came shortly after Air Canada announced that it’d be launching a new in-house loyalty program and ending the partnership with Aeroplan in 2020. After that announcement, the stock of Aeroplan’s parent company tanked and Air Canada bought Aeroplan back for cents on the dollar.
But even with the re-acquisition of what Air Canada management is now referring to as the “best travel rewards program in Canada,” the airline is still pressing forward with the creation of a new loyalty program.
Aeroplan’s five million members are assured that that Aeroplan miles are still worth collecting. Almost immediately after Air Canada made its first bid to purchase Aeroplan, an airline representative assured me that points will transfer from Aeroplan to Air Canada’s new program at a 1:1 rate. This transfer ratio is still being reflected on Aeroplan’s program update FAQ website:
Featured image by JOEL SAGET/AFP/Getty Images
Welcome to The Points Guy!
Earn 50,000 bonus miles and 5,000 Medallion® Qualification Miles (MQMs) after you spend $2,000 in purchases on your new card in your first three months of card membership. Plus, earn up to $100 back in statement credits for eligible purchases at U.S. restaurants with your card within the first 3 months of membership.
With Status Boost™, earn 10,000 Medallion Qualification Miles (MQMs) after you spend $25,000 in purchases on your Card in a calendar year, up to two times per year getting you closer to Medallion Status. Earn 3X Miles on Delta purchases and purchases made directly with hotels, 2X Miles at restaurants and at U.S. supermarkets and earn 1X Mile on all other eligible purchases. Terms Apply.
- Earn 50,000 bonus miles and 5,000 Medallion® Qualification Miles (MQMs) after you spend $2,000 in purchases on your new Card in your first 3 months.
- Plus, earn up to $100 back in statement credits for eligible purchases at US restaurants with your card within the first 3 months of membership.
- Accelerate your path to Medallion Status, with Status Boost®. Plus, in 2021 you can earn even more bonus Medallion® Qualification Miles (MQMs) to help you reach Medallion Status.
- Earn 3X Miles on Delta purchases and purchases made directly with hotels.
- Earn 2X Miles at restaurants worldwide, including takeout and delivery and at U.S. supermarkets.
- Earn 1X Miles on all other eligible purchases.
- Receive a Domestic Main Cabin round-trip companion certificate each year upon renewal of your Card. *Payment of the government imposed taxes and fees of no more than $75 for roundtrip domestic flights (for itineraries with up to four flight segments) is required. Baggage charges and other restrictions apply. See terms and conditions for details.
- Enjoy your first checked bag free on Delta flights.
- Fee Credit for Global Entry or TSA Pre✓®.
- Enjoy an exclusive rate of $39 per person per visit to enter the Delta Sky Club® for you and up to two guests when traveling on a Delta flight.
- No Foreign Transaction Fees.
- $250 Annual Fee.
- Terms Apply.
- See Rates & Fees