Dramatic Landing: Airbus A320-200 Skids Off Runway During Windy Approach
This post contains references to products from one or more of our advertisers. We may receive compensation when you click on links to those products. Terms apply to the offers listed on this page. For an explanation of our Advertising Policy, visit this page.
An Air Astana Airbus A320-200 skidded off a runway Thursday morning at Astana International Airport (TSE) in Kazakhstan.
Two dramatic videos posted on social media show Air Astana Flight 352 approaching the runway during strong wind gusts. Winds reportedly reached about 49 knots due to thunderstorms in the area near the airport.
One of the videos, taken by a bystander outside the plane, shows the aircraft approaching TSE’s runway 22 at an extreme angle due to heavy crosswind. Upon touching down, the plane crossed two taxiways and veers off the runway.
The other video shows the plane’s approach from inside the aircraft. Panicked passengers and heavy vibrations can be heard on board, as the A320 lands at a sideways angle. TSE shut down for about 40 minutes follow the incident. The aircraft suffered damage to one of its engines.
After the plane skidded, it was towed to the apron. None of the flight’s 97 passengers or nine crew members were injured in the incident, according to AvHerald.
Typically, pilots will use the airplane’s rudder to correct the direction the nose is pointing to ensure the plane stays on the runway as it slows down.
Featured image by Wikimedia Commons.
H/T: Airways Mag
Welcome to The Points Guy!
Earn 50,000 bonus miles and 5,000 Medallion® Qualification Miles (MQMs) after you spend $2,000 in purchases on your new card in your first three months of card membership. Plus, earn up to $100 back in statement credits for eligible purchases at U.S. restaurants with your card within the first 3 months of membership.
With Status Boost™, earn 10,000 Medallion Qualification Miles (MQMs) after you spend $25,000 in purchases on your Card in a calendar year, up to two times per year getting you closer to Medallion Status. Earn 3X Miles on Delta purchases and purchases made directly with hotels, 2X Miles at restaurants and at U.S. supermarkets and earn 1X Mile on all other eligible purchases. Terms Apply.
- Earn 50,000 bonus miles and 5,000 Medallion® Qualification Miles (MQMs) after you spend $2,000 in purchases on your new Card in your first 3 months.
- Plus, earn up to $100 back in statement credits for eligible purchases at US restaurants with your card within the first 3 months of membership.
- Accelerate your path to Medallion Status, with Status Boost®. Plus, in 2021 you can earn even more bonus Medallion® Qualification Miles (MQMs) to help you reach Medallion Status.
- Earn 3X Miles on Delta purchases and purchases made directly with hotels.
- Earn 2X Miles at restaurants worldwide, including takeout and delivery and at U.S. supermarkets.
- Earn 1X Miles on all other eligible purchases.
- Receive a Domestic Main Cabin round-trip companion certificate each year upon renewal of your Card. *Payment of the government imposed taxes and fees of no more than $75 for roundtrip domestic flights (for itineraries with up to four flight segments) is required. Baggage charges and other restrictions apply. See terms and conditions for details.
- Enjoy your first checked bag free on Delta flights.
- Fee Credit for Global Entry or TSA Pre✓®.
- Enjoy an exclusive rate of $39 per person per visit to enter the Delta Sky Club® for you and up to two guests when traveling on a Delta flight.
- No Foreign Transaction Fees.
- $250 Annual Fee.
- Terms Apply.
- See Rates & Fees