Dramatic Landing: Airbus A320-200 Skids Off Runway During Windy Approach
This post contains references to products from one or more of our advertisers. We may receive compensation when you click on links to those products. Terms apply to the offers listed on this page. For an explanation of our Advertising Policy, visit this page.
An Air Astana Airbus A320-200 skidded off a runway Thursday morning at Astana International Airport (TSE) in Kazakhstan.
Two dramatic videos posted on social media show Air Astana Flight 352 approaching the runway during strong wind gusts. Winds reportedly reached about 49 knots due to thunderstorms in the area near the airport.
One of the videos, taken by a bystander outside the plane, shows the aircraft approaching TSE’s runway 22 at an extreme angle due to heavy crosswind. Upon touching down, the plane crossed two taxiways and veers off the runway.
The other video shows the plane’s approach from inside the aircraft. Panicked passengers and heavy vibrations can be heard on board, as the A320 lands at a sideways angle. TSE shut down for about 40 minutes follow the incident. The aircraft suffered damage to one of its engines.
After the plane skidded, it was towed to the apron. None of the flight’s 97 passengers or nine crew members were injured in the incident, according to AvHerald.
Typically, pilots will use the airplane’s rudder to correct the direction the nose is pointing to ensure the plane stays on the runway as it slows down.
Featured image by Wikimedia Commons.
H/T: Airways Mag
Welcome to The Points Guy!
WELCOME OFFER: 80,000 Points
TPG'S BONUS VALUATION*: $1,650
CARD HIGHLIGHTS: 2X points on all travel and dining, points transferrable to over a dozen travel partners
*Bonus value is an estimated value calculated by TPG and not the card issuer. View our latest valuations here.
- Earn 80,000 bonus points after you spend $4,000 on purchases in the first 3 months from account opening. That's $1,000 when you redeem through Chase Ultimate Rewards®. Plus earn up to $50 in statement credits towards grocery store purchases within your first year of account opening.
- Earn 2X points on dining including eligible delivery services, takeout and dining out and travel. Plus, earn 1 point per dollar spent on all other purchases.
- Get 25% more value when you redeem for airfare, hotels, car rentals and cruises through Chase Ultimate Rewards®. For example, 80,000 points are worth $1,000 toward travel.
- With Pay Yourself Back℠, your points are worth 25% more during the current offer when you redeem them for statement credits against existing purchases in select, rotating categories.
- Get unlimited deliveries with a $0 delivery fee and reduced service fees on eligible orders over $12 for a minimum of one year with DashPass, DoorDash's subscription service. Activate by 12/31/21.
- Count on Trip Cancellation/Interruption Insurance, Auto Rental Collision Damage Waiver, Lost Luggage Insurance and more.
- Get up to $60 back on an eligible Peloton Digital or All-Access Membership through 12/31/2021, and get full access to their workout library through the Peloton app, including cardio, running, strength, yoga, and more. Take classes using a phone, tablet, or TV. No fitness equipment is required.