Aggressive American Passenger Causes Fight, Triggers Dutch Air Force Escort
This post contains references to products from one or more of our advertisers. We may receive compensation when you click on links to those products. Terms apply to the offers listed on this page. For an explanation of our Advertising Policy, visit this page.
The Dutch military was called in to intervene when an aggressive American passenger on board a KLM flight caused a fight to erupt mid-journey.
KLM Flight 452 from Abu Dhabi to Amsterdam was about 30 minutes from landing on Saturday when a scuffle broke out between the aggressive passenger and cabin crew. As a result of the fight, the Dutch air force deployed two F-16 fighter jets to escort the Airbus A330-200.
“A 29-year-old American man became aggressive after being asked by a purser to return to his seat,” said Joanna Helmonds, a spokesperson for the gendarmerie, which serves as the Netherlands’ border police. “A scuffle broke out and the cabin crew, together with other passengers, managed to restrain the man.”
The KLM flight was given special clearance to land immediately at AMS. Upon landing, the man was arrested by police, examined at the airport and determined by police to come across as disoriented. Helmonds told AFP that the man was admitted to a psychiatric institution for observation.
A number of passengers experienced light injuries, including two who were given black eyes during the altercation.
A spokesperson from KLM told AFP that the airline “regretted the unpleasant incident,” but that its cabin crew followed the correct protocol for dealing with an unruly passenger.
Featured image by schulzhattingen / Getty Images.
Welcome to The Points Guy!
WELCOME OFFER: 80,000 Points
TPG'S BONUS VALUATION*: $1,650
CARD HIGHLIGHTS: 2X points on all travel and dining, points transferrable to over a dozen travel partners
*Bonus value is an estimated value calculated by TPG and not the card issuer. View our latest valuations here.
- Earn 80,000 bonus points after you spend $4,000 on purchases in the first 3 months from account opening. That's $1,000 when you redeem through Chase Ultimate Rewards®. Plus earn up to $50 in statement credits towards grocery store purchases within your first year of account opening.
- Earn 2X points on dining including eligible delivery services, takeout and dining out and travel. Plus, earn 1 point per dollar spent on all other purchases.
- Get 25% more value when you redeem for airfare, hotels, car rentals and cruises through Chase Ultimate Rewards®. For example, 80,000 points are worth $1,000 toward travel.
- With Pay Yourself Back℠, your points are worth 25% more during the current offer when you redeem them for statement credits against existing purchases in select, rotating categories.
- Get unlimited deliveries with a $0 delivery fee and reduced service fees on eligible orders over $12 for a minimum of one year with DashPass, DoorDash's subscription service. Activate by 12/31/21.
- Count on Trip Cancellation/Interruption Insurance, Auto Rental Collision Damage Waiver, Lost Luggage Insurance and more.
- Get up to $60 back on an eligible Peloton Digital or All-Access Membership through 12/31/2021, and get full access to their workout library through the Peloton app, including cardio, running, strength, yoga, and more. Take classes using a phone, tablet, or TV. No fitness equipment is required.