Aggressive American Passenger Causes Fight, Triggers Dutch Air Force Escort
This post contains references to products from one or more of our advertisers. We may receive compensation when you click on links to those products. Terms apply to the offers listed on this page. For an explanation of our Advertising Policy, visit this page.
The Dutch military was called in to intervene when an aggressive American passenger on board a KLM flight caused a fight to erupt mid-journey.
KLM Flight 452 from Abu Dhabi to Amsterdam was about 30 minutes from landing on Saturday when a scuffle broke out between the aggressive passenger and cabin crew. As a result of the fight, the Dutch air force deployed two F-16 fighter jets to escort the Airbus A330-200.
“A 29-year-old American man became aggressive after being asked by a purser to return to his seat,” said Joanna Helmonds, a spokesperson for the gendarmerie, which serves as the Netherlands’ border police. “A scuffle broke out and the cabin crew, together with other passengers, managed to restrain the man.”
The KLM flight was given special clearance to land immediately at AMS. Upon landing, the man was arrested by police, examined at the airport and determined by police to come across as disoriented. Helmonds told AFP that the man was admitted to a psychiatric institution for observation.
A number of passengers experienced light injuries, including two who were given black eyes during the altercation.
A spokesperson from KLM told AFP that the airline “regretted the unpleasant incident,” but that its cabin crew followed the correct protocol for dealing with an unruly passenger.
Featured image by schulzhattingen / Getty Images.
Welcome to The Points Guy!
Earn 90,000 bonus miles and 10,000 Medallion® Qualification Miles (MQMs) after you spend $3,000 in purchases on your new card in the first three months of card membership. Offer ends 11/10/2021.
With Status Boost™, earn 10,000 Medallion Qualification Miles (MQMs) after you spend $25,000 in purchases on your Card in a calendar year, up to two times per year getting you closer to Medallion Status. Earn 3X Miles on Delta purchases and purchases made directly with hotels, 2X Miles at restaurants and at U.S. supermarkets and earn 1X Mile on all other eligible purchases. Terms Apply.
- Limited Time Offer: Earn 90,000 Bonus Miles and 10,000 Medallion® Qualification Miles (MQMs) after you spend $3,000 in purchases on your new Card in your first 3 months. Offer expires 11/10/2021.
- Earn up to 20,000 Medallion® Qualification Miles (MQMs) with Status Boost® per year. After you spend $25,000 in purchases on your Card in a calendar year, you can earn 10,000 MQMs two times per year, getting you closer to Medallion® Status. MQMs are used to determine Medallion® Status and are different than miles you earn toward flights.
- Earn 3X Miles on Delta purchases and purchases made directly with hotels.
- Earn 2X Miles at restaurants worldwide, including takeout and delivery and at U.S. supermarkets.
- Earn 1X Miles on all other eligible purchases.
- Receive a Domestic Main Cabin round-trip companion certificate each year upon renewal of your Card. *Payment of the government imposed taxes and fees of no more than $75 for roundtrip domestic flights (for itineraries with up to four flight segments) is required. Baggage charges and other restrictions apply. See terms and conditions for details.
- Enjoy your first checked bag free on Delta flights.
- Fee Credit for Global Entry or TSA Pre✓®.
- Enjoy an exclusive rate of $39 per person per visit to enter the Delta Sky Club® for you and up to two guests when traveling on a Delta flight.
- No Foreign Transaction Fees.
- $250 Annual Fee.
- Terms Apply.
- See Rates & Fees