Aggressive American Passenger Causes Fight, Triggers Dutch Air Force Escort
This post contains references to products from one or more of our advertisers. We may receive compensation when you click on links to those products. Terms apply to the offers listed on this page. For an explanation of our Advertising Policy, visit this page.
The Dutch military was called in to intervene when an aggressive American passenger on board a KLM flight caused a fight to erupt mid-journey.
KLM Flight 452 from Abu Dhabi to Amsterdam was about 30 minutes from landing on Saturday when a scuffle broke out between the aggressive passenger and cabin crew. As a result of the fight, the Dutch air force deployed two F-16 fighter jets to escort the Airbus A330-200.
“A 29-year-old American man became aggressive after being asked by a purser to return to his seat,” said Joanna Helmonds, a spokesperson for the gendarmerie, which serves as the Netherlands’ border police. “A scuffle broke out and the cabin crew, together with other passengers, managed to restrain the man.”
The KLM flight was given special clearance to land immediately at AMS. Upon landing, the man was arrested by police, examined at the airport and determined by police to come across as disoriented. Helmonds told AFP that the man was admitted to a psychiatric institution for observation.
A number of passengers experienced light injuries, including two who were given black eyes during the altercation.
A spokesperson from KLM told AFP that the airline “regretted the unpleasant incident,” but that its cabin crew followed the correct protocol for dealing with an unruly passenger.
Featured image by schulzhattingen / Getty Images.
WELCOME OFFER: 60,000 Points
TPG'S BONUS VALUATION*: $1,200
CARD HIGHLIGHTS: 2X points on all travel and dining, points transferrable to over a dozen travel partners
*Bonus value is an estimated value calculated by TPG and not the card issuer. View our latest valuations here.
- Earn 60,000 bonus points after you spend $4,000 on purchases in the first 3 months from account opening. That's $750 toward travel when you redeem through Chase Ultimate Rewards®
- 2X points on travel and dining at restaurants worldwide & 1 point per dollar spent on all other purchases.
- Get 25% more value when you redeem for airfare, hotels, car rentals and cruises through Chase Ultimate Rewards. For example, 60,000 points are worth $750 toward travel
- No delivery fees for a minimum of one year on qualifying food purchases with a DashPass subscription from DoorDash -over a $100 value. Activate with your Chase Sapphire card by December 31, 2021.
- Earn 5X points on Lyft rides through March 2022. That’s 3X points in addition to the 2X points you already earn on travel.