Japan Airlines Shows You What NOT to Do During an Evacuation
This post contains references to products from one or more of our advertisers. We may receive compensation when you click on links to those products. Terms apply to the offers listed on this page. For an explanation of our Advertising Policy, visit this page.
Frequent flyers are well aware that all luggage must be left on the plane during an emergency evacuation. Bags and other items can block the aisles, damage slides and slow everyone down when every second counts. But all too often, we see passengers walking away from an emergency landing with their carry-ons in tow, sometimes with devastating results.
Now, in a bold but welcome move, Japan Airlines is highlighting various careless (and even life-threatening) acts in its latest safety video. The contents are familiar at first — fasten your seatbelt, put your device in airplane mode, and so on — then, towards the end, the tone changes drastically…
First, JAL issues a stern warning via a flight attendant, followed by an animation of a selfish flyer endangering his fellow passengers as he struggles to remove his bag from the overhead. Next, we see a woman recklessly attempt to slide down wearing her high-heeled shoes. Consider this required viewing ahead of your next flight, but it’s also worth a watch on the ground.
As always, be sure to pay attention to all flight attendant instructions — when a crew member tells you to leave your bags and other items behind, they absolutely mean it. See 7 Tips for Staying Alive in a Plane Emergency for more potentially life-saving advice from TPG.
Welcome to The Points Guy!
Earn 90,000 bonus miles after you spend $3,000 in purchases on your new Card in your first 3 months. Offer ends 8/3/2022.
With Status Boost™, earn 10,000 Medallion Qualification Miles (MQMs) after you spend $25,000 in purchases on your Card in a calendar year, up to two times per year getting you closer to Medallion Status. Earn 3X Miles on Delta purchases and purchases made directly with hotels, 2X Miles at restaurants and at U.S. supermarkets and earn 1X Mile on all other eligible purchases. Terms Apply.
- Limited Time Offer: Earn 90,000 bonus miles after you spend $3,000 in purchases on your new Card in your first 3 months. Offer ends 8/3/2022.
- Earn up to 20,000 Medallion® Qualification Miles (MQMs) with Status Boost® per year. After you spend $25,000 in purchases on your Card in a calendar year, you can earn 10,000 MQMs up to two times per year, getting you closer to Medallion® Status. MQMs are used to determine Medallion® Status and are different than miles you earn toward flights.
- Earn 3X Miles on Delta purchases and purchases made directly with hotels.
- Earn 2X Miles at restaurants worldwide including takeout and delivery in the U.S., and at U.S. supermarkets.
- Earn 1X Miles on all other eligible purchases.
- Receive a Domestic Main Cabin round-trip companion certificate each year upon renewal of your Card. Payment of the government imposed taxes and fees of no more than $80 for roundtrip domestic flights (for itineraries with up to four flight segments) is required. Baggage charges and other restrictions apply. See terms and conditions for details.
- Enjoy your first checked bag free on Delta flights.
- Fee Credit for Global Entry or TSA PreCheck® after you apply through any Authorized Enrollment Provider. If approved for Global Entry, at no additional charge, you will receive access to TSA PreCheck.
- Enjoy an exclusive rate of $39 per person per visit to enter the Delta Sky Club® for you and up to two guests when traveling on a Delta flight.
- No Foreign Transaction Fees.
- $250 Annual Fee.
- Terms Apply.
- See Rates & Fees