After 4 Years, Airbus Finally Sells the Jet That Nobody Wanted
This post contains references to products from one or more of our advertisers. We may receive compensation when you click on links to those products. Terms apply to the offers listed on this page. For an explanation of our Advertising Policy, visit this page.
But Kuwait Airways is saving a dying program by ordering eight of the wide-body aircraft, it confirmed today.
After five months of negotiation, Kuwait’s national carrier placed an order for the jets that retail at about $255 million. That puts the deal at more than $2 billion dollars, although it’s likely Kuwait Airways received a discount on the aircraft since Airbus has had such trouble selling them. As part of the negotiation, Kuwait is reducing its A350-900 order from 10 jets to five.
The airline will start taking deliveries of the A330-800neo in March 2019 and will receive its last jet at the end of 2026.
The A330neo program is Airbus’ attempt to revamp its popular A330 program with more fuel efficient aircraft that have a longer range. It’s received 224 orders for the larger A330-900, which can seat 287 passengers, while the smaller -800 has a capacity of 257 passengers.
Once it starts flying all of its new aircraft, Kuwait Airways’ fleet will consist of five A350-900s, eight A330-800neos, 15 Airbus A320neos and 10 Boeing 777-300ERs, The National reports.
“The A330-800 will seamlessly fit into our fleet expansion and growth plans… We are confident that the A330-800 will support us to compete effectively on our expanding route network,” Yousef Al-Jassim, chairman of Kuwait Airways, said in a statement.
Featured image courtesy of Airbus.
Welcome to The Points Guy!
Earn 90,000 bonus miles and 10,000 Medallion® Qualification Miles (MQMs) after you spend $3,000 in purchases on your new card in the first three months of card membership. Offer ends 11/10/2021.
With Status Boost™, earn 10,000 Medallion Qualification Miles (MQMs) after you spend $25,000 in purchases on your Card in a calendar year, up to two times per year getting you closer to Medallion Status. Earn 3X Miles on Delta purchases and purchases made directly with hotels, 2X Miles at restaurants and at U.S. supermarkets and earn 1X Mile on all other eligible purchases. Terms Apply.
- Limited Time Offer: Earn 90,000 Bonus Miles and 10,000 Medallion® Qualification Miles (MQMs) after you spend $3,000 in purchases on your new Card in your first 3 months. Offer expires 11/10/2021.
- Earn up to 20,000 Medallion® Qualification Miles (MQMs) with Status Boost® per year. After you spend $25,000 in purchases on your Card in a calendar year, you can earn 10,000 MQMs two times per year, getting you closer to Medallion® Status. MQMs are used to determine Medallion® Status and are different than miles you earn toward flights.
- Earn 3X Miles on Delta purchases and purchases made directly with hotels.
- Earn 2X Miles at restaurants worldwide, including takeout and delivery and at U.S. supermarkets.
- Earn 1X Miles on all other eligible purchases.
- Receive a Domestic Main Cabin round-trip companion certificate each year upon renewal of your Card. *Payment of the government imposed taxes and fees of no more than $75 for roundtrip domestic flights (for itineraries with up to four flight segments) is required. Baggage charges and other restrictions apply. See terms and conditions for details.
- Enjoy your first checked bag free on Delta flights.
- Fee Credit for Global Entry or TSA Pre✓®.
- Enjoy an exclusive rate of $39 per person per visit to enter the Delta Sky Club® for you and up to two guests when traveling on a Delta flight.
- No Foreign Transaction Fees.
- $250 Annual Fee.
- Terms Apply.
- See Rates & Fees