After 4 Years, Airbus Finally Sells the Jet That Nobody Wanted
This post contains references to products from one or more of our advertisers. We may receive compensation when you click on links to those products. Terms apply to the offers listed on this page. For an explanation of our Advertising Policy, visit this page.
But Kuwait Airways is saving a dying program by ordering eight of the wide-body aircraft, it confirmed today.
After five months of negotiation, Kuwait’s national carrier placed an order for the jets that retail at about $255 million. That puts the deal at more than $2 billion dollars, although it’s likely Kuwait Airways received a discount on the aircraft since Airbus has had such trouble selling them. As part of the negotiation, Kuwait is reducing its A350-900 order from 10 jets to five.
The airline will start taking deliveries of the A330-800neo in March 2019 and will receive its last jet at the end of 2026.
The A330neo program is Airbus’ attempt to revamp its popular A330 program with more fuel efficient aircraft that have a longer range. It’s received 224 orders for the larger A330-900, which can seat 287 passengers, while the smaller -800 has a capacity of 257 passengers.
Once it starts flying all of its new aircraft, Kuwait Airways’ fleet will consist of five A350-900s, eight A330-800neos, 15 Airbus A320neos and 10 Boeing 777-300ERs, The National reports.
“The A330-800 will seamlessly fit into our fleet expansion and growth plans… We are confident that the A330-800 will support us to compete effectively on our expanding route network,” Yousef Al-Jassim, chairman of Kuwait Airways, said in a statement.
Featured image courtesy of Airbus.
Welcome to The Points Guy!
WELCOME OFFER: 80,000 Points
TPG'S BONUS VALUATION*: $1,600
CARD HIGHLIGHTS: 3X points on dining and 2x points on travel, points transferrable to over a dozen travel partners
*Bonus value is an estimated value calculated by TPG and not the card issuer. View our latest valuations here.
- Earn 80,000 bonus points after you spend $4,000 on purchases in the first 3 months from account opening. That's $1,000 when you redeem through Chase Ultimate Rewards®.
- Enjoy benefits such as a $50 annual Ultimate Rewards Hotel Credit, 5x on travel purchased through Chase Ultimate Rewards®, 3x on dining and 2x on all other travel purchases, plus more.
- Get 25% more value when you redeem for airfare, hotels, car rentals and cruises through Chase Ultimate Rewards®. For example, 80,000 points are worth $1,000 toward travel.
- With Pay Yourself Back℠, your points are worth 25% more during the current offer when you redeem them for statement credits against existing purchases in select, rotating categories
- Count on Trip Cancellation/Interruption Insurance, Auto Rental Collision Damage Waiver, Lost Luggage Insurance and more.