Update on TPG and Lonely Planet efforts to help Miles4Migrants save refugees
This post contains references to products from one or more of our advertisers. We may receive compensation when you click on links to those products. Terms apply to the offers listed on this page. For an explanation of our Advertising Policy, visit this page.
Editor’s note: This post has been updated with final numbers from our charity drive.
The images out of Afghanistan were horrifying, with thousands of Afghans trying desperately to be among the last people evacuated from the country as America’s longest war came to a traumatic end.
Lonely Planet and TPG, along with our parent company Red Ventures, teamed up with one of our favorite charities to help refugees in Afghanistan and around the world.
And we have an update on the final numbers. Together, we got more than 5.5 million miles donated! The cash value is more than $117,000!
Readers also donated more than $10,000 in cash, and TPG matched that with a $10,000 donation. Lonely Planet added another $10,000. That’s more than $30,000 in cash. Readers also donated almost $1,500 in flight vouchers.
Miles4Migrants let us know this is the second-highest number of miles raised in any partner campaign and also one of the highest cash amounts they’ve been able to raise.
Donate your airline miles, credit card points or travel vouchers via this landing page: miles4migrants.org/TPGLP.
Just because the match period is over doesn’t mean you can’t still donate. Use the landing page above to donate if you are moved.
What is Miles4Migrants?
Miles4Migrants is a nonprofit that accepts airline miles, credit card points and travel vouchers as donations from people just like you, and uses them to book airfare for those fleeing persecution, poverty or political or ethnic violence. Miles4Migrants has helped over 4,800 people using over 79 million points and miles.
On Afghanistan, Miles4Migrants said, “We have been working expeditiously with our charity partners to help families escape the Taliban takeover of the Afghan government. Miles4Migrants remains firmly committed to assisting our partners in getting Afghan families to safety.”
For more TPG news delivered each morning to your inbox, sign up for our daily newsletter.
Miles4Migrants partners with other nonprofits to identify refugees, asylum-seekers and immediate family members who have legal approval to travel but cannot afford airfare.
You can donate from a range of airline loyalty and credit card rewards programs. Miles4Migrants tells me they need Aeroplan, United Airlines and American Airlines miles most of all. But the need is great, and they accept donations from most programs, including:
- Alaska Airlines.
- Amtrak Guest Rewards.
- Southwest Airlines.
- Flying Blue.
- American Express Membership Rewards.
- Chase Ultimate Rewards.
- Capital One.
To give miles, you can make a pledge on Miles4Migrants’ website. The minimum pledge size varies based on the minimum amount needed to book a ticket with each program. For most programs, the flight booking team at Miles4Migrants will work to match your miles pledged to an individual in need.
Once a match has been found, they will contact you with the recipient’s information and you can book the flight yourself, or Miles4Migrants can do it for you with your help. Oftentimes, you will receive a story and photo of the person or family your miles are helping fly.
If you have Alaska, Aeroplan or United miles to donate, Miles4Migrants has direct relationships with these airlines, so you’ll be able to donate directly into their pooled account. Pooled accounts provide Miles4Migrants with greater flexibility and efficiency when booking, so these miles are always greatly appreciated.
Cash donations are tax deductible, but donations of miles, points and vouchers are not.
Besides frequent flyer miles, you can also donate travel vouchers and cash. Miles4Migrants currently accepts vouchers from Alaska Airlines, United, Southwest, JetBlue Airways and Allegiant Air. Cash donations also help to cover any award taxes, fees and surcharges.
Related: We love Miles4Migrants: Here’s why
Miles4Migrants wanted us to be sure to also point out that “donations are used to fund our most urgent cases, which includes (but is not entirely limited to) Afghan flights.”
Featured photo by David Sacks/Getty Images.
Welcome to The Points Guy!
Earn 90,000 bonus miles and 10,000 Medallion® Qualification Miles (MQMs) after you spend $3,000 in purchases on your new card in the first three months of card membership. Offer ends 11/10/2021.
With Status Boost™, earn 10,000 Medallion Qualification Miles (MQMs) after you spend $25,000 in purchases on your Card in a calendar year, up to two times per year getting you closer to Medallion Status. Earn 3X Miles on Delta purchases and purchases made directly with hotels, 2X Miles at restaurants and at U.S. supermarkets and earn 1X Mile on all other eligible purchases. Terms Apply.
- Limited Time Offer: Earn 90,000 Bonus Miles and 10,000 Medallion® Qualification Miles (MQMs) after you spend $3,000 in purchases on your new Card in your first 3 months. Offer expires 11/10/2021.
- Earn up to 20,000 Medallion® Qualification Miles (MQMs) with Status Boost® per year. After you spend $25,000 in purchases on your Card in a calendar year, you can earn 10,000 MQMs two times per year, getting you closer to Medallion® Status. MQMs are used to determine Medallion® Status and are different than miles you earn toward flights.
- Earn 3X Miles on Delta purchases and purchases made directly with hotels.
- Earn 2X Miles at restaurants worldwide, including takeout and delivery and at U.S. supermarkets.
- Earn 1X Miles on all other eligible purchases.
- Receive a Domestic Main Cabin round-trip companion certificate each year upon renewal of your Card. *Payment of the government imposed taxes and fees of no more than $75 for roundtrip domestic flights (for itineraries with up to four flight segments) is required. Baggage charges and other restrictions apply. See terms and conditions for details.
- Enjoy your first checked bag free on Delta flights.
- Fee Credit for Global Entry or TSA Pre✓®.
- Enjoy an exclusive rate of $39 per person per visit to enter the Delta Sky Club® for you and up to two guests when traveling on a Delta flight.
- No Foreign Transaction Fees.
- $250 Annual Fee.
- Terms Apply.
- See Rates & Fees