Air Canada Aeroplan will add Oman Air as newest partner
This post contains references to products from one or more of our advertisers. We may receive compensation when you click on links to those products. Terms apply to the offers listed on this page. For an explanation of our Advertising Policy, visit this page.
If you have points accrued in the Aeroplan program, they may be getting even more valuable in the weeks to come. While you can already redeem your points with more than 45 airlines, a new partner will soon be added to the list: Oman Air.
Unfortunately, details are still very scant, as we won’t know full earning rates and redemption options until later this month.
However, Aeroplan’s distance-based award chart may provide clues into what this might look like. If you are redeeming points on a partner airline, you typically need a set number of points based on the mileage between the two destinations. And if Oman Air follows a similar redemption scheme, there’s potential for some solid value.
For example, a flight from London to Muscat — Oman Air’s hub — is 3,629 flight miles. Since the flight is under 5,000 miles, the Aeroplan chart indicates that a one-way flight will cost 35,000 points in economy, 55,000 points in business class or 90,000 points in first class.
However, it’s worth noting that not all Aeroplan partners allow first-class award redemptions — so it’s possible that the same will hold true for Oman Air. And again, we won’t have more details until later this month.
That said, it’s important to note that this announcement represents more than just another airline on which you can redeem Aeroplan points. As it currently stands, it’s not very easy to use a mainstream program to book award flights on Oman Air. While the carrier does have a few codeshare partnerships, the only practical way to snag award tickets is through the Etihad Guest program — which is a transfer partner of Citi ThankYou Rewards and American Express Membership Rewards.
Now, with the Aeroplan partnership, it opens up an entirely new opportunity to book a flight on Oman Air. And fortunately, earning Aeroplan points is pretty easy, without even stepping foot on a plane.
Since Aeroplan partners with several transferable points programs, you can transfer points to Aeroplan at the following ratios:
- American Express Membership Rewards: 1:1
- Chase Ultimate Rewards: 1:1
- Capital One miles: 1:1
- Marriott Bonvoy: 3:1 (with a 5,000-point bonus for every 60,000 points transferred)
Additionally, Aeroplan just launched a U.S. version of its cobranded credit card, where earning points with everyday spend is also possible.
Other ways to earn Aeroplan points includes crediting points earned from flying partner airlines to Aeroplan, purchasing points during a buy-miles promotion and using the carrier’s online shopping portal. Fortunately, Aeroplan also allows you to pool your points with your family, where you can link up to eight Aeroplan accounts and share your points for award redemptions.
Although the full details of the partnership are not yet known, this is a great addition to both the Aeroplan partnership and to those looking to fly Oman Air. And it represents yet another enhancement to Air Canada’s program — which took home a 2021 TPG Award for investment in airline loyalty. In fact, Oman Air is the ninth new partner for Aeroplan in the last two years alone, demonstrating the carrier’s clear commitment to delivering value for its members.
As more details are released, we will be sure to share more about the partnership.
Featured image by Zach Honig / The Points Guy
Welcome to The Points Guy!
Receive 1 Free Night Award every year after your Card account anniversary. Plus, earn an additional Free Night Award after you spend $60K in purchases on your Card in a calendar year. Awards can be used for one night (redemption level at or under 35,000 Marriott Bonvoy points) at hotels participating in the Marriott Bonvoy program.
- Limited Time Offer: Earn 125,000 Marriott Bonvoy Bonus Points after spending $5,000 in purchases on your new Card in your first 3 months of Card Membership. Offer expires 8/31/22.
- 6x points at hotels participating in the Marriott Bonvoy™ program.
- 4x points for purchases made at restaurants worldwide, at U.S. gas stations, on wireless telephone services purchased directly from U.S. service providers and on U.S. purchases for shipping.
- 2x points on all other eligible purchases.
- Receive a 7% discount off standard rates for reservations of standard guest rooms at hotels that participate in the Marriott Bonvoy program when you book directly. Terms and Conditions Apply.
- Receive 1 Free Night Award every year after your Card renewal month. Plus, earn an additional Free Night Award after you spend $60K in purchases on your Card in a calendar year. Awards can be used for one night (redemption level at or under 35,000 Marriott Bonvoy points) at a participating hotel. Certain hotels have resort fees.
- Enjoy Complimentary Marriott Bonvoy Gold Elite Status with your Card.
- Terms apply.
- See Rates & Fees