This post contains references to products from one or more of our advertisers. We may receive compensation when you click on links to those products. For an explanation of our Advertising Policy, visit this page.
Air Canada’s frequent flyer program Aeroplan is currently running a promotion where you can earn a 25% bonus when converting hotel points to Aeroplan miles. When stacked on top of the standard 25% bonus you get when you transfer SPG Starpoints to Aeroplan in blocks of 20,000 points, you’ll effectively earn a 56% net bonus with this deal.
You have to convert your hotel points before April 16 to qualify for the promo, and bonus points could take 4-6 weeks to hit your account. Different hotel programs have different transfer ratios, but the best is probably SPG’s at 1:1, especially when combining the SPG and Aeroplan bonuses together. Other options include Marriott, Wyndham and Hilton, but the transfer ratios from those programs are all pretty poor.
As a member of the Star Alliance, Aeroplan has some great sweet spots in its award chart. You can fly Lufthansa First Class to Europe — one of the great first class products in the sky — for just 70,000 miles one-way and a few hundred dollars in fuel surcharges. That’s a ticket that usually goes for $6,500.
Since you’ll net 31,250 Aeroplan miles for each 20,000 Starpoints you transfer, you’d need to convert just 46,000 Starpoints to fly in Lufthansa first. Remember though that you’d probably be better off converting either 40,000 or 60,000 Starpoints to make sure you’re always maximizing the SPG bonus for transferring in blocks of 20,000 points.
Other solid Aeroplan redemptions include flying to Europe in business for 55,000 miles one-way on one of the many Star Alliance airlines like SAS, Swiss and United, or taking advantage of Aeroplan’s generous stopover and open jaw rules. Or convert 50,000 SPG points to Aeroplan and fly in Turkish business class from the US to the Indian subcontinent, East, West & South Africa or Asia 1 — which includes China, Eastern Russia, Hong Kong, Japan, Macau, Mongolia, South Korea and Taiwan.
Keep in mind that Aeroplan miles may be difficult to use once Air Canada cuts ties with the program in June 2020, which is when the carrier plans on launching its own loyalty program. Also, unfortunately, this bonus doesn’t count when trying to obtain a valuable Marriott Hotel + Air package.
- Earn 75,000 Bonus Points after you use your new Card to make $3,000 in purchases within the first 3 months.
- Earn 6 points for each dollar of eligible purchases at participating SPG® and Marriott Rewards® hotels and 2 points on all other eligible purchases.
- No Foreign Transaction Fees on International purchases.
- Receive 1 Free Night Award every year after your Card account anniversary. Award can be used for one night (redemption level at or under 35,000 points) at a participating hotel. Select hotels have resort fees.
- Enjoy complimentary, unlimited Boingo Wi-Fi on up to four devices at more than 1,000,000 Boingo hotspots worldwide. Enrollment required.
- $0 introductory annual fee for the first year, then $95.
- Terms Apply.
- See Rates & Fees