This post contains references to products from one or more of our advertisers. We may receive compensation when you click on links to those products. For an explanation of our Advertising Policy, visit this page.
Air Canada’s frequent flyer program Aeroplan is currently running a promotion where you can earn a 25% bonus when converting hotel points to Aeroplan miles. When stacked on top of the standard 25% bonus you get when you transfer SPG Starpoints to Aeroplan in blocks of 20,000 points, you’ll effectively earn a 56% net bonus with this deal.
You have to convert your hotel points before April 16 to qualify for the promo, and bonus points could take 4-6 weeks to hit your account. Different hotel programs have different transfer ratios, but the best is probably SPG’s at 1:1, especially when combining the SPG and Aeroplan bonuses together. Other options include Marriott, Wyndham and Hilton, but the transfer ratios from those programs are all pretty poor.
As a member of the Star Alliance, Aeroplan has some great sweet spots in its award chart. You can fly Lufthansa First Class to Europe — one of the great first class products in the sky — for just 70,000 miles one-way and a few hundred dollars in fuel surcharges. That’s a ticket that usually goes for $6,500.
Since you’ll net 31,250 Aeroplan miles for each 20,000 Starpoints you transfer, you’d need to convert just 46,000 Starpoints to fly in Lufthansa first. Remember though that you’d probably be better off converting either 40,000 or 60,000 Starpoints to make sure you’re always maximizing the SPG bonus for transferring in blocks of 20,000 points.
Other solid Aeroplan redemptions include flying to Europe in business for 55,000 miles one-way on one of the many Star Alliance airlines like SAS, Swiss and United, or taking advantage of Aeroplan’s generous stopover and open jaw rules. Or convert 50,000 SPG points to Aeroplan and fly in Turkish business class from the US to the Indian subcontinent, East, West & South Africa or Asia 1 — which includes China, Eastern Russia, Hong Kong, Japan, Macau, Mongolia, South Korea and Taiwan.
Keep in mind that Aeroplan miles may be difficult to use once Air Canada cuts ties with the program in June 2020, which is when the carrier plans on launching its own loyalty program. Also, unfortunately, this bonus doesn’t count when trying to obtain a valuable Marriott Hotel + Air package.
- Earn a $100 statement credit after you make $1,000 in purchases on the Card within your first 3 months of Card Membership.
- Plus, earn an additional $100 statement credit after your first purchase on the Card at a participating SPG® or Marriott Rewards® hotel within your first 6 months of Card Membership.
- From now through July 31, 2018: Earn 2 Starpoints® for every dollar of eligible purchases on the Card at participating SPG® and Marriott Rewards® hotels. Earn 1 Starpoint for all other eligible purchases.
- On August 1, 2018, SPG will convert every one Starpoint in a loyalty member account to three points. In general, corresponding redemption changes will occur. Visit members.marriott.com for details.
- Effective August 1, 2018: Earn 6 points for every dollar of eligible purchases on the Card at participating SPG and Marriott Rewards® hotels. Earn 2 points for all other eligible purchases.
- No Foreign Transaction Fees on International purchases.
- Earn free nights at over 1,500 hotels and resorts in over 100 countries with no blackout dates. Some hotels may have mandatory service and resort charges.
- Enjoy complimentary, unlimited Boingo Wi-Fi on up to four devices at more than 1,000,000 Boingo hotspots worldwide. Enrollment required.
- $0 introductory annual fee for the first year, then $95.
- Terms Apply.
- See Rates & Fees