This post contains references to products from one or more of our advertisers. We may receive compensation when you click on links to those products. For an explanation of our Advertising Policy, visit this page.
“Mexico’s first destination is America. But America’s first destination is not Mexico.”
These two sentences kick off Aeromexico’s viral “DNA Discounts” commercial. The whimsical video goes on to interview some Americans in Wharton, Texas, regarding their perceptions of Mexico as a destination to visit, with varying responses. The kicker: Each of the interviewees, it turns out, has some Mexican ancestry.
“We did a DNA test to find out their percentage of Mexican ancestry, and turned that into discounts,” the video narrator says, explaining that the history of mutual immigration between the United States and its neighbor to the south dates back as far as the early 1800s, especially in southwestern states such as Arizona and Utah. “A big percentage of Mexican descendants in the USA don’t even know it yet. The more Mexican they are, the more discount they get.”
In the video, each interviewee is informed of his or her ancestry on-camera, with varying responses. The amount of their Aeromexico flight discount is proportionate to their Mexican heritage. “You are eligible for a 15% discount to go to Mexico,” the interviewer tells one blonde woman, who grins and pumps her fist. “What do you think of that?”
“Yes!” she replies with a laugh. “I love discounts.”
Another man is far more flabbergasted by his 22% ancestry results. “Oh come on, now,” he says with skepticism. “Seriously?!”
According to the commercial, the discount will be extended to eligible residents of Arizona, New Mexico, Texas, Louisiana, Arkansas, Mississippi, Alabama and Tennessee, although Aeromexico has not formally made any acknowledgement of the ad, which was produced by advertising agency Ogilvy, which represents the airline. In the video, the letters EE.UU appear on the map as well, representing the Spanish acronym, which abbreviates the phrase, “Soy de Los Estados Unidos”: I’m from the United States.
TPG has reached out to Aeromexico for comment, but had not heard back as of the time of publication.
All photos courtesy of Aeromexico.
For more TPG news delivered each morning to your inbox, sign up for our daily newsletter here: https://thepointsguy.com/mailing-list/
Know before you go.
News and deals straight to your inbox every day.
LIMITED TIME OFFER: 70,000 Miles
TPG'S BONUS VALUATION: $980
CARD HIGHLIGHTS: 2x miles on AA purchases plus 2x miles at gas stations and at telecommunications merchants, cable and satellite providers and car rental merchants. Get your first checked bag free.
- Designed for businesses
- For a limited time: Earn 70,000 American Airlines AAdvantage® bonus miles after making $4,000 in purchases in first 4 months of account opening*
- First checked bag is free on domestic American Airlines itineraries to reduce travel costs and boost your bottom line*
- 25% savings on American Airlines inflight Wi-Fi when you use your card*
- Enjoy preferred boarding on American Airlines flights*
- Earn 2 AAdvantage® miles per $1 spent on eligible American Airlines purchases
- Earn 2 AAdvantage® miles per $1 spent on purchases at telecommunications merchants, cable and satellite providers, car rental merchants and at gas stations*
- Earn 1 AAdvantage® mile per $1 spent on other purchases*
- No Foreign Transaction Fees*