Aeromexico Adds Free In-Flight Messaging on Boeing 787 Dreamliners
This post contains references to products from one or more of our advertisers. We may receive compensation when you click on links to those products. Terms apply to the offers listed on this page. For an explanation of our Advertising Policy, visit this page.
Passengers traveling on long-haul flights operated by Aeromexico will now be able to stay connected in flight, free of charge. Aeromexico, Mexico’s largest airline, recently expanded its free in-flight messaging service to its fleet of Boeing 787 Dreamliners. With the introduction of free in-flight messaging to the 787, passengers traveling on all Aeromexico widebodies and 44 of the airline’s 53 Boeing 737s can now access the feature.
Aeromexico is the only Mexican airline to offer free in-flight texting and messaging. The service was first rolled out to 44 of the airline’s 53 Boeing 737s in March of 2019. While passengers flying aboard the majority of Aeromexico’s Boeing 737s, the airline’s workhorse in North America, were offered free in-flight messaging, passengers traveling on Aeromexico’s longest flights operated by Boeing 787 Dreamliners had been required to pay for the service.
However, this is no longer the case. Passengers traveling both throughout North America and to Aeromexico’s South American, European, and Asian destinations can access free in-flight messaging as long as they’re on Wi-Fi equipped planes.
Passengers wishing to connect to Aeromexico’s free in-flight messaging service must first enable airplane mode. Once the device is placed in airplane mode, users should turn on Wi-Fi services. Passengers can then select Aeromexico’s in-flight Wi-Fi network via their device. Upon connecting to the in-flight Wi-Fi, a landing page should appear. The in-flight Wi-Fi landing page will provide passes for in-flight Wi-Fi connectivity as well as enable free in-flight messaging.
In addition to free in-flight messaging, Aeromexico currently offers Gogo’s satellite-based 2Ku in-flight Wi-Fi aboard its fleet of Boeing 737s and Panasonic’s satellite-based Wi-Fi service aboard its Boeing 787 Dreamliners.
In recent years, Aeromexico has undergone a rather significant transformation to compete with other North American and global carriers. This transformation is also partly the result of Aeromexico’s partnership with Delta Air Lines. Delta currently owns 49% of Grupo Aerméxico, the parent company of Aeromexico. (More on Aeromexico: Review: Flying Aeromexico’s 787-8 From Mexico City to Santiago)
Aeromexico’s expanded free in-flight messaging is available now, similar to the service offered by US carriers. Passengers can send texts via their device’s messaging app as well as send messages via popular applications including Facebook Messenger and WhatsApp. Passengers wishing to send media files including photos, video, or audio, will be required to purchase in-flight Wi-Fi.
For the latest travel news, deals, and points and miles tips please subscribe to The Points Guy daily email newsletter.
Featured image by Max Prosperi/The Points Guy
Welcome to The Points Guy!
WELCOME OFFER: 80,000 Points
TPG'S BONUS VALUATION*: $1,650
CARD HIGHLIGHTS: 2X points on all travel and dining, points transferrable to over a dozen travel partners
*Bonus value is an estimated value calculated by TPG and not the card issuer. View our latest valuations here.
- Earn 80,000 bonus points after you spend $4,000 on purchases in the first 3 months from account opening. That's $1,000 when you redeem through Chase Ultimate Rewards®. Plus earn up to $50 in statement credits towards grocery store purchases within your first year of account opening.
- Earn 2X points on dining including eligible delivery services, takeout and dining out and travel. Plus, earn 1 point per dollar spent on all other purchases.
- Get 25% more value when you redeem for airfare, hotels, car rentals and cruises through Chase Ultimate Rewards®. For example, 80,000 points are worth $1,000 toward travel.
- With Pay Yourself Back℠, your points are worth 25% more during the current offer when you redeem them for statement credits against existing purchases in select, rotating categories.
- Get unlimited deliveries with a $0 delivery fee and reduced service fees on eligible orders over $12 for a minimum of one year with DashPass, DoorDash's subscription service. Activate by 12/31/21.
- Count on Trip Cancellation/Interruption Insurance, Auto Rental Collision Damage Waiver, Lost Luggage Insurance and more.
- Get up to $60 back on an eligible Peloton Digital or All-Access Membership through 12/31/2021, and get full access to their workout library through the Peloton app, including cardio, running, strength, yoga, and more. Take classes using a phone, tablet, or TV. No fitness equipment is required.