Aeromexico Adds Free In-Flight Messaging on Boeing 787 Dreamliners
This post contains references to products from one or more of our advertisers. We may receive compensation when you click on links to those products. Terms apply to the offers listed on this page. For an explanation of our Advertising Policy, visit this page.
Passengers traveling on long-haul flights operated by Aeromexico will now be able to stay connected in flight, free of charge. Aeromexico, Mexico’s largest airline, recently expanded its free in-flight messaging service to its fleet of Boeing 787 Dreamliners. With the introduction of free in-flight messaging to the 787, passengers traveling on all Aeromexico widebodies and 44 of the airline’s 53 Boeing 737s can now access the feature.
Aeromexico is the only Mexican airline to offer free in-flight texting and messaging. The service was first rolled out to 44 of the airline’s 53 Boeing 737s in March of 2019. While passengers flying aboard the majority of Aeromexico’s Boeing 737s, the airline’s workhorse in North America, were offered free in-flight messaging, passengers traveling on Aeromexico’s longest flights operated by Boeing 787 Dreamliners had been required to pay for the service.
However, this is no longer the case. Passengers traveling both throughout North America and to Aeromexico’s South American, European, and Asian destinations can access free in-flight messaging as long as they’re on Wi-Fi equipped planes.
Passengers wishing to connect to Aeromexico’s free in-flight messaging service must first enable airplane mode. Once the device is placed in airplane mode, users should turn on Wi-Fi services. Passengers can then select Aeromexico’s in-flight Wi-Fi network via their device. Upon connecting to the in-flight Wi-Fi, a landing page should appear. The in-flight Wi-Fi landing page will provide passes for in-flight Wi-Fi connectivity as well as enable free in-flight messaging.
In addition to free in-flight messaging, Aeromexico currently offers Gogo’s satellite-based 2Ku in-flight Wi-Fi aboard its fleet of Boeing 737s and Panasonic’s satellite-based Wi-Fi service aboard its Boeing 787 Dreamliners.
In recent years, Aeromexico has undergone a rather significant transformation to compete with other North American and global carriers. This transformation is also partly the result of Aeromexico’s partnership with Delta Air Lines. Delta currently owns 49% of Grupo Aerméxico, the parent company of Aeromexico. (More on Aeromexico: Review: Flying Aeromexico’s 787-8 From Mexico City to Santiago)
Aeromexico’s expanded free in-flight messaging is available now, similar to the service offered by US carriers. Passengers can send texts via their device’s messaging app as well as send messages via popular applications including Facebook Messenger and WhatsApp. Passengers wishing to send media files including photos, video, or audio, will be required to purchase in-flight Wi-Fi.
For the latest travel news, deals, and points and miles tips please subscribe to The Points Guy daily email newsletter.
Featured image by Max Prosperi/The Points Guy
Welcome to The Points Guy!
Earn 90,000 bonus miles and 10,000 Medallion® Qualification Miles (MQMs) after you spend $3,000 in purchases on your new card in the first three months of card membership. Offer ends 11/10/2021.
With Status Boost™, earn 10,000 Medallion Qualification Miles (MQMs) after you spend $25,000 in purchases on your Card in a calendar year, up to two times per year getting you closer to Medallion Status. Earn 3X Miles on Delta purchases and purchases made directly with hotels, 2X Miles at restaurants and at U.S. supermarkets and earn 1X Mile on all other eligible purchases. Terms Apply.
- Limited Time Offer: Earn 90,000 Bonus Miles and 10,000 Medallion® Qualification Miles (MQMs) after you spend $3,000 in purchases on your new Card in your first 3 months. Offer expires 11/10/2021.
- Earn up to 20,000 Medallion® Qualification Miles (MQMs) with Status Boost® per year. After you spend $25,000 in purchases on your Card in a calendar year, you can earn 10,000 MQMs two times per year, getting you closer to Medallion® Status. MQMs are used to determine Medallion® Status and are different than miles you earn toward flights.
- Earn 3X Miles on Delta purchases and purchases made directly with hotels.
- Earn 2X Miles at restaurants worldwide, including takeout and delivery and at U.S. supermarkets.
- Earn 1X Miles on all other eligible purchases.
- Receive a Domestic Main Cabin round-trip companion certificate each year upon renewal of your Card. *Payment of the government imposed taxes and fees of no more than $75 for roundtrip domestic flights (for itineraries with up to four flight segments) is required. Baggage charges and other restrictions apply. See terms and conditions for details.
- Enjoy your first checked bag free on Delta flights.
- Fee Credit for Global Entry or TSA Pre✓®.
- Enjoy an exclusive rate of $39 per person per visit to enter the Delta Sky Club® for you and up to two guests when traveling on a Delta flight.
- No Foreign Transaction Fees.
- $250 Annual Fee.
- Terms Apply.
- See Rates & Fees