Aeroflot’s Award-Winning Dog Service Now Has Its Own Breed
This post contains references to products from one or more of our advertisers. We may receive compensation when you click on links to those products. Terms apply to the offers listed on this page. For an explanation of our Advertising Policy, visit this page.
The Russian flagship airline Aeroflot has officially registered its very own breed of dog with the Russian Cynological Federation. While this might sound unusual for an airline, Aeroflot is no newcomer to the area of working dogs. The company is well known for its sniffer dog program that is used by the airline as well as at airports.
Frequent flyers will be familiar with the sight of working dogs in airports. Aeroflot’s program has been in operation since 2001 and currently has 50 dogs in its program. Aeroflot uses a hybrid breed, the Shalaika — a cross of Lapponian herders and Turkmen golden jackals — specially developed for the airline by Klim Sulimov. Sulimov was on hand for the announcement at Sheremetyevo International Airport (SVO). The dogs were presented by Aeroflot’s Deputy Head of Aviation Security Azat Zaripov, and Deputy CEO of Sheremetyevo Security Akexander Shalov, who discussed how the airline as well as the airport use dogs to ensure safety for both passengers and aircraft.
Aeroflot is continuing to push forward with its sniffer dog program. It has also developed an olfactory monitoring system. The system uses hardware and software, which includes special gear for dogs. The system is designed to help identify substances the working dogs detect and relay that information to an operator’s computer. The new technology will be on display in 2019 at the Eurasia 2019 international dog show.
All images courtesy of Aeroflot.
Welcome to The Points Guy!
Earn 90,000 bonus miles after you spend $3,000 in purchases on your new Card in your first 3 months. Offer ends 8/3/2022.
With Status Boost™, earn 10,000 Medallion Qualification Miles (MQMs) after you spend $25,000 in purchases on your Card in a calendar year, up to two times per year getting you closer to Medallion Status. Earn 3X Miles on Delta purchases and purchases made directly with hotels, 2X Miles at restaurants and at U.S. supermarkets and earn 1X Mile on all other eligible purchases. Terms Apply.
- Limited Time Offer: Earn 90,000 bonus miles after you spend $3,000 in purchases on your new Card in your first 3 months. Offer ends 8/3/2022.
- Earn up to 20,000 Medallion® Qualification Miles (MQMs) with Status Boost® per year. After you spend $25,000 in purchases on your Card in a calendar year, you can earn 10,000 MQMs up to two times per year, getting you closer to Medallion® Status. MQMs are used to determine Medallion® Status and are different than miles you earn toward flights.
- Earn 3X Miles on Delta purchases and purchases made directly with hotels.
- Earn 2X Miles at restaurants worldwide including takeout and delivery in the U.S., and at U.S. supermarkets.
- Earn 1X Miles on all other eligible purchases.
- Receive a Domestic Main Cabin round-trip companion certificate each year upon renewal of your Card. Payment of the government imposed taxes and fees of no more than $80 for roundtrip domestic flights (for itineraries with up to four flight segments) is required. Baggage charges and other restrictions apply. See terms and conditions for details.
- Enjoy your first checked bag free on Delta flights.
- Fee Credit for Global Entry or TSA PreCheck® after you apply through any Authorized Enrollment Provider. If approved for Global Entry, at no additional charge, you will receive access to TSA PreCheck.
- Enjoy an exclusive rate of $39 per person per visit to enter the Delta Sky Club® for you and up to two guests when traveling on a Delta flight.
- No Foreign Transaction Fees.
- $250 Annual Fee.
- Terms Apply.
- See Rates & Fees