Aeroflot’s Award-Winning Dog Service Now Has Its Own Breed
This post contains references to products from one or more of our advertisers. We may receive compensation when you click on links to those products. Terms apply to the offers listed on this page. For an explanation of our Advertising Policy, visit this page.
The Russian flagship airline Aeroflot has officially registered its very own breed of dog with the Russian Cynological Federation. While this might sound unusual for an airline, Aeroflot is no newcomer to the area of working dogs. The company is well known for its sniffer dog program that is used by the airline as well as at airports.
Frequent flyers will be familiar with the sight of working dogs in airports. Aeroflot’s program has been in operation since 2001 and currently has 50 dogs in its program. Aeroflot uses a hybrid breed, the Shalaika — a cross of Lapponian herders and Turkmen golden jackals — specially developed for the airline by Klim Sulimov. Sulimov was on hand for the announcement at Sheremetyevo International Airport (SVO). The dogs were presented by Aeroflot’s Deputy Head of Aviation Security Azat Zaripov, and Deputy CEO of Sheremetyevo Security Akexander Shalov, who discussed how the airline as well as the airport use dogs to ensure safety for both passengers and aircraft.
Aeroflot is continuing to push forward with its sniffer dog program. It has also developed an olfactory monitoring system. The system uses hardware and software, which includes special gear for dogs. The system is designed to help identify substances the working dogs detect and relay that information to an operator’s computer. The new technology will be on display in 2019 at the Eurasia 2019 international dog show.
All images courtesy of Aeroflot.
Welcome to The Points Guy!
WELCOME OFFER: 80,000 Points
TPG'S BONUS VALUATION*: $1,650
CARD HIGHLIGHTS: 2X points on all travel and dining, points transferrable to over a dozen travel partners
*Bonus value is an estimated value calculated by TPG and not the card issuer. View our latest valuations here.
- Earn 80,000 bonus points after you spend $4,000 on purchases in the first 3 months from account opening. That's $1,000 when you redeem through Chase Ultimate Rewards®. Plus earn up to $50 in statement credits towards grocery store purchases within your first year of account opening.
- Earn 2X points on dining including eligible delivery services, takeout and dining out and travel. Plus, earn 1 point per dollar spent on all other purchases.
- Get 25% more value when you redeem for airfare, hotels, car rentals and cruises through Chase Ultimate Rewards®. For example, 80,000 points are worth $1,000 toward travel.
- With Pay Yourself Back℠, your points are worth 25% more during the current offer when you redeem them for statement credits against existing purchases in select, rotating categories.
- Get unlimited deliveries with a $0 delivery fee and reduced service fees on eligible orders over $12 for a minimum of one year with DashPass, DoorDash's subscription service. Activate by 12/31/21.
- Count on Trip Cancellation/Interruption Insurance, Auto Rental Collision Damage Waiver, Lost Luggage Insurance and more.
- Get up to $60 back on an eligible Peloton Digital or All-Access Membership through 12/31/2021, and get full access to their workout library through the Peloton app, including cardio, running, strength, yoga, and more. Take classes using a phone, tablet, or TV. No fitness equipment is required.