Add It to the Bucket List: Paint With Sea Lions in the Florida Keys
This post contains references to products from one or more of our advertisers. We may receive compensation when you click on links to those products. Terms apply to the offers listed on this page. For an explanation of our Advertising Policy, visit this page.
Swimming with pigs is cool and all, but heading home with an original piece of artwork by a sea creature-turned-artist might be a bit cooler. Head to Theater of the Sea in the Florida Keys, and you can spend some time painting a picture with a sea lion.
Don’t worry about your own painting skill level — you’re relatively off of the hook when it comes to being creative. Visitors are tasked with the easy part: choosing the colors. The rest is up to the sea lion. With some help and a few signals from a trainer, the sea lion will create a completely unique piece of artwork for you to take home.
In all honesty, the pieces more resemble the artwork you may see coming out of a kindergarten art class, but they are one-of-a-kind. Find a frame for your sea lion’s art and you’ve got quite the conversation piece.
Even though you don’t get to do any painting yourself, you will get a chance to wave and interact with your artist. The experience costs $95 per person and the proceeds go toward Theater of the Sea’s animal enrichment program, according to the park’s website. This money is used to “increase physical activity, provide mental stimulation, encourage species appropriate behavior, and promote positive social interaction.”
The entire painting session will take 30 minutes (with a 10-minute orientation), but there are plenty of other activities at the park to fill your day. If you’re still looking to do some swimming with animals, you can take a dip with sea lions, sharks, rays, and dolphins. There’s also a lagoon beach open to guests who want to take a break and swim, sunbathe, or snorkel.
For more information on booking tickets, head to the Theater of the Sea website.
Welcome to The Points Guy!
Earn 90,000 bonus miles and 10,000 Medallion® Qualification Miles (MQMs) after you spend $3,000 in purchases on your new card in the first three months of card membership. Offer ends 11/10/2021.
With Status Boost™, earn 10,000 Medallion Qualification Miles (MQMs) after you spend $25,000 in purchases on your Card in a calendar year, up to two times per year getting you closer to Medallion Status. Earn 3X Miles on Delta purchases and purchases made directly with hotels, 2X Miles at restaurants and at U.S. supermarkets and earn 1X Mile on all other eligible purchases. Terms Apply.
- Limited Time Offer: Earn 90,000 Bonus Miles and 10,000 Medallion® Qualification Miles (MQMs) after you spend $3,000 in purchases on your new Card in your first 3 months. Offer expires 11/10/2021.
- Earn up to 20,000 Medallion® Qualification Miles (MQMs) with Status Boost® per year. After you spend $25,000 in purchases on your Card in a calendar year, you can earn 10,000 MQMs two times per year, getting you closer to Medallion® Status. MQMs are used to determine Medallion® Status and are different than miles you earn toward flights.
- Earn 3X Miles on Delta purchases and purchases made directly with hotels.
- Earn 2X Miles at restaurants worldwide, including takeout and delivery and at U.S. supermarkets.
- Earn 1X Miles on all other eligible purchases.
- Receive a Domestic Main Cabin round-trip companion certificate each year upon renewal of your Card. *Payment of the government imposed taxes and fees of no more than $75 for roundtrip domestic flights (for itineraries with up to four flight segments) is required. Baggage charges and other restrictions apply. See terms and conditions for details.
- Enjoy your first checked bag free on Delta flights.
- Fee Credit for Global Entry or TSA Pre✓®.
- Enjoy an exclusive rate of $39 per person per visit to enter the Delta Sky Club® for you and up to two guests when traveling on a Delta flight.
- No Foreign Transaction Fees.
- $250 Annual Fee.
- Terms Apply.
- See Rates & Fees