Add It to the Bucket List: Paint With Sea Lions in the Florida Keys
This post contains references to products from one or more of our advertisers. We may receive compensation when you click on links to those products. Terms apply to the offers listed on this page. For an explanation of our Advertising Policy, visit this page.
Swimming with pigs is cool and all, but heading home with an original piece of artwork by a sea creature-turned-artist might be a bit cooler. Head to Theater of the Sea in the Florida Keys, and you can spend some time painting a picture with a sea lion.
Don’t worry about your own painting skill level — you’re relatively off of the hook when it comes to being creative. Visitors are tasked with the easy part: choosing the colors. The rest is up to the sea lion. With some help and a few signals from a trainer, the sea lion will create a completely unique piece of artwork for you to take home.
In all honesty, the pieces more resemble the artwork you may see coming out of a kindergarten art class, but they are one-of-a-kind. Find a frame for your sea lion’s art and you’ve got quite the conversation piece.
Even though you don’t get to do any painting yourself, you will get a chance to wave and interact with your artist. The experience costs $95 per person and the proceeds go toward Theater of the Sea’s animal enrichment program, according to the park’s website. This money is used to “increase physical activity, provide mental stimulation, encourage species appropriate behavior, and promote positive social interaction.”
The entire painting session will take 30 minutes (with a 10-minute orientation), but there are plenty of other activities at the park to fill your day. If you’re still looking to do some swimming with animals, you can take a dip with sea lions, sharks, rays, and dolphins. There’s also a lagoon beach open to guests who want to take a break and swim, sunbathe, or snorkel.
For more information on booking tickets, head to the Theater of the Sea website.
Welcome to The Points Guy!
WELCOME OFFER: 80,000 Points
TPG'S BONUS VALUATION*: $1,650
CARD HIGHLIGHTS: 2X points on all travel and dining, points transferrable to over a dozen travel partners
*Bonus value is an estimated value calculated by TPG and not the card issuer. View our latest valuations here.
- Earn 80,000 bonus points after you spend $4,000 on purchases in the first 3 months from account opening. That's $1,000 when you redeem through Chase Ultimate Rewards®. Plus earn up to $50 in statement credits towards grocery store purchases within your first year of account opening.
- Earn 2X points on dining including eligible delivery services, takeout and dining out and travel. Plus, earn 1 point per dollar spent on all other purchases.
- Get 25% more value when you redeem for airfare, hotels, car rentals and cruises through Chase Ultimate Rewards®. For example, 80,000 points are worth $1,000 toward travel.
- With Pay Yourself Back℠, your points are worth 25% more during the current offer when you redeem them for statement credits against existing purchases in select, rotating categories.
- Get unlimited deliveries with a $0 delivery fee and reduced service fees on eligible orders over $12 for a minimum of one year with DashPass, DoorDash's subscription service. Activate by 12/31/21.
- Count on Trip Cancellation/Interruption Insurance, Auto Rental Collision Damage Waiver, Lost Luggage Insurance and more.
- Get up to $60 back on an eligible Peloton Digital or All-Access Membership through 12/31/2021, and get full access to their workout library through the Peloton app, including cardio, running, strength, yoga, and more. Take classes using a phone, tablet, or TV. No fitness equipment is required.