This post contains references to products from one or more of our advertisers. We may receive compensation when you click on links to those products. For an explanation of our Advertising Policy, visit this page.
The Chase Freedom card is one of the top no-annual-fee credit cards. And you don’t need to take my word for it: The Chase Freedom was a finalist in reader voting for the Best No-Fee Credit Card of the Year for the TPG Awards.
Why’s that? While the card only earns 1% cashback on everyday purchases, there’s a rotating list of categories that get 5% cashback quarterly. Even better, you can transform that 5% cashback into 5x Ultimate Rewards points if you have an Ultimate Rewards-earning Chase credit card like the Chase Sapphire Reserve Card or the Chase Sapphire Preferred Card. While it’s not a superstar on its own, the Chase Freedom is a great card when utilized in a larger credit card portfolio.
But, in order to score these earnings, you must register before making purchases. While you won’t be able to start earning 5x for another two weeks, registration is open so you might as well register now. That way you can start earning 5x from Day 1.
Here’s how to register:
- Head to the Chase bonus activation page.
- Enter your last name, last four digits of your card number and your billing zip code. If you don’t have your card on hand, you can log into your Chase account to retrieve these digits.
- Click “Activate Now” to register.
- If you have multiple Chase Freedom cards, make sure to register each one.
- Save a screenshot of your activation, just in case there are any issues later.
Chase Freedom cardholders shouldn’t forget to max out their purchases at wholesale clubs, department stores and through Chase Pay now through the end of December. You can earn 5% cashback / 5x points on up to $1,500 of qualifying purchases each quarter. If you’re not sure how much you’ve spent so far, here’s a guide to checking your progress.
If you’re not already a cardholder, now’s as good a time as any to sign up. The Chase Freedom is currently offering a sign-up bonus of $150 (or 15,000 points) after you spend $500 in the first three months. You can redeem points for cashback (100 points = $1), or transfer them to Chase Ultimate Rewards if you have the Chase Sapphire Preferred Card or the Chase Sapphire Reserve Card. From there, you can transfer Ultimate Rewards points to travel partners like Southwest, Hyatt and United.
It's a stellar cash back card on its own, but when paired with the Chase Sapphire Reserve or Chase Sapphire Preferred, the Freedom's 5x Category Bonuses let you rack up Chase Ultimate Rewards Points, transferrable to partners or redeemable via the portal.
- 0% Intro APR for 15 months from account opening on purchases and balance transfers, then a variable APR of 16.99-25.74%. Balance transfer fee is 3% of the amount transferred, $5 minimum
- Earn a $150 Bonus after you spend $500 on purchases in your first 3 months from account opening
- Earn 5% cash back on up to $1,500 in combined purchases in bonus categories each quarter you activate
- Enjoy new 5% categories each quarter
- Unlimited 1% cash back on all other purchases - it's automatic
- Cash Back rewards do not expire as long as your account is open and there is no minimum to redeem for cash back.
- Free credit score, updated weekly with Credit Journey℠
- No annual fee