Accused Southwest Groper Says President OK’d His Actions
This post contains references to products from one or more of our advertisers. We may receive compensation when you click on links to those products. Terms apply to the offers listed on this page. For an explanation of our Advertising Policy, visit this page.
The Florida man accused of having groped a sleeping woman during their Southwest Airlines flight from Houston, Texas, to Albuquerque, New Mexico, on Sunday told police his actions were OK because the president said so, according to authorities.
After 15 to 20 minutes aboard Flight 5421 from William P. Hobby Airport (HOU) to Albuquerque International Sunport (ABQ), Bruce Michael Alexander, 49, of Tampa, Florida, reached around the seat in front of him and fondled a female passenger’s torso, arm and the area around “the bra line,” police said. The woman, who did not know Alexander, told him to stop and asked to be moved to another seat. The crew notified law enforcement, who were waiting when the plane landed in New Mexico.
Alexander said he spent most of the flight asleep, but as he was being transported to jail in handcuffs, told officers that he was within his rights to molest the woman because “the president of the United States says it’s ok to grab women by their private parts,” according to the criminal complaint.
Federal authorities formally charged Alexander with abusive sexual contact on Monday, and he remains in custody. He faces two years in prison and a $250,000 fine if he is found guilty.
Featured image by Alberto Riva / The Points Guy.
Welcome to The Points Guy!
WELCOME OFFER: 80,000 Points
TPG'S BONUS VALUATION*: $1,600
CARD HIGHLIGHTS: 3X points on dining and 2x points on travel, points transferrable to over a dozen travel partners
*Bonus value is an estimated value calculated by TPG and not the card issuer. View our latest valuations here.
- Earn 80,000 bonus points after you spend $4,000 on purchases in the first 3 months from account opening. That's $1,000 when you redeem through Chase Ultimate Rewards®.
- Enjoy benefits such as a $50 annual Ultimate Rewards Hotel Credit, 5x on travel purchased through Chase Ultimate Rewards®, 3x on dining and 2x on all other travel purchases, plus more.
- Get 25% more value when you redeem for airfare, hotels, car rentals and cruises through Chase Ultimate Rewards®. For example, 80,000 points are worth $1,000 toward travel.
- With Pay Yourself Back℠, your points are worth 25% more during the current offer when you redeem them for statement credits against existing purchases in select, rotating categories
- Count on Trip Cancellation/Interruption Insurance, Auto Rental Collision Damage Waiver, Lost Luggage Insurance and more.