American Airlines Flight From Zurich to Philadelphia Diverts Due to ‘Maintenance’
This post contains references to products from one or more of our advertisers. We may receive compensation when you click on links to those products. Terms apply to the offers listed on this page. For an explanation of our Advertising Policy, visit this page.
An American Airlines flight en route from Zurich (ZRH) to Philadelphia (PHL) diverted to London (LHR) after declaring an emergency mid-flight on Friday.
The Boeing 767-300 (registration N349AN) departed from its gate at ZRH just after 11:40am local time and was more than one hour into flight when it began diverting north toward LHR.
The aircraft landed without incident at LHR just after 12:30pm local time on runway 09L.
At this point, not much is known about the incident or what caused the aircraft to divert other than a maintenance issue. Spokespeople from AA have confirmed that a maintenance team on the ground at LHR is evaluating the aircraft.
*Update 3/30/18 10:55am ET: An AA spokesperson told TPG that the airline is in the process of moving passengers to other flights — both with British Airways and/or American. For travelers who aren’t placed on Friday flights, American is providing hotel accommodations overnight and will place passengers on flights that depart from London on Saturday morning.
The American Airlines customer relations team will be reaching out to all affected passengers.
Welcome to The Points Guy!
Earn 90,000 bonus miles after you spend $3,000 in purchases on your new Card in your first 3 months. Offer ends 8/3/2022.
With Status Boost™, earn 10,000 Medallion Qualification Miles (MQMs) after you spend $25,000 in purchases on your Card in a calendar year, up to two times per year getting you closer to Medallion Status. Earn 3X Miles on Delta purchases and purchases made directly with hotels, 2X Miles at restaurants and at U.S. supermarkets and earn 1X Mile on all other eligible purchases. Terms Apply.
- Limited Time Offer: Earn 90,000 bonus miles after you spend $3,000 in purchases on your new Card in your first 3 months. Offer ends 8/3/2022.
- Earn up to 20,000 Medallion® Qualification Miles (MQMs) with Status Boost® per year. After you spend $25,000 in purchases on your Card in a calendar year, you can earn 10,000 MQMs up to two times per year, getting you closer to Medallion® Status. MQMs are used to determine Medallion® Status and are different than miles you earn toward flights.
- Earn 3X Miles on Delta purchases and purchases made directly with hotels.
- Earn 2X Miles at restaurants worldwide including takeout and delivery in the U.S., and at U.S. supermarkets.
- Earn 1X Miles on all other eligible purchases.
- Receive a Domestic Main Cabin round-trip companion certificate each year upon renewal of your Card. Payment of the government imposed taxes and fees of no more than $80 for roundtrip domestic flights (for itineraries with up to four flight segments) is required. Baggage charges and other restrictions apply. See terms and conditions for details.
- Enjoy your first checked bag free on Delta flights.
- Fee Credit for Global Entry or TSA PreCheck® after you apply through any Authorized Enrollment Provider. If approved for Global Entry, at no additional charge, you will receive access to TSA PreCheck.
- Enjoy an exclusive rate of $39 per person per visit to enter the Delta Sky Club® for you and up to two guests when traveling on a Delta flight.
- No Foreign Transaction Fees.
- $250 Annual Fee.
- Terms Apply.
- See Rates & Fees