American Flight Makes Emergency Landing After Severe Weather Causes Damage to Aircraft
This post contains references to products from one or more of our advertisers. We may receive compensation when you click on links to those products. Terms apply to the offers listed on this page. For an explanation of our Advertising Policy, visit this page.
An American Airlines flight was forced to divert to El Paso (ELP) on Sunday after severe weather and turbulence caused damage to the aircraft.
AA Flight 1897 from San Antonio (SAT) to Phoenix (PHX) took off at 6:57pm local time. Mid-flight, hail and severe weather began to damage the Airbus A319 aircraft (registration N806AW) that was operating the route. The pilots decided to divert to El Paso (ELP) and safely landed the plane after just over two hours in the air.
Both the windshield and nose of the plane sustained hail damage.
“On June 3, American Airlines flight 1897, from San Antonio to Phoenix, diverted to El Paso due to damage sustained by weather in flight,” a spokesperson for the airline told TPG. “We commend the great work of our pilots, along with our flight attendants, who safely landed the Airbus A319 at 8:03 p.m. MDT.”
The airline assigned a different aircraft to complete the flight to Phoenix, where it landed at 11:41pm local time.
“The aircraft is currently being evaluated by our maintenance team,” American said. “We never want to disrupt our customers’ travel plans, and we are sorry for the trouble this caused.”
The incident comes amid heightened awareness of aircraft maintenance after an engine explosion cracked a window on Southwest Flight 1380 and nearly sucked a passenger out of the plane in April. That passenger later died from her injuries. In May, a broken windshield forced a Sichuan Airlines flight to make an emergency landing, as the pilot was sucked halfway out of the cockpit.
Fortunately in this case, no injuries were reported among AA1897’s 130 passengers or five crew members.
Welcome to The Points Guy!
Earn 50,000 bonus miles and 5,000 Medallion® Qualification Miles (MQMs) after you spend $2,000 in purchases on your new card in the first three months of card membership. Plus, earn up to $100 back in statement credits for eligible purchases at U.S. restaurants in the first three months of card membership.
With Status Boost™, earn 10,000 Medallion Qualification Miles (MQMs) after you spend $25,000 in purchases on your Card in a calendar year, up to two times per year getting you closer to Medallion Status. Earn 3X Miles on Delta purchases and purchases made directly with hotels, 2X Miles at restaurants and at U.S. supermarkets and earn 1X Mile on all other eligible purchases. Terms Apply.
- Earn 50,000 Bonus Miles and 5,000 Medallion® Qualification Miles (MQMs) after you spend $2,000 in purchases on your new Card in your first 3 months.
- Plus, earn up to $100 back in statement credits for eligible purchases at U.S. restaurants with your card within the first 3 months of membership.
- Earn up to 20,000 Medallion® Qualification Miles (MQMs) with Status Boost® per year. After you spend $25,000 in purchases on your Card in a calendar year, you can earn 10,000 MQMs two times per year, getting you closer to Medallion® Status. MQMs are used to determine Medallion® Status and are different than miles you earn toward flights.
- Earn 3X Miles on Delta purchases and purchases made directly with hotels.
- Earn 2X Miles at restaurants worldwide, including takeout and delivery and at U.S. supermarkets.
- Earn 1X Miles on all other eligible purchases.
- Receive a Domestic Main Cabin round-trip companion certificate each year upon renewal of your Card. *Payment of the government imposed taxes and fees of no more than $75 for roundtrip domestic flights (for itineraries with up to four flight segments) is required. Baggage charges and other restrictions apply. See terms and conditions for details.
- Enjoy your first checked bag free on Delta flights.
- Fee Credit for Global Entry or TSA Pre✓®.
- Enjoy an exclusive rate of $39 per person per visit to enter the Delta Sky Club® for you and up to two guests when traveling on a Delta flight.
- No Foreign Transaction Fees.
- $250 Annual Fee.
- Terms Apply.
- See Rates & Fees