American Flight Makes Emergency Landing After Severe Weather Causes Damage to Aircraft
An American Airlines flight was forced to divert to El Paso (ELP) on Sunday after severe weather and turbulence caused damage to the aircraft.
AA Flight 1897 from San Antonio (SAT) to Phoenix (PHX) took off at 6:57pm local time. Mid-flight, hail and severe weather began to damage the Airbus A319 aircraft (registration N806AW) that was operating the route. The pilots decided to divert to El Paso (ELP) and safely landed the plane after just over two hours in the air.
Both the windshield and nose of the plane sustained hail damage.
“On June 3, American Airlines flight 1897, from San Antonio to Phoenix, diverted to El Paso due to damage sustained by weather in flight,” a spokesperson for the airline told TPG. “We commend the great work of our pilots, along with our flight attendants, who safely landed the Airbus A319 at 8:03 p.m. MDT.”
The airline assigned a different aircraft to complete the flight to Phoenix, where it landed at 11:41pm local time.
“The aircraft is currently being evaluated by our maintenance team,” American said. “We never want to disrupt our customers’ travel plans, and we are sorry for the trouble this caused.”
The incident comes amid heightened awareness of aircraft maintenance after an engine explosion cracked a window on Southwest Flight 1380 and nearly sucked a passenger out of the plane in April. That passenger later died from her injuries. In May, a broken windshield forced a Sichuan Airlines flight to make an emergency landing, as the pilot was sucked halfway out of the cockpit.
Fortunately in this case, no injuries were reported among AA1897’s 130 passengers or five crew members.
Welcome to The Points Guy!
WELCOME OFFER: 80,000 Points
TPG'S BONUS VALUATION*: $1,650
CARD HIGHLIGHTS: 2X points on all travel and dining, points transferrable to over a dozen travel partners
*Bonus value is an estimated value calculated by TPG and not the card issuer. View our latest valuations here.
- Earn 80,000 bonus points after you spend $4,000 on purchases in the first 3 months from account opening. That's $1,000 when you redeem through Chase Ultimate Rewards®. Plus earn up to $50 in statement credits towards grocery store purchases within your first year of account opening.
- Earn 2X points on dining including eligible delivery services, takeout and dining out and travel. Plus, earn 1 point per dollar spent on all other purchases.
- Get 25% more value when you redeem for airfare, hotels, car rentals and cruises through Chase Ultimate Rewards®. For example, 80,000 points are worth $1,000 toward travel.
- With Pay Yourself Back℠, your points are worth 25% more during the current offer when you redeem them for statement credits against existing purchases in select, rotating categories.
- Get unlimited deliveries with a $0 delivery fee and reduced service fees on eligible orders over $12 for a minimum of one year with DashPass, DoorDash's subscription service. Activate by 12/31/21.
- Count on Trip Cancellation/Interruption Insurance, Auto Rental Collision Damage Waiver, Lost Luggage Insurance and more.
- Get up to $60 back on an eligible Peloton Digital or All-Access Membership through 12/31/2021, and get full access to their workout library through the Peloton app, including cardio, running, strength, yoga, and more. Take classes using a phone, tablet, or TV. No fitness equipment is required.