American Airlines offering $50, extra vacation day to vaccinated employees
This post contains references to products from one or more of our advertisers. We may receive compensation when you click on links to those products. Terms apply to the offers listed on this page. For an explanation of our Advertising Policy, visit this page.
Sure, we’re all eager for it to be safe to travel the world again, but few are more invested than the largest global airlines. With the ongoing pandemic and strict border restrictions impacting bookings, airlines have a greater incentive than most to see a return to normal life — and, ideally, an end to the COVID-19 pandemic.
With some states now moving to reopen — despite warnings from public health officials — vaccines may be the nation’s best hope to put the pandemic in the rear-view mirror. They’re effective, and they’re safe, but many travel industry workers need an extra push to get the shot. At American Airlines, that incentive will come in the form of an extra vacation day, along with 50 bucks.
This week, American CEO Doug Parker and President Robert Isom explained in an employee memo that the single-dose Johnson & Johnson vaccine is now available to employees at Chicago O’Hare (ORD), and the airline is working to roll out vaccinations at other airports soon.
Want more airline-specific news? Sign up for TPG’s free new biweekly Aviation newsletter!
The executives also didn’t shy away from highlighting the financial incentive, along with a reminder of what’s at stake:
Don’t miss out on the opportunity to earn an extra vacation day next year and $50 in recognition points. Get vaccinated as soon as possible — to protect yourself and others. More than 500,000 people in the United States have lost their lives to COVID-19, including some of our own colleagues.
American isn’t the only travel industry leader tapping an incentive program to encourage employees to get vaccinated for COVID-19. Marriott is offering four hours of extra pay to anyone who decides to get vaccinated, for example, and United Airlines is even considering mandating the shot.
If you have an opportunity to get vaccinated, you should certainly take it. You can not contract COVID-19 by getting the vaccine, and while you may feel some side effects, they’re mild for most people. According to the CDC, “The side effects from COVID-19 vaccination, such as chills or tiredness, may affect your ability to do daily activities, and they should go away in a few days.” I’d happily trade a day or two of not quite feeling 100% for the ability to return to normal life and to help prevent additional deaths.
Featured photo by Zach Griff/The Points Guy.
Welcome to The Points Guy!
WELCOME OFFER: 80,000 Points
TPG'S BONUS VALUATION*: $1,650
CARD HIGHLIGHTS: 2X points on all travel and dining, points transferrable to over a dozen travel partners
*Bonus value is an estimated value calculated by TPG and not the card issuer. View our latest valuations here.
- Earn 80,000 bonus points after you spend $4,000 on purchases in the first 3 months from account opening. That's $1,000 when you redeem through Chase Ultimate Rewards®. Plus earn up to $50 in statement credits towards grocery store purchases within your first year of account opening.
- Earn 2X points on dining including eligible delivery services, takeout and dining out and travel. Plus, earn 1 point per dollar spent on all other purchases.
- Get 25% more value when you redeem for airfare, hotels, car rentals and cruises through Chase Ultimate Rewards®. For example, 80,000 points are worth $1,000 toward travel.
- With Pay Yourself Back℠, your points are worth 25% more during the current offer when you redeem them for statement credits against existing purchases in select, rotating categories.
- Get unlimited deliveries with a $0 delivery fee and reduced service fees on eligible orders over $12 for a minimum of one year with DashPass, DoorDash's subscription service. Activate by 12/31/21.
- Count on Trip Cancellation/Interruption Insurance, Auto Rental Collision Damage Waiver, Lost Luggage Insurance and more.
- Get up to $60 back on an eligible Peloton Digital or All-Access Membership through 12/31/2021, and get full access to their workout library through the Peloton app, including cardio, running, strength, yoga, and more. Take classes using a phone, tablet, or TV. No fitness equipment is required.