American Airlines’ Sunday System Outage Causes 40-Minute Ground Stop
This post contains references to products from one or more of our advertisers. We may receive compensation when you click on links to those products. Terms apply to the offers listed on this page. For an explanation of our Advertising Policy, visit this page.
Technical glitches have plagued American Airlines in recent months. From a regional carrier’s technical issue costing AA $35 million after canceling nearly 3,000 flights, to the most recent issue on Sunday, when an outage at the airline’s main operating system caused a national ground stop.
Around 2:05pm ET on Sunday, the main operating system and dispatch of American Airlines went down, according to the Federal Aviation Administration. During the period while the system was down, all domestic AA flights were grounded.
According to CNBC, American said that it “experienced a brief connectivity issue” with one of its data centers. At around 2:45pm ET — 40 minutes after the system reportedly went down — the data center was restored and AA operations returned to normal.
As a result of the 40-minute outage, American said that no flights were canceled and only resulted in nine delays across the airline’s system.
According to USA Today, American Airlines wasn’t alone in its system issues on Sunday. One of its regional partners, SkyWest Airlines, also faced a system outage, which delayed some of its flights — and therefore some Delta, United and Alaska flights.
TPG reached out to American for more information on the impact of the system outage on Sunday’s travel but did not immediately hear back.
In June, PSA — and therefore American — faced another system outage, resulting in nearly 3,000 flight cancellations. However, that one and Sunday’s incident are unrelated.
Featured image by Scott Olson/Getty Images.
Welcome to The Points Guy!
WELCOME OFFER: 80,000 Points
TPG'S BONUS VALUATION*: $1,650
CARD HIGHLIGHTS: 2X points on all travel and dining, points transferrable to over a dozen travel partners
*Bonus value is an estimated value calculated by TPG and not the card issuer. View our latest valuations here.
- Earn 80,000 bonus points after you spend $4,000 on purchases in the first 3 months from account opening. That's $1,000 when you redeem through Chase Ultimate Rewards®. Plus earn up to $50 in statement credits towards grocery store purchases within your first year of account opening.
- Earn 2X points on dining including eligible delivery services, takeout and dining out and travel. Plus, earn 1 point per dollar spent on all other purchases.
- Get 25% more value when you redeem for airfare, hotels, car rentals and cruises through Chase Ultimate Rewards®. For example, 80,000 points are worth $1,000 toward travel.
- With Pay Yourself Back℠, your points are worth 25% more during the current offer when you redeem them for statement credits against existing purchases in select, rotating categories.
- Get unlimited deliveries with a $0 delivery fee and reduced service fees on eligible orders over $12 for a minimum of one year with DashPass, DoorDash's subscription service. Activate by 12/31/21.
- Count on Trip Cancellation/Interruption Insurance, Auto Rental Collision Damage Waiver, Lost Luggage Insurance and more.
- Get up to $60 back on an eligible Peloton Digital or All-Access Membership through 12/31/2021, and get full access to their workout library through the Peloton app, including cardio, running, strength, yoga, and more. Take classes using a phone, tablet, or TV. No fitness equipment is required.