This post contains references to products from one or more of our advertisers. We may receive compensation when you click on links to those products. For an explanation of our Advertising Policy, visit this page.
The American Airlines AAdvantage program has a new look — at least on its website.
On Thursday morning, American Airlines AAdvantage members noticed a new look when logging in to their account. Now, members can see their account information in three separate tabs: Account Summary, Promotions and Wallet. Upon logging in, you’ll see a ton of information on first glance: status, award miles, 500-mile upgrade and systemwide upgrades (if applicable) and progress to elite status.
According to AA’s site, all AAdvantage members should see the changes online as of Thursday. Beginning in mid-July, members should see the changes in the AA app.
In addition to the account information displayed in a more simple, clean way, the Promotions tab is a new feature. In all AAdvantage members’ accounts, there is at least one promotion to start with. With it, you can earn up to 5,000 bonus AAdvantage miles for completing specific tasks. For the promotion, which it’s calling “AAdvantage 5K Challenge for 5K Miles,” you must register and complete the challenges by September 30, 2018. The qualifying activities can be completed in any order and include:
- Make any purchase with AAdvantage eShopping
- Dine-in or carry out with AAdvantage Dining
- Book and stay at a hotel at bookaahotels.com
- Rent and drive a car at aa.com/cars
- Fly on an American Airlines marketed and operated flight
With the promotion, the more activities you complete, the more miles you’ll get. The mileage earning breakdown is as follows:
- 1 activity = 50 bonus miles
- 2 activities = 250 bonus miles
- 3 activities = 1,000 bonus miles
- 4 activities = 2,500 bonus miles
- 5 activities = 5,000 bonus miles
Based on TPG‘s most recent valuations, the maximum 5,000 bonus miles are worth $70. The terms state that if you are interested in attempting to get 5,000 bonus miles with AA, activity before registering for the promotion doesn’t qualify.
American says that the promotions that it’ll offer to customers will vary. For example, some AA Executive Platinums are seeing another promotion. If EPs earn more than 300,000 Elite Qualifying Miles (EQMs), you’ll be able to choose one of three rewards: gift Platinum status to a friend, two additional systemwide upgrades or 40,000 bonus miles.
While the new interface might take some getting used to for AA flyers, the fact that the carrier is expanding its loyalty program by enticing members with promotions is a positive sign.
Featured image by Scott Olson/Getty Images.
H/T: One Mile at a Time
The American Express Platinum card has some of the best perks out there: cardholders enjoy the best domestic lounge access (Delta SkyClubs, Centurion Lounges, and Priority Pass), a $200 annual airline fee credit as well as up to $200 in Uber credits, and mid-tier elite status at SPG, Marriott, and Hilton. Combined with the 60,000 point welcome offer -- worth $1,140 based on TPG's valuations -- this card is a no-brainer for frequent travelers. Here are 5 reasons you should consider this card, as well as how you can figure out if the $550 annual fee makes sense for you.
- Earn 60,000 Membership Rewards® points after you use your new Card to make $5,000 in purchases in your first 3 months.
- Enjoy Uber VIP status and free rides in the U.S. up to $15 each month, plus a bonus $20 in December. That can be up to $200 in annual Uber savings.
- 5X Membership Rewards® points on flights booked directly with airlines or with American Express Travel.
- 5X Membership Rewards points on prepaid hotels booked on amextravel.com.
- Enjoy access to the Global Lounge Collection, the only credit card airport lounge access program that includes proprietary lounge locations around the world.
- Receive complimentary benefits with an average total value of $550 with Fine Hotels & Resorts. Learn More.
- $200 Airline Fee Credit, up to $200 per calendar year in baggage fees and more at one qualifying airline.
- Get up to $100 in statement credits annually for purchases at Saks Fifth Avenue on your Platinum Card®. Enrollment required.
- $550 annual fee.
- Terms Apply.
- See Rates & Fees