American Unveils New AAdvantage Interface, Promotions Tab for Bonus Mileage Earning
This post contains references to products from one or more of our advertisers. We may receive compensation when you click on links to those products. Terms apply to the offers listed on this page. For an explanation of our Advertising Policy, visit this page.
The American Airlines AAdvantage program has a new look — at least on its website.
On Thursday morning, American Airlines AAdvantage members noticed a new look when logging in to their account. Now, members can see their account information in three separate tabs: Account Summary, Promotions and Wallet. Upon logging in, you’ll see a ton of information on first glance: status, award miles, 500-mile upgrade and systemwide upgrades (if applicable) and progress to elite status.
According to AA’s site, all AAdvantage members should see the changes online as of Thursday. Beginning in mid-July, members should see the changes in the AA app.
In addition to the account information displayed in a more simple, clean way, the Promotions tab is a new feature. In all AAdvantage members’ accounts, there is at least one promotion to start with. With it, you can earn up to 5,000 bonus AAdvantage miles for completing specific tasks. For the promotion, which it’s calling “AAdvantage 5K Challenge for 5K Miles,” you must register and complete the challenges by September 30, 2018. The qualifying activities can be completed in any order and include:
- Make any purchase with AAdvantage eShopping
- Dine-in or carry out with AAdvantage Dining
- Book and stay at a hotel at bookaahotels.com
- Rent and drive a car at aa.com/cars
- Fly on an American Airlines marketed and operated flight
With the promotion, the more activities you complete, the more miles you’ll get. The mileage earning breakdown is as follows:
- 1 activity = 50 bonus miles
- 2 activities = 250 bonus miles
- 3 activities = 1,000 bonus miles
- 4 activities = 2,500 bonus miles
- 5 activities = 5,000 bonus miles
Based on TPG‘s most recent valuations, the maximum 5,000 bonus miles are worth $70. The terms state that if you are interested in attempting to get 5,000 bonus miles with AA, activity before registering for the promotion doesn’t qualify.
American says that the promotions that it’ll offer to customers will vary. For example, some AA Executive Platinums are seeing another promotion. If EPs earn more than 300,000 Elite Qualifying Miles (EQMs), you’ll be able to choose one of three rewards: gift Platinum status to a friend, two additional systemwide upgrades or 40,000 bonus miles.
While the new interface might take some getting used to for AA flyers, the fact that the carrier is expanding its loyalty program by enticing members with promotions is a positive sign.
Featured image by Scott Olson/Getty Images.
H/T: One Mile at a Time
Welcome to The Points Guy!
Earn 90,000 bonus miles after you spend $3,000 in purchases within the first three months of card membership. Plus, earn a $200 statement credit after your first Delta purchase within the first three months. Offer ends 7/28/21.
With Status Boost™, earn 10,000 Medallion Qualification Miles (MQMs) after you spend $25,000 in purchases on your Card in a calendar year, up to two times per year getting you closer to Medallion Status. Earn 3X Miles on Delta purchases and purchases made directly with hotels, 2X Miles at restaurants and at U.S. supermarkets and earn 1X Mile on all other eligible purchases. Terms Apply.
- Limited Time Offer: Earn 90,000 Bonus Miles after spending $3,000 in purchases on your new Card in your first 3 months and a $200 statement credit after you make a Delta purchase with your new Card within your first 3 months. Offer expires 7/28/2021.
- Limited Time Offer: Plus, get a 0% intro APR on purchases for 12 months from the date of account opening, then a variable 15.74%-24.74%. Offer expires 7/28/2021.
- Accelerate your path to Medallion Status, with Status Boost®. Plus, in 2021 you can earn even more bonus Medallion® Qualification Miles (MQMs) to help you reach Medallion Status.
- Earn 3X Miles on Delta purchases and purchases made directly with hotels.
- Earn 2X Miles at restaurants worldwide, including takeout and delivery and at U.S. supermarkets.
- Receive a Domestic Main Cabin round-trip companion certificate each year upon renewal of your Card. *Payment of the government imposed taxes and fees of no more than $75 for roundtrip domestic flights (for itineraries with up to four flight segments) is required. Baggage charges and other restrictions apply. See terms and conditions for details.
- Enjoy your first checked bag free on Delta flights.
- Fee Credit for Global Entry or TSA Pre✓®.
- Enjoy an exclusive rate of $39 per person per visit to enter the Delta Sky Club® for you and up to two guests when traveling on a Delta flight.
- No Foreign Transaction Fees.
- $250 Annual Fee.
- Terms Apply.
- See Rates & Fees