American Unveils New AAdvantage Interface, Promotions Tab for Bonus Mileage Earning
This post contains references to products from one or more of our advertisers. We may receive compensation when you click on links to those products. Terms apply to the offers listed on this page. For an explanation of our Advertising Policy, visit this page.
The American Airlines AAdvantage program has a new look — at least on its website.
On Thursday morning, American Airlines AAdvantage members noticed a new look when logging in to their account. Now, members can see their account information in three separate tabs: Account Summary, Promotions and Wallet. Upon logging in, you’ll see a ton of information on first glance: status, award miles, 500-mile upgrade and systemwide upgrades (if applicable) and progress to elite status.
According to AA’s site, all AAdvantage members should see the changes online as of Thursday. Beginning in mid-July, members should see the changes in the AA app.
In addition to the account information displayed in a more simple, clean way, the Promotions tab is a new feature. In all AAdvantage members’ accounts, there is at least one promotion to start with. With it, you can earn up to 5,000 bonus AAdvantage miles for completing specific tasks. For the promotion, which it’s calling “AAdvantage 5K Challenge for 5K Miles,” you must register and complete the challenges by September 30, 2018. The qualifying activities can be completed in any order and include:
- Make any purchase with AAdvantage eShopping
- Dine-in or carry out with AAdvantage Dining
- Book and stay at a hotel at bookaahotels.com
- Rent and drive a car at aa.com/cars
- Fly on an American Airlines marketed and operated flight
With the promotion, the more activities you complete, the more miles you’ll get. The mileage earning breakdown is as follows:
- 1 activity = 50 bonus miles
- 2 activities = 250 bonus miles
- 3 activities = 1,000 bonus miles
- 4 activities = 2,500 bonus miles
- 5 activities = 5,000 bonus miles
Based on TPG‘s most recent valuations, the maximum 5,000 bonus miles are worth $70. The terms state that if you are interested in attempting to get 5,000 bonus miles with AA, activity before registering for the promotion doesn’t qualify.
American says that the promotions that it’ll offer to customers will vary. For example, some AA Executive Platinums are seeing another promotion. If EPs earn more than 300,000 Elite Qualifying Miles (EQMs), you’ll be able to choose one of three rewards: gift Platinum status to a friend, two additional systemwide upgrades or 40,000 bonus miles.
While the new interface might take some getting used to for AA flyers, the fact that the carrier is expanding its loyalty program by enticing members with promotions is a positive sign.
Featured image by Scott Olson/Getty Images.
H/T: One Mile at a Time
Welcome to The Points Guy!
WELCOME OFFER: 80,000 Points
TPG'S BONUS VALUATION*: $1,600
CARD HIGHLIGHTS: 2X points on all travel and dining, points transferrable to over a dozen travel partners
*Bonus value is an estimated value calculated by TPG and not the card issuer. View our latest valuations here.
- Earn 80,000 bonus points after you spend $4,000 on purchases in the first 3 months from account opening. That's $1,000 toward travel when you redeem through Chase Ultimate Rewards®.
- 2X points on travel and dining at restaurants worldwide, eligible delivery services, takeout and dining out & 1 point per dollar spent on all other purchases.
- Get 25% more value when you redeem for airfare, hotels, car rentals and cruises through Chase Ultimate Rewards. For example, 80,000 points are worth $1,000 toward travel.
- Get unlimited deliveries with a $0 delivery fee and reduced service fees on orders over $12 for a minimum of one year on qualifying food purchases with DashPass, DoorDash's subscription service. Activate by 12/31/21.
- Earn 5X points on Lyft rides through March 2022. That’s 3X points in addition to the 2X points you already earn on travel.