American Airlines Is Giving Away 10 Seats on the Final MD-80 Flight to Top Tier Elites
This post contains references to products from one or more of our advertisers. We may receive compensation when you click on links to those products. Terms apply to the offers listed on this page. For an explanation of our Advertising Policy, visit this page.
After 37 years of faithful service, American Airlines is retiring the last of its old McDonnell Douglas MD-80s on September 4. Although there are 17 MD-80 flights scheduled that day, the last flight is where most of the fanfare is planned.
Aptly given flight number 80, the last-ever scheduled American Airlines MD-80 flight will depart Dallas/Fort Worth (DFW) at 9:00am and arrive in Chicago O’Hare (ORD) at 11:35am. This flight has been sold out for months — even before American Airlines announced it as the final flight — as AvGeeks caught the unique flight number and scooped up the tickets before the announcement.
In addition to being sold out, 157 non-revenue passengers have already listed themselves on the standby list as of a few weeks ago:
There’s still a chance of getting on the flight — but only if you’re a top-tier American Airlines Concierge Key member. TPG contributor and Concierge Key member Flight Wonk found that “select Concierge Key members” have the chance to enter a lottery for a seat on the final flight:
To see if you’re targeted for this giveaway, head to the Promotions tab of your American Airlines account and see if the lottery is listed.
The prize includes the flight from Dallas to Chicago and a one-night stay at the Grand Hyatt in DFW the night before the flight, but winners are responsible for their own travel to Dallas and from Chicago.
Even better, there’s isn’t just one seat being given away. The terms and conditions note that there are 10 prizes. There are only 140 seats on an MD-80, so that’s a substantial number of seats to give away to lucky Concierge Key members.
One thing not mentioned anywhere: where the winning Concierge Key members will be flying. There are 16 first class seats on the MD-80. While there’s enough room for all of the winners, there are sure to be many airline executives and media on the flight, so this is one upgrade that the Concierge Key members might not get.
No matter which cabin they fly in, Concierge Key members will be able to enjoy the stunning new Dallas/Fort Worth Flagship Lounge before the flight and the excellent Chicago Flagship Lounge after the flight.
Featured photo by JT Genter/TPG
Welcome to The Points Guy!
WELCOME OFFER: 60,000 Points
TPG'S BONUS VALUATION*: $1,200
CARD HIGHLIGHTS: 2X points on all travel and dining, points transferrable to over a dozen travel partners
*Bonus value is an estimated value calculated by TPG and not the card issuer. View our latest valuations here.
- Earn 60,000 bonus points after you spend $4,000 on purchases in the first 3 months from account opening. That's $750 when you redeem through Chase Ultimate Rewards®. Plus earn up to $50 in statement credits towards grocery store purchases.
- 2X points on dining at restaurants including eligible delivery services, takeout and dining out and travel & 1 point per dollar spent on all other purchases.
- Get 25% more value when you redeem for travel through Chase Ultimate Rewards®. For example, 60,000 points are worth $750 toward travel.
- With Pay Yourself Back℠, your points are worth 25% more during the current offer when you redeem them for statement credits against existing purchases in select, rotating categories.
- Get unlimited deliveries with a $0 delivery fee and reduced service fees on eligible orders over $12 for a minimum of one year with DashPass, DoorDash's subscription service. Activate by 12/31/21.
- Earn 2x total points on up to $1,000 in grocery store purchases per month from November 1, 2020 to April 30, 2021. Includes eligible pick-up and delivery services.