American Airlines Is Giving Away 10 Seats on the Final MD-80 Flight to Top Tier Elites
This post contains references to products from one or more of our advertisers. We may receive compensation when you click on links to those products. Terms apply to the offers listed on this page. For an explanation of our Advertising Policy, visit this page.
After 37 years of faithful service, American Airlines is retiring the last of its old McDonnell Douglas MD-80s on September 4. Although there are 17 MD-80 flights scheduled that day, the last flight is where most of the fanfare is planned.
Aptly given flight number 80, the last-ever scheduled American Airlines MD-80 flight will depart Dallas/Fort Worth (DFW) at 9:00am and arrive in Chicago O’Hare (ORD) at 11:35am. This flight has been sold out for months — even before American Airlines announced it as the final flight — as AvGeeks caught the unique flight number and scooped up the tickets before the announcement.
In addition to being sold out, 157 non-revenue passengers have already listed themselves on the standby list as of a few weeks ago:
There’s still a chance of getting on the flight — but only if you’re a top-tier American Airlines Concierge Key member. TPG contributor and Concierge Key member Flight Wonk found that “select Concierge Key members” have the chance to enter a lottery for a seat on the final flight:
To see if you’re targeted for this giveaway, head to the Promotions tab of your American Airlines account and see if the lottery is listed.
The prize includes the flight from Dallas to Chicago and a one-night stay at the Grand Hyatt in DFW the night before the flight, but winners are responsible for their own travel to Dallas and from Chicago.
Even better, there’s isn’t just one seat being given away. The terms and conditions note that there are 10 prizes. There are only 140 seats on an MD-80, so that’s a substantial number of seats to give away to lucky Concierge Key members.
One thing not mentioned anywhere: where the winning Concierge Key members will be flying. There are 16 first class seats on the MD-80. While there’s enough room for all of the winners, there are sure to be many airline executives and media on the flight, so this is one upgrade that the Concierge Key members might not get.
No matter which cabin they fly in, Concierge Key members will be able to enjoy the stunning new Dallas/Fort Worth Flagship Lounge before the flight and the excellent Chicago Flagship Lounge after the flight.
Featured photo by JT Genter/TPG
Welcome to The Points Guy!
Earn 90,000 bonus miles and 10,000 Medallion® Qualification Miles (MQMs) after you spend $3,000 in purchases on your new card in the first three months of card membership. Offer ends 11/10/2021.
With Status Boost™, earn 10,000 Medallion Qualification Miles (MQMs) after you spend $25,000 in purchases on your Card in a calendar year, up to two times per year getting you closer to Medallion Status. Earn 3X Miles on Delta purchases and purchases made directly with hotels, 2X Miles at restaurants and at U.S. supermarkets and earn 1X Mile on all other eligible purchases. Terms Apply.
- Limited Time Offer: Earn 90,000 Bonus Miles and 10,000 Medallion® Qualification Miles (MQMs) after you spend $3,000 in purchases on your new Card in your first 3 months. Offer expires 11/10/2021.
- Earn up to 20,000 Medallion® Qualification Miles (MQMs) with Status Boost® per year. After you spend $25,000 in purchases on your Card in a calendar year, you can earn 10,000 MQMs two times per year, getting you closer to Medallion® Status. MQMs are used to determine Medallion® Status and are different than miles you earn toward flights.
- Earn 3X Miles on Delta purchases and purchases made directly with hotels.
- Earn 2X Miles at restaurants worldwide, including takeout and delivery and at U.S. supermarkets.
- Earn 1X Miles on all other eligible purchases.
- Receive a Domestic Main Cabin round-trip companion certificate each year upon renewal of your Card. *Payment of the government imposed taxes and fees of no more than $75 for roundtrip domestic flights (for itineraries with up to four flight segments) is required. Baggage charges and other restrictions apply. See terms and conditions for details.
- Enjoy your first checked bag free on Delta flights.
- Fee Credit for Global Entry or TSA Pre✓®.
- Enjoy an exclusive rate of $39 per person per visit to enter the Delta Sky Club® for you and up to two guests when traveling on a Delta flight.
- No Foreign Transaction Fees.
- $250 Annual Fee.
- Terms Apply.
- See Rates & Fees