AA Flight Canceled After Hoax Threat in Miami
This post contains references to products from one or more of our advertisers. We may receive compensation when you click on links to those products. Terms apply to the offers listed on this page. For an explanation of our Advertising Policy, visit this page.
Passengers on an American Airlines flight out of Miami were forced to deplane Wednesday night due to what law enforcement dubbed a “security concern.”
AA flight 257 from MIA to Mexico City (MEX) was canceled after what the airline said ended up being a “non-credible” threat against the flight. Passengers on board the Airbus A319, which was originally scheduled to takeoff at 6:50pm, had to be deplaned while the aircraft was still at the gate due to the threat.
The Miami-Dade Police Department was brought in to inspect the plane, and they eventually deemed the aircraft safe. Officers also cleared the airport’s surrounding gates during the incident.
#MDPD is investigating a security concern related to an @AmericanAir flight. All passengers have been contained and safety protocols have been set in place. Adjacent gates have been cleared. More information to follow as it becomes available. pic.twitter.com/SKGGn4T5VU
— Miami-Dade Police (@MiamiDadePD) October 25, 2018
“It was a non-credible threat that was cleared by law enforcement,” a spokesperson for the airline told TPG in an email, adding that all passengers were provided overnight accommodations and rebooked on flights to Mexico City leaving the following day.
The exact nature of the threat was not released by the airline or law enforcement.
Featured image by SAUL LOEB/AFP/Getty Images.
Welcome to The Points Guy!
Earn 50,000 bonus miles and 5,000 Medallion® Qualification Miles (MQMs) after you spend $2,000 in purchases on your new card in the first three months of card membership. Plus, earn up to $100 back in statement credits for eligible purchases at U.S. restaurants in the first three months of card membership.
With Status Boost™, earn 10,000 Medallion Qualification Miles (MQMs) after you spend $25,000 in purchases on your Card in a calendar year, up to two times per year getting you closer to Medallion Status. Earn 3X Miles on Delta purchases and purchases made directly with hotels, 2X Miles at restaurants and at U.S. supermarkets and earn 1X Mile on all other eligible purchases. Terms Apply.
- Earn 50,000 Bonus Miles and 5,000 Medallion® Qualification Miles (MQMs) after you spend $2,000 in purchases on your new Card in your first 3 months.
- Plus, earn up to $100 back in statement credits for eligible purchases at U.S. restaurants with your card within the first 3 months of membership.
- Earn up to 20,000 Medallion® Qualification Miles (MQMs) with Status Boost® per year. After you spend $25,000 in purchases on your Card in a calendar year, you can earn 10,000 MQMs two times per year, getting you closer to Medallion® Status. MQMs are used to determine Medallion® Status and are different than miles you earn toward flights.
- Earn 3X Miles on Delta purchases and purchases made directly with hotels.
- Earn 2X Miles at restaurants worldwide, including takeout and delivery and at U.S. supermarkets.
- Earn 1X Miles on all other eligible purchases.
- Receive a Domestic Main Cabin round-trip companion certificate each year upon renewal of your Card. *Payment of the government imposed taxes and fees of no more than $75 for roundtrip domestic flights (for itineraries with up to four flight segments) is required. Baggage charges and other restrictions apply. See terms and conditions for details.
- Enjoy your first checked bag free on Delta flights.
- Fee Credit for Global Entry or TSA Pre✓®.
- Enjoy an exclusive rate of $39 per person per visit to enter the Delta Sky Club® for you and up to two guests when traveling on a Delta flight.
- No Foreign Transaction Fees.
- $250 Annual Fee.
- Terms Apply.
- See Rates & Fees