AA Flight Canceled After Hoax Threat in Miami
This post contains references to products from one or more of our advertisers. We may receive compensation when you click on links to those products. Terms apply to the offers listed on this page. For an explanation of our Advertising Policy, visit this page.
Passengers on an American Airlines flight out of Miami were forced to deplane Wednesday night due to what law enforcement dubbed a “security concern.”
AA flight 257 from MIA to Mexico City (MEX) was canceled after what the airline said ended up being a “non-credible” threat against the flight. Passengers on board the Airbus A319, which was originally scheduled to takeoff at 6:50pm, had to be deplaned while the aircraft was still at the gate due to the threat.
The Miami-Dade Police Department was brought in to inspect the plane, and they eventually deemed the aircraft safe. Officers also cleared the airport’s surrounding gates during the incident.
#MDPD is investigating a security concern related to an @AmericanAir flight. All passengers have been contained and safety protocols have been set in place. Adjacent gates have been cleared. More information to follow as it becomes available. pic.twitter.com/SKGGn4T5VU
— Miami-Dade Police (@MiamiDadePD) October 25, 2018
“It was a non-credible threat that was cleared by law enforcement,” a spokesperson for the airline told TPG in an email, adding that all passengers were provided overnight accommodations and rebooked on flights to Mexico City leaving the following day.
The exact nature of the threat was not released by the airline or law enforcement.
Featured image by SAUL LOEB/AFP/Getty Images.
Welcome to The Points Guy!
WELCOME OFFER: 80,000 Points
TPG'S BONUS VALUATION*: $1,600
CARD HIGHLIGHTS: 3X points on dining and 2x points on travel, points transferrable to over a dozen travel partners
*Bonus value is an estimated value calculated by TPG and not the card issuer. View our latest valuations here.
- Earn 80,000 bonus points after you spend $4,000 on purchases in the first 3 months from account opening. That's $1,000 when you redeem through Chase Ultimate Rewards®.
- Enjoy benefits such as a $50 annual Ultimate Rewards Hotel Credit, 5x on travel purchased through Chase Ultimate Rewards®, 3x on dining and 2x on all other travel purchases, plus more.
- Get 25% more value when you redeem for airfare, hotels, car rentals and cruises through Chase Ultimate Rewards®. For example, 80,000 points are worth $1,000 toward travel.
- With Pay Yourself Back℠, your points are worth 25% more during the current offer when you redeem them for statement credits against existing purchases in select, rotating categories
- Count on Trip Cancellation/Interruption Insurance, Auto Rental Collision Damage Waiver, Lost Luggage Insurance and more.