A Drunk Passenger Doing Pull-Ups Forced an American Flight to Divert
This post contains references to products from one or more of our advertisers. We may receive compensation when you click on links to those products. Terms apply to the offers listed on this page. For an explanation of our Advertising Policy, visit this page.
An American Airlines flight was diverted to Kansas City International Airport on Monday because of an unruly passenger — but this wasn’t the usual unruly-passenger incident. Flight AA2763 departed Phoenix for Boston around 3:45pm local time, according to flight-tracking website FlightRadar24. However, an unruly passenger — who appeared intoxicated — forced the flight to divert to Kansas City (MCI), where it landed around 7:45pm local.
According to passenger David Markoski, the man stumbled on board the plane with a woman and two dogs and appeared to be intoxicated. And then he started doing something you don’t usually see on airplanes.
“He was leaning up against where you put the bags overhead and a passenger came by and said ‘What are you going to do, some pull ups?’ and the guy actually grabbed on to it and started doing some pull ups on the plane in front of everybody,” Markoski told CBS Boston.
In the air, the man reportedly ordered beer and alcohol, which is when things turned tense. Markoski said that the flight attendants asked him about three or four times to sit down, to which he refused. The unidentified passenger then reportedly got verbally abusive, calling the flight attendant names. The captain decided to divert to have the man removed.
Upon landing in Kansas City, law enforcement boarded the Boeing 787-800 — registration N975AN — and took the man off the plane. The FBI in Kansas City told CBS Boston that no arrests had been made and no charges had been filed.
Once the man was removed from the flight, AA2763 and its 147 passengers and six crew departed from Kansas City and landed in Boston 90 minutes later than originally scheduled.
Featured image by Scott Olson/Getty Images.
Welcome to The Points Guy!
WELCOME OFFER: 80,000 Points
TPG'S BONUS VALUATION*: $1,650
CARD HIGHLIGHTS: 2X points on all travel and dining, points transferrable to over a dozen travel partners
*Bonus value is an estimated value calculated by TPG and not the card issuer. View our latest valuations here.
- Earn 80,000 bonus points after you spend $4,000 on purchases in the first 3 months from account opening. That's $1,000 when you redeem through Chase Ultimate Rewards®. Plus earn up to $50 in statement credits towards grocery store purchases within your first year of account opening.
- Earn 2X points on dining including eligible delivery services, takeout and dining out and travel. Plus, earn 1 point per dollar spent on all other purchases.
- Get 25% more value when you redeem for airfare, hotels, car rentals and cruises through Chase Ultimate Rewards®. For example, 80,000 points are worth $1,000 toward travel.
- With Pay Yourself Back℠, your points are worth 25% more during the current offer when you redeem them for statement credits against existing purchases in select, rotating categories.
- Get unlimited deliveries with a $0 delivery fee and reduced service fees on eligible orders over $12 for a minimum of one year with DashPass, DoorDash's subscription service. Activate by 12/31/21.
- Count on Trip Cancellation/Interruption Insurance, Auto Rental Collision Damage Waiver, Lost Luggage Insurance and more.
- Get up to $60 back on an eligible Peloton Digital or All-Access Membership through 12/31/2021, and get full access to their workout library through the Peloton app, including cardio, running, strength, yoga, and more. Take classes using a phone, tablet, or TV. No fitness equipment is required.