AA Flight Attendant Sues After Coworker Attacks Her Inflight
This post contains references to products from one or more of our advertisers. We may receive compensation when you click on links to those products. Terms apply to the offers listed on this page. For an explanation of our Advertising Policy, visit this page.
American Airlines flight attendant Kathy Ida Wolfe is suing the carrier for negligence and a hostile work environment, claiming that the airline did nothing after Wolfe was allegedly “dragged down the aisle by her scarf” during an on-the-job attack from a fellow crew member.
Wolfe filed her lawsuit Friday in federal court, referencing a July 2016 altercation with fellow flight attendant Laura Powers. Wolfe said Powers “maliciously dug her fingernails into my arm, and slammed the door of a beverage cart on my arm.” Wolfe said Powers also “grabbed my scarf, choking me, and dragged me in the aisle and in front of the passengers.” Wolfe later reported the incident to legal authorities after AA took no action, even though Wolfe said she followed appropriate procedures by immediately reporting the incident to the flight’s captain, other crew members and the flight services manager.
Wolfe’s lawsuit alleges that American Airlines created a dangerous work environment as a result of its negligence to investigate the incident, thereby breaching Wolfe’s employment contract. She seeks $1 million in damages.
American Airlines declined to comment directly regarding the lawsuit or the incident, simply saying, “American strives to create a work environment in which all team members feel safe and respected.” However, legal counsel for both American Airlines as well as for Powers previously responded to an earlier iteration of the lawsuit which initially was filed in a local court, arguing that neither defendant party instigated the incident, saying they are “not liable because Plaintiff caused or contributed to cause the harm for which recovery of damages is sought.”
Featured photo courtesy of American Airlines.
Welcome to The Points Guy!
Earn 90,000 bonus miles and 10,000 Medallion® Qualification Miles (MQMs) after you spend $3,000 in purchases on your new card in the first three months of card membership. Offer ends 11/10/2021.
With Status Boost™, earn 10,000 Medallion Qualification Miles (MQMs) after you spend $25,000 in purchases on your Card in a calendar year, up to two times per year getting you closer to Medallion Status. Earn 3X Miles on Delta purchases and purchases made directly with hotels, 2X Miles at restaurants and at U.S. supermarkets and earn 1X Mile on all other eligible purchases. Terms Apply.
- Limited Time Offer: Earn 90,000 Bonus Miles and 10,000 Medallion® Qualification Miles (MQMs) after you spend $3,000 in purchases on your new Card in your first 3 months. Offer expires 11/10/2021.
- Earn up to 20,000 Medallion® Qualification Miles (MQMs) with Status Boost® per year. After you spend $25,000 in purchases on your Card in a calendar year, you can earn 10,000 MQMs two times per year, getting you closer to Medallion® Status. MQMs are used to determine Medallion® Status and are different than miles you earn toward flights.
- Earn 3X Miles on Delta purchases and purchases made directly with hotels.
- Earn 2X Miles at restaurants worldwide, including takeout and delivery and at U.S. supermarkets.
- Earn 1X Miles on all other eligible purchases.
- Receive a Domestic Main Cabin round-trip companion certificate each year upon renewal of your Card. *Payment of the government imposed taxes and fees of no more than $75 for roundtrip domestic flights (for itineraries with up to four flight segments) is required. Baggage charges and other restrictions apply. See terms and conditions for details.
- Enjoy your first checked bag free on Delta flights.
- Fee Credit for Global Entry or TSA Pre✓®.
- Enjoy an exclusive rate of $39 per person per visit to enter the Delta Sky Club® for you and up to two guests when traveling on a Delta flight.
- No Foreign Transaction Fees.
- $250 Annual Fee.
- Terms Apply.
- See Rates & Fees