This post contains references to products from one or more of our advertisers. We may receive compensation when you click on links to those products. For an explanation of our Advertising Policy, visit this page.
American Airlines has slowly but surely been making it easier to use your AAdvantage miles. Recently, the airline added the ability to search and book Malaysia Airlines and Fiji Airways award flights on its website — rather than requiring members to search on a partner website and book by calling an AAgent.
Now, American Airlines is rolling out the ability to allow AAdvantage members to book award flights directly through the American Airlines mobile app. Unfortunately, this will be a gradual process beginning on Thursday. According to an American Airlines spokesperson, the new feature will be “available to all users by the end of next week” — presumably meaning by Oct. 26. If you’re excited about this new feature, you’ll want to upgrade your American Airlines app as soon as you see an option to do so.
Thankfully, this new feature isn’t just limited to American Airlines award flights; you’ll have the ability to book award flights for all of the partner airlines that are currently searchable and bookable on American Airlines’ website. Currently, this includes the following partners:
- Alaska Airways
- British Airways
- Fiji Airways
- Hawaiian Airlines
- Malaysia Airlines
- Qantas Airways
- Royal Jordanian Airlines
Being able to book AA award flights on the app isn’t a game changer. After all, members could already book award flights through a web browser on their phone. However, it’s nice to see American Airlines make the process a bit simpler and mobile-friendly through this new app feature.
That said, we can be assured by this new development that American Airlines is indeed working to make booking awards with AAdvantage miles even easier. Hopefully soon we will see the ability to book even more partners on AA.com. Perhaps the sudden appearance — and just as sudden disappearance — of Cathay Pacific, LATAM, Qatar Airways and Sri Lankan awards on AA’s website was foreshadowing the next partners to be added to online booking.
Featured image via Jose Luis Pelaez Inc / Getty Images.
If you're a frequent American flyer but don't have status, additional perks that come with this card like first free checked bag on domestic AA itineraries, preferred boarding on American flights can be extremely valuable.
- Earn up to 50,000 American Airlines AAdvantage® bonus miles: 40,000 AAdvantage® miles after making $2,000 in purchases in first 3 months and 10,000 after making a total of $6,000 in purchases in first 12 months of account opening*
- Earn 2 AAdvantage® miles for every $1 spent at gas stations*
- Earn 2 AAdvantage® miles for every $1 spent at restaurants*
- Earn 2 AAdvantage® miles for every $1 spent on eligible American Airlines purchases*
- Earn a $100 American Airlines Flight Discount after you spend $20,000 or more in purchases during your cardmembership year and renew your card*
- No Foreign Transaction Fees*
- First checked bag is free on domestic American Airlines itineraries for you and up to four companions traveling with you on the same reservation*
- Enjoy preferred boarding on American Airlines flights*
- Receive 25% savings on inflight food and beverage purchases when you use your card on American Airlines flights*