American Expands in Latin America With New Flights From US Hubs
This post contains references to products from one or more of our advertisers. We may receive compensation when you click on links to those products. Terms apply to the offers listed on this page. For an explanation of our Advertising Policy, visit this page.
American Airlines shared expansion details of its Latin American route map on Tuesday. The world’s largest carrier will be adding nonstop flights between its hubs in Dallas-Fort Worth (DFW), Los Angeles (LAX) and Miami (MIA) to destinations in Mexico and South America. The new additions further cement American’s place as the dominant US carrier in Latin America.
Here are the details of the new routes:
Dallas-Fort Worth (DFW) — Oaxaca, Mexico (OAX)
- Flights between DFW and OAX will begin on December 19, 2018, and tickets go on sale April 2, 2018. The route will be operated daily with an Embraer E175.
Miami (MIA) — Georgetown, Guyana (GEO)
- Flights between MIA and GEO will begin December 20, 2018, and tickets go on sale April 2, 2018. The route will be operated four times weekly with an Airbus A319.
Miami (MIA) —Pereira, Colombia (PEI)
- Flights between MIA and PEI will begin December 20, 2018, and tickets go on sale April 17, 2018. The route will be operated three times weekly with an Airbus A319.
Miami (MIA) — Cordoba, Argentina (COR)
- Flights between MIA and COR will begin April 2, 2019, and tickets go on sale May 7, 2018. The route will be operated four times weekly with a Boeing 767-300.
Los Angeles (LAX) — Buenos Aires, Argentina (EZE)
- Flights between LAX and EZE will begin December 19, 2018, and tickets go on sale April 2, 2018. The route will be operated three times weekly with a Boeing 787-9.
We’re certainly excited to see American add these routes between the US and Latin America, though we’re particularly interested in the new routes to Argentina. Cordoba is a new dot on AA’s route map, and it mirrors a recent trend of carriers adding service to Argentina as the country emerges from economic malaise. While AA already flies to EZE from DFW, MIA and New York (JFK), the flight to LAX is its first nonstop connection from the Argentine capital to the West Coast of the US. Plus, the flights will be operated by AA’s 789, which features one of the carrier’s best business-class products.
These new additions follow an earlier announcement from AA of new daily service between its Philadelphia (PHL) hub and Mexico City (MEX), which is set to begin on July 5, 2018. As noted above, we know how frequently the flights will operate, but we don’t yet have any information on pricing or exact schedules. However, that information should be available very soon, given that the first tickets for these new routes go on sale just a few days from now.
Featured image by luoman / Getty Images.
Welcome to The Points Guy!
WELCOME OFFER: 60,000 Points
TPG'S BONUS VALUATION*: $1,200
CARD HIGHLIGHTS: 2X points on all travel and dining, points transferrable to over a dozen travel partners
*Bonus value is an estimated value calculated by TPG and not the card issuer. View our latest valuations here.
- Earn 60,000 bonus points after you spend $4,000 on purchases in the first 3 months from account opening. That's $750 when you redeem through Chase Ultimate Rewards®. Plus earn up to $50 in statement credits towards grocery store purchases.
- 2X points on dining at restaurants including eligible delivery services, takeout and dining out and travel & 1 point per dollar spent on all other purchases.
- Get 25% more value when you redeem for travel through Chase Ultimate Rewards®. For example, 60,000 points are worth $750 toward travel.
- With Pay Yourself Back℠, your points are worth 25% more during the current offer when you redeem them for statement credits against existing purchases in select, rotating categories.
- Get unlimited deliveries with a $0 delivery fee and reduced service fees on eligible orders over $12 for a minimum of one year with DashPass, DoorDash's subscription service. Activate by 12/31/21.
- Earn 2x total points on up to $1,000 in grocery store purchases per month from November 1, 2020 to April 30, 2021. Includes eligible pick-up and delivery services.