This post contains references to products from one or more of our advertisers. We may receive compensation when you click on links to those products. For an explanation of our Advertising Policy, visit this page.
Never let go, Jack: A replica of the Titanic is going to make its maiden voyage in 2022.
The Titanic II will set sail from Dubai on a two-week maiden voyage and will ultimately make regular trips between Southhampton and New York during the summer and world cruises during the rest of the year.
The $500 million project was initially announced in 2012 by Blue Star Line — not to be confused with the original ship’s shipping company, White Star Line. The original plan was to launch the ship from China in 2016 and cruise from Dubai in 2018, but was suspended due to financial restraints. Ironically enough, this timing delay means the ship is now on track to set sail exactly 110 years after the original RMS Titanic did.
According to Australian billionaire Clive Palmer, Chairman of Blue Star Line, they are planning on creating “an authentic Titanic experience, providing passengers with a ship that has the same interiors and cabin layout as the original vessel, while integrating modern safety procedures, navigation methods and 21st century technology to produce the highest level of luxurious comfort.” It will also be diesel-powered rather than coal-fired, but you can still keep an eye out for those four iconic smoke stacks.
Passengers will also be able to eat from the same menu while sitting in dining rooms that look eerily like the original ship’s. Other amenities include a pool, gyms, and even a Turkish bath. There will be nine decks that will accommodate 2,400 passengers and 900 crew members — and yes, there will be first, second and third class.
Now I don’t know about you, but I intend to write a strongly worded letter to the White Star Line about all of this.
Featured image courtesy of Blue Star Line.
Know before you go.
News and deals straight to your inbox every day.
Earn unlimited 10x miles on hotel stays booked and paid through hotels.com/venture. Pair that with the Hotels.com Rewards program and you'll essentially be getting 20% off of hotel bookings! With the 50,000 mile sign-up bonus you can get up to $700 in value based on TPG's most recent valuations and you'll have the flexibility to transfer those miles to participating airline partners or redeem those miles on any purchase for airfare, hotel stays, car rentals and more.
- Enjoy a one-time bonus of 50,000 miles once you spend $3,000 on purchases within 3 months from account opening, equal to $500 in travel
- Earn 2X miles on every purchase, every day. Plus earn 10X miles on thousands of hotels, through January 2020; learn more at hotels.com/venture
- Named ‘The Best Travel Card' by CNBC, 2018
- Receive up to $100 application fee credit for Global Entry or TSA Pre✓®
- Fly any airline, stay at any hotel, anytime; no blackout dates. Plus transfer your miles to over 12 leading travel loyalty programs
- Miles won't expire for the life of the account and there's no limit to how many you can earn
- No foreign transaction fees
- $0 intro annual fee for the first year; $95 after that