A Frisky Dolphin Caused a Swimming Ban in France
This post contains references to products from one or more of our advertisers. We may receive compensation when you click on links to those products. Terms apply to the offers listed on this page. For an explanation of our Advertising Policy, visit this page.
The coastal village of Landévennec in Finistère, in Brittany, France’s most northwestern region, has a new ban: Stay away from the frisky dolphin.
A sexually aroused dolphin on a Brittany beach has become increasingly aggressive toward swimmers during his mating season, and the local mayor issued a swimming ban on Aug. 20. Swimmers will be fined 39 euros, or roughly $45, if they swim closer than 131 feet to the dolphin.
The dolphin, nicknamed Zafar, has been rubbing against people and boats, and the BBC reported that the ban followed after the 10-foot bottlenose dolphin tossed a female bather into the air with his nose.
“I issued this ban to protect people’s security,” Mayor Rodger Lars told BBC.
Samy Hassani, director of the care and conservation center at Océanopolis marine theme park in Brest explained to the French news outlet, Ouest France, that because dolphins normally travel in packs, the lonely marine mammal is seeking contact by rubbing his nose against swimmers and boats.
Officials at the Department of Finistère support the mayor’s decision.
“The prefect of Finistère supports the decision of common sense made by the mayor of Landévennec prohibiting swimming in the presence of the animal, which contributes to the safety of everyone, including swimmers the most experienced,” the department said in a tweet.
According to CNN, Zafar has since moved down the coast and locals can swim safely.
Welcome to The Points Guy!
Earn 90,000 bonus miles and 10,000 Medallion® Qualification Miles (MQMs) after you spend $3,000 in purchases on your new card in the first three months of card membership. Offer ends 11/10/2021.
With Status Boost™, earn 10,000 Medallion Qualification Miles (MQMs) after you spend $25,000 in purchases on your Card in a calendar year, up to two times per year getting you closer to Medallion Status. Earn 3X Miles on Delta purchases and purchases made directly with hotels, 2X Miles at restaurants and at U.S. supermarkets and earn 1X Mile on all other eligible purchases. Terms Apply.
- Limited Time Offer: Earn 90,000 Bonus Miles and 10,000 Medallion® Qualification Miles (MQMs) after you spend $3,000 in purchases on your new Card in your first 3 months. Offer expires 11/10/2021.
- Earn up to 20,000 Medallion® Qualification Miles (MQMs) with Status Boost® per year. After you spend $25,000 in purchases on your Card in a calendar year, you can earn 10,000 MQMs two times per year, getting you closer to Medallion® Status. MQMs are used to determine Medallion® Status and are different than miles you earn toward flights.
- Earn 3X Miles on Delta purchases and purchases made directly with hotels.
- Earn 2X Miles at restaurants worldwide, including takeout and delivery and at U.S. supermarkets.
- Earn 1X Miles on all other eligible purchases.
- Receive a Domestic Main Cabin round-trip companion certificate each year upon renewal of your Card. *Payment of the government imposed taxes and fees of no more than $75 for roundtrip domestic flights (for itineraries with up to four flight segments) is required. Baggage charges and other restrictions apply. See terms and conditions for details.
- Enjoy your first checked bag free on Delta flights.
- Fee Credit for Global Entry or TSA Pre✓®.
- Enjoy an exclusive rate of $39 per person per visit to enter the Delta Sky Club® for you and up to two guests when traveling on a Delta flight.
- No Foreign Transaction Fees.
- $250 Annual Fee.
- Terms Apply.
- See Rates & Fees