A Frisky Dolphin Caused a Swimming Ban in France
This post contains references to products from one or more of our advertisers. We may receive compensation when you click on links to those products. Terms apply to the offers listed on this page. For an explanation of our Advertising Policy, visit this page.
The coastal village of Landévennec in Finistère, in Brittany, France’s most northwestern region, has a new ban: Stay away from the frisky dolphin.
A sexually aroused dolphin on a Brittany beach has become increasingly aggressive toward swimmers during his mating season, and the local mayor issued a swimming ban on Aug. 20. Swimmers will be fined 39 euros, or roughly $45, if they swim closer than 131 feet to the dolphin.
The dolphin, nicknamed Zafar, has been rubbing against people and boats, and the BBC reported that the ban followed after the 10-foot bottlenose dolphin tossed a female bather into the air with his nose.
“I issued this ban to protect people’s security,” Mayor Rodger Lars told BBC.
Samy Hassani, director of the care and conservation center at Océanopolis marine theme park in Brest explained to the French news outlet, Ouest France, that because dolphins normally travel in packs, the lonely marine mammal is seeking contact by rubbing his nose against swimmers and boats.
Officials at the Department of Finistère support the mayor’s decision.
“The prefect of Finistère supports the decision of common sense made by the mayor of Landévennec prohibiting swimming in the presence of the animal, which contributes to the safety of everyone, including swimmers the most experienced,” the department said in a tweet.
According to CNN, Zafar has since moved down the coast and locals can swim safely.
Welcome to The Points Guy!
WELCOME OFFER: 80,000 Points
TPG'S BONUS VALUATION*: $1,650
CARD HIGHLIGHTS: 2X points on all travel and dining, points transferrable to over a dozen travel partners
*Bonus value is an estimated value calculated by TPG and not the card issuer. View our latest valuations here.
- Earn 80,000 bonus points after you spend $4,000 on purchases in the first 3 months from account opening. That's $1,000 when you redeem through Chase Ultimate Rewards®. Plus earn up to $50 in statement credits towards grocery store purchases within your first year of account opening.
- Earn 2X points on dining including eligible delivery services, takeout and dining out and travel. Plus, earn 1 point per dollar spent on all other purchases.
- Get 25% more value when you redeem for airfare, hotels, car rentals and cruises through Chase Ultimate Rewards®. For example, 80,000 points are worth $1,000 toward travel.
- With Pay Yourself Back℠, your points are worth 25% more during the current offer when you redeem them for statement credits against existing purchases in select, rotating categories.
- Get unlimited deliveries with a $0 delivery fee and reduced service fees on eligible orders over $12 for a minimum of one year with DashPass, DoorDash's subscription service. Activate by 12/31/21.
- Count on Trip Cancellation/Interruption Insurance, Auto Rental Collision Damage Waiver, Lost Luggage Insurance and more.
- Get up to $60 back on an eligible Peloton Digital or All-Access Membership through 12/31/2021, and get full access to their workout library through the Peloton app, including cardio, running, strength, yoga, and more. Take classes using a phone, tablet, or TV. No fitness equipment is required.