A Bankrupt Airline Just Sponsored an Italian Designer’s Wedding
This post contains references to products from one or more of our advertisers. We may receive compensation when you click on links to those products. Terms apply to the offers listed on this page. For an explanation of our Advertising Policy, visit this page.
In between all the barbecues and beaches of this past Labor Day Weekend, it’s easy to disconnect a bit from social media to spend time with your friends and family as summer winds down. But, something caught our attention online — and it wasn’t just Chiara Ferragni‘s wedding, or any of her gorgeous dresses.
But first, a little background: Chiara Ferragni is an Instagram influencer behind The Blonde Salad, a massively popular fashion blog. She was ranked No. 1 on Forbes’ list of the most powerful fashion influencers in 2017, and boasts a whopping 14.6 million Instagram followers — so it’s safe to say she has some serious clout, not just in Italy, but all over the world.
Unsurprisingly, her nuptials this past weekend looked almost as extravagant as the Met Gala. As if the fairy lights and couture gowns weren’t enough, Ailitalia supplied Ferragni and her guests a chartered flight to get them from Milan-Linate (LIN) to Catania–Fontanarossa (CTA) on a presumed A319, Chiara character and all.
A post shared by Chiara Ferragni (@chiaraferragni) on
Although her guests had to rough it in coach, they all had custom water bottles and snacks waiting for them. What’s more, even the boarding passes and headrest covers were branded for the occasion. Cathay Pacific first class this is not, but hey, it’s not every day you’re on a chartered flight to a wedding that gets a write-up in Vogue.
Clearly, the airline spared no expense to make sure Chiara’s guests had a memorable flight to an even more memorable occasion in the hopes of getting some good PR out of it. It’s almost like you’d never know it’s more than $3.3 billion in debt.
Featured image by Edward Berthelot/Getty Images
Welcome to The Points Guy!
Earn 90,000 bonus miles after you spend $3,000 in purchases within the first three months of card membership. Plus, earn a $200 statement credit after your first Delta purchase within the first three months. Offer ends 7/28/21.
With Status Boost™, earn 10,000 Medallion Qualification Miles (MQMs) after you spend $25,000 in purchases on your Card in a calendar year, up to two times per year getting you closer to Medallion Status. Earn 3X Miles on Delta purchases and purchases made directly with hotels, 2X Miles at restaurants and at U.S. supermarkets and earn 1X Mile on all other eligible purchases. Terms Apply.
- Limited Time Offer: Earn 90,000 Bonus Miles after spending $3,000 in purchases on your new Card in your first 3 months and a $200 statement credit after you make a Delta purchase with your new Card within your first 3 months. Offer expires 7/28/2021.
- Limited Time Offer: Plus, get a 0% intro APR on purchases for 12 months from the date of account opening, then a variable 15.74%-24.74%. Offer expires 7/28/2021.
- Accelerate your path to Medallion Status, with Status Boost®. Plus, in 2021 you can earn even more bonus Medallion® Qualification Miles (MQMs) to help you reach Medallion Status.
- Earn 3X Miles on Delta purchases and purchases made directly with hotels.
- Earn 2X Miles at restaurants worldwide, including takeout and delivery and at U.S. supermarkets.
- Receive a Domestic Main Cabin round-trip companion certificate each year upon renewal of your Card. *Payment of the government imposed taxes and fees of no more than $75 for roundtrip domestic flights (for itineraries with up to four flight segments) is required. Baggage charges and other restrictions apply. See terms and conditions for details.
- Enjoy your first checked bag free on Delta flights.
- Fee Credit for Global Entry or TSA Pre✓®.
- Enjoy an exclusive rate of $39 per person per visit to enter the Delta Sky Club® for you and up to two guests when traveling on a Delta flight.
- No Foreign Transaction Fees.
- $250 Annual Fee.
- Terms Apply.
- See Rates & Fees