A Baby Born on the Paris Metro Will Get Free Rides Until Age 25
This post contains references to products from one or more of our advertisers. We may receive compensation when you click on links to those products. Terms apply to the offers listed on this page. For an explanation of our Advertising Policy, visit this page.
Talk about the birthday gift that keeps on giving.
A woman riding the metro in Paris unexpectedly gave birth on the train Monday. Despite the gridlock that arose from the chaos, Paris’ Independent Transport Authority (RATP) rewarded the newborn baby with 25 years of free metro rides.
The woman was traveling on the A line at Auber station when she went into labor. Naturally, the line (@RER_A) live-tweeted the happenings in French.
The train line’s traffic was halted while the woman gave birth and continued to be disrupted after the fact. After the baby was born, the train had paramedics take the mother and baby to the nearest clinic. The train then sent out a warm congratulations to the mother and happily welcomed the baby, assuring that the two were doing well.
The line then announced that the baby would be receiving free transport until age 25, which TPG thinks is a decent deal for just being born, albeit on a train. RATP’s Navigo annual travel pass, which allows for unlimited travel, translates to about $960 USD per year for access to all zones – that’s a $24,000 compensation over the 25 years, assuming it’s used.
Translated from French by Microsoft:
Line A is pleased to announce that the 👶 newly born will benefit from free transport throughout the network #RATP until its 25th birthday.
We assume that the birth was probably not the most glamorous situation, so the form of compensation from the RATP was a nice gesture. For some reason, it doesn’t seem unusual for companies to offer compensation for babies born on their products as opposed to mothers. In 2017, a baby born on Spirit received a free flight for him and a companion every year on his birthday.
Featured image by DeAgostini/Getty Images.
Welcome to The Points Guy!
WELCOME OFFER: 80,000 Points
TPG'S BONUS VALUATION*: $1,650
CARD HIGHLIGHTS: 2X points on all travel and dining, points transferrable to over a dozen travel partners
*Bonus value is an estimated value calculated by TPG and not the card issuer. View our latest valuations here.
- Earn 80,000 bonus points after you spend $4,000 on purchases in the first 3 months from account opening. That's $1,000 when you redeem through Chase Ultimate Rewards®. Plus earn up to $50 in statement credits towards grocery store purchases within your first year of account opening.
- Earn 2X points on dining including eligible delivery services, takeout and dining out and travel. Plus, earn 1 point per dollar spent on all other purchases.
- Get 25% more value when you redeem for airfare, hotels, car rentals and cruises through Chase Ultimate Rewards®. For example, 80,000 points are worth $1,000 toward travel.
- With Pay Yourself Back℠, your points are worth 25% more during the current offer when you redeem them for statement credits against existing purchases in select, rotating categories.
- Get unlimited deliveries with a $0 delivery fee and reduced service fees on eligible orders over $12 for a minimum of one year with DashPass, DoorDash's subscription service. Activate by 12/31/21.
- Count on Trip Cancellation/Interruption Insurance, Auto Rental Collision Damage Waiver, Lost Luggage Insurance and more.
- Get up to $60 back on an eligible Peloton Digital or All-Access Membership through 12/31/2021, and get full access to their workout library through the Peloton app, including cardio, running, strength, yoga, and more. Take classes using a phone, tablet, or TV. No fitness equipment is required.