A Baby Born on the Paris Metro Will Get Free Rides Until Age 25
This post contains references to products from one or more of our advertisers. We may receive compensation when you click on links to those products. Terms apply to the offers listed on this page. For an explanation of our Advertising Policy, visit this page.
Talk about the birthday gift that keeps on giving.
A woman riding the metro in Paris unexpectedly gave birth on the train Monday. Despite the gridlock that arose from the chaos, Paris’ Independent Transport Authority (RATP) rewarded the newborn baby with 25 years of free metro rides.
The woman was traveling on the A line at Auber station when she went into labor. Naturally, the line (@RER_A) live-tweeted the happenings in French.
The train line’s traffic was halted while the woman gave birth and continued to be disrupted after the fact. After the baby was born, the train had paramedics take the mother and baby to the nearest clinic. The train then sent out a warm congratulations to the mother and happily welcomed the baby, assuring that the two were doing well.
The line then announced that the baby would be receiving free transport until age 25, which TPG thinks is a decent deal for just being born, albeit on a train. RATP’s Navigo annual travel pass, which allows for unlimited travel, translates to about $960 USD per year for access to all zones – that’s a $24,000 compensation over the 25 years, assuming it’s used.
Translated from French by Microsoft:
Line A is pleased to announce that the 👶 newly born will benefit from free transport throughout the network #RATP until its 25th birthday.
We assume that the birth was probably not the most glamorous situation, so the form of compensation from the RATP was a nice gesture. For some reason, it doesn’t seem unusual for companies to offer compensation for babies born on their products as opposed to mothers. In 2017, a baby born on Spirit received a free flight for him and a companion every year on his birthday.
Featured image by DeAgostini/Getty Images.
Welcome to The Points Guy!
Earn 90,000 bonus miles after you spend $3,000 in purchases within the first three months of card membership. Plus, earn a $200 statement credit after your first Delta purchase within the first three months. Offer ends 7/28/21.
With Status Boost™, earn 10,000 Medallion Qualification Miles (MQMs) after you spend $25,000 in purchases on your Card in a calendar year, up to two times per year getting you closer to Medallion Status. Earn 3X Miles on Delta purchases and purchases made directly with hotels, 2X Miles at restaurants and at U.S. supermarkets and earn 1X Mile on all other eligible purchases. Terms Apply.
- Limited Time Offer: Earn 90,000 Bonus Miles after spending $3,000 in purchases on your new Card in your first 3 months and a $200 statement credit after you make a Delta purchase with your new Card within your first 3 months. Offer expires 7/28/2021.
- Limited Time Offer: Plus, get a 0% intro APR on purchases for 12 months from the date of account opening, then a variable 15.74%-24.74%. Offer expires 7/28/2021.
- Accelerate your path to Medallion Status, with Status Boost®. Plus, in 2021 you can earn even more bonus Medallion® Qualification Miles (MQMs) to help you reach Medallion Status.
- Earn 3X Miles on Delta purchases and purchases made directly with hotels.
- Earn 2X Miles at restaurants worldwide, including takeout and delivery and at U.S. supermarkets.
- Receive a Domestic Main Cabin round-trip companion certificate each year upon renewal of your Card. *Payment of the government imposed taxes and fees of no more than $75 for roundtrip domestic flights (for itineraries with up to four flight segments) is required. Baggage charges and other restrictions apply. See terms and conditions for details.
- Enjoy your first checked bag free on Delta flights.
- Fee Credit for Global Entry or TSA Pre✓®.
- Enjoy an exclusive rate of $39 per person per visit to enter the Delta Sky Club® for you and up to two guests when traveling on a Delta flight.
- No Foreign Transaction Fees.
- $250 Annual Fee.
- Terms Apply.
- See Rates & Fees