9 Slightly Ridiculous Things Frequent Travelers Collect From Their Trips
This post contains references to products from one or more of our advertisers. We may receive compensation when you click on links to those products. Terms apply to the offers listed on this page. For an explanation of our Advertising Policy, visit this page.
For those who travel the world, life tends to move pretty quickly — which means keeping track of where you’ve been can quickly become a daunting task. What better way to slow it all down and remember those places near and far than by collecting something to remind you of them?
For some, maintaining collections often becomes as compulsive as travel itself. And for those familiar with the frequent flyer community, particularly the points and miles one, it shouldn’t exactly come as a surprise. We are, after all, collectors — of points and of experiences — so it’s only natural to hoard hotel room keys the same way we hoard points (something, by the way, you shouldn’t do!).
Whether you take lots of photos, keep the hotel’s ‘Do Not Disturb’ signs or collect postcards from every city you’ve ever been, collections serve as a great reminder of travels past. So of course, we turned to our TPG Lounge community, to see what our passionate readers take home with them — and the results were pretty interesting.
1. Fridge magnets. Shared by TPG reader Erick, and apparently the wife wants another fridge for more!
2. Hard Rock Cafe Pins from locations around the world. To each their own. Thanks for sharing, Greg!
3. Individually wrapped paper cups. Many hotels offer branded paper cups for coffee available in your room upon check-in, so why not collect them? The best, of course, list the city or town the hotel is located in.
4. Amenity kits. Ah good ol’ amenity kits. For those who often fly up front (and even in some economy cabins), amenity kits — pouches filled with toiletries and cosmetics to make your long-haul more pleasant — are a dime a dozen. Considering each airline’s is different, and nearly all of the major international long haul carriers offer them, one’s collection can grow fast. Plus, they can be repurposed later.
5. Hotel key cards. Road-warrior rack up hundreds of these babies every year, and some of them have collections of thousands.
6. Christmas ornaments. What better way to celebrate Christmas than with an (inter)nationally adorned tree?
7. Sand. Brandon, who submitted this photo, notes where the sand came from with a special pen that can write on glass on the bottom of the bottles.
8. Floaty Pens. These pens are wonderful, and can remind you where you got them even while you write! Thanks for the photo, Debby.
9. “Tons of weight.” The struggle is real, friend. Eating — or more accurately, overeating — is often one of the most dependable hobbies while traveling.
Jokes aside, if there is one thing that we all collect, it’s memories, perhaps the very best of all.
Hopefully, whatever it is that you do collect brings you joy as your points and miles take you around the world.
Welcome to The Points Guy!
Earn 90,000 bonus miles and 10,000 Medallion® Qualification Miles (MQMs) after you spend $3,000 in purchases on your new card in the first three months of card membership. Offer ends 11/10/2021.
With Status Boost™, earn 10,000 Medallion Qualification Miles (MQMs) after you spend $25,000 in purchases on your Card in a calendar year, up to two times per year getting you closer to Medallion Status. Earn 3X Miles on Delta purchases and purchases made directly with hotels, 2X Miles at restaurants and at U.S. supermarkets and earn 1X Mile on all other eligible purchases. Terms Apply.
- Limited Time Offer: Earn 90,000 Bonus Miles and 10,000 Medallion® Qualification Miles (MQMs) after you spend $3,000 in purchases on your new Card in your first 3 months. Offer expires 11/10/2021.
- Earn up to 20,000 Medallion® Qualification Miles (MQMs) with Status Boost® per year. After you spend $25,000 in purchases on your Card in a calendar year, you can earn 10,000 MQMs two times per year, getting you closer to Medallion® Status. MQMs are used to determine Medallion® Status and are different than miles you earn toward flights.
- Earn 3X Miles on Delta purchases and purchases made directly with hotels.
- Earn 2X Miles at restaurants worldwide, including takeout and delivery and at U.S. supermarkets.
- Earn 1X Miles on all other eligible purchases.
- Receive a Domestic Main Cabin round-trip companion certificate each year upon renewal of your Card. *Payment of the government imposed taxes and fees of no more than $75 for roundtrip domestic flights (for itineraries with up to four flight segments) is required. Baggage charges and other restrictions apply. See terms and conditions for details.
- Enjoy your first checked bag free on Delta flights.
- Fee Credit for Global Entry or TSA Pre✓®.
- Enjoy an exclusive rate of $39 per person per visit to enter the Delta Sky Club® for you and up to two guests when traveling on a Delta flight.
- No Foreign Transaction Fees.
- $250 Annual Fee.
- Terms Apply.
- See Rates & Fees