88-year-old has ‘dream’ VA Upper Class flight after passenger gives up seat
This post contains references to products from one or more of our advertisers. We may receive compensation when you click on links to those products. Terms apply to the offers listed on this page. For an explanation of our Advertising Policy, visit this page.
A young man traveling in business class on a flight from New York with his family met an 88-year-old woman traveling in economy. Before the flight took off, however, the two had swapped seats.
Jack and Violet became fast friends at the airport and Jack decided Violet would have a better time in business class, according to the New Zealand Herald.
Leah Amy, who says she’s a Virgin Atlantic flight attendant, documented the encounter between Jack and Violet, who she called her “[favorite] passengers ever.”
For more TPG news and tips delivered each morning to your inbox, sign up for our daily newsletter.
“Jack and his family purchased seats In our Upper Class cabin for a flight home from New York, but when he got onboard, Jack went and found violet in economy and swapped seats with her,” Amy wrote in a Facebook post, which has since been shared over a thousand times.
“He then sat on the row of seats directly next to the economy toilets and never made a peep or asked for anything the rest of the flight,” Amy continued. “No fuss, no attention, literally did it out of the kindness of his own heart, no one asked him too.”
Violet seemed to have an incredible trip, enjoying business-class amenities such as dinner (with real silverware!) and lie-flat seating. It was Violet’s first time in business class, Amy wrote. She traveled to New York to visit her daughter, Amy wrote, but hadn’t been in a while because of a knee replacement.
TPG has reached out to the flight attendant who worked the flight and Virgin Atlantic for comment.
We at TPG hope Violet had a great flight up front. We’re fans of Virgin’s Upper Class product here ourselves. TPG U.K.’s Director of Content Nicky Kelvin flew from London (LHR) to New York (JFK) earlier this year and enjoyed the friendly service, comfortable bed and plentiful redemption options.
Speaking of which, it’s pretty easy to accrue Virgin Miles in Flying Club, especially as it’s a 1:1 transfer partner of all the major transferable points currencies (American Express Membership Rewards, Chase Ultimate Rewards and Citi ThankYou).
For instance, you could apply for The Platinum Card® from American Express, which is currently offering a welcome bonus of 100,000 Membership Rewards® Points after you spend $6,000 on purchases on the Card in your first 6 months of Card Membership. Just by earning the welcome bonus on the card, you could earn enough points for a one-way Upper Class flight between London and New York. Amex earlier this month rolled out a new targeted transfer bonus, allowing cardholders to earn up to 30% in bonus miles when transferring Membership Rewards points to Virgin Atlantic. The card comes with an annual fee of $695 (see rates and fees).
While Flying Club redemptions can be a good deal at times, the best values aren’t always found on the airline’s flights. While the mileage component of Virgin Atlantic awards can be reasonable, the fuel surcharges, combined with the UK’s departure taxes, can diminish the value of some redemptions.
Instead, you may want to explore using use your Flying Club miles on partners like Delta (e.g., Delta One Suites to Europe for 50,000 miles + $5.60 one-way) and ANA (e.g., first class US-Tokyo from 90,000 miles). Just note that Flying Club charges on a per-segment basis, so your best bet is to find nonstop award flights. And if you do find a Delta-operated flight, be sure to compare the Flying Club award rates to those offered directly with Delta SkyMiles, as Delta’s numerous award sales and variable pricing could make transferring your Amex points to Delta a better option.
Featured image courtesy of Nicky Kelvin / The Points Guy
For rates and fees of the Amex Platinum card, click here.
Welcome to The Points Guy!
Earn 90,000 bonus miles after you spend $3,000 in purchases within the first three months of card membership. Plus, earn a $200 statement credit after your first Delta purchase within the first three months. Offer ends 7/28/21.
With Status Boost™, earn 10,000 Medallion Qualification Miles (MQMs) after you spend $25,000 in purchases on your Card in a calendar year, up to two times per year getting you closer to Medallion Status. Earn 3X Miles on Delta purchases and purchases made directly with hotels, 2X Miles at restaurants and at U.S. supermarkets and earn 1X Mile on all other eligible purchases. Terms Apply.
- Limited Time Offer: Earn 90,000 Bonus Miles after spending $3,000 in purchases on your new Card in your first 3 months and a $200 statement credit after you make a Delta purchase with your new Card within your first 3 months. Offer expires 7/28/2021.
- Limited Time Offer: Plus, get a 0% intro APR on purchases for 12 months from the date of account opening, then a variable 15.74%-24.74%. Offer expires 7/28/2021.
- Accelerate your path to Medallion Status, with Status Boost®. Plus, in 2021 you can earn even more bonus Medallion® Qualification Miles (MQMs) to help you reach Medallion Status.
- Earn 3X Miles on Delta purchases and purchases made directly with hotels.
- Earn 2X Miles at restaurants worldwide, including takeout and delivery and at U.S. supermarkets.
- Receive a Domestic Main Cabin round-trip companion certificate each year upon renewal of your Card. *Payment of the government imposed taxes and fees of no more than $75 for roundtrip domestic flights (for itineraries with up to four flight segments) is required. Baggage charges and other restrictions apply. See terms and conditions for details.
- Enjoy your first checked bag free on Delta flights.
- Fee Credit for Global Entry or TSA Pre✓®.
- Enjoy an exclusive rate of $39 per person per visit to enter the Delta Sky Club® for you and up to two guests when traveling on a Delta flight.
- No Foreign Transaction Fees.
- $250 Annual Fee.
- Terms Apply.
- See Rates & Fees