Stay at This ‘80s Inspired Airbnb Dream House
This post contains references to products from one or more of our advertisers. We may receive compensation when you click on links to those products. Terms apply to the offers listed on this page. For an explanation of our Advertising Policy, visit this page.
Take a step back into the big-haired, John-Hughes-colored past with this ‘80s inspired Airbnb in Greenville, Texas. The McFly is a house in Dallas that owners Jeremy and Kelsey Turner have transformed into a retro time-warp.
The home features some of the ‘80s most iconic staples, including a boombox on the mantel, neon signs and a Teenage Mutant Ninja Turtles arcade game. In the morning, guests can sink their spoons into offerings from the McFly’s cereal bar, featuring a bout of childhood favorites. Turner told CentralTrack that his wife, a talented artist, is responsible for the hand-painted, pastel mural in the house that “sets the tone for the whole place.”
Turner accredited his inspiration for the Airbnb to the quintessential childhood rooms that every kid wished they had.
“I had the idea when I was thinking about how kids’ rooms in ‘80s and ‘90s movies always looked so fun and over the top — think Blank Check and Big,” Turner says. “I thought it’d be fun to make a whole house like that on Airbnb. Then my wife and I spent the summer painting, furnishing and collecting pieces from the ‘80s.”
In Turner’s interview with CentralTrack, he said that his friends say the house feels like walking through a cartoon, something he takes as a compliment.
The quirky Airbnb echoes the spirit of the East Dallas suburb, which dubs itself “one big hippie-dippie family” on its website. Bustling with nightlife and hip restaurants, Greenville has recently revamped its once “rough-and-tumble attitude,” making for the perfect escape. It’s just a stone’s throw from some of Dallas’s most popular attractions, including the George W. Bush Presidential Center, Nasher Sculpture Center and the Dallas Symphony Orchestra at Meyerson Symphony Center.
Bookings for this blast-from-the-past start at $82/night. The pastel-colored walls of this 5-star-rated Airbnb can accommodate parties of up to six people.
If Greenville isn’t in the foreseeable future, out-of-the-norm Airbnbs are more common than you may think. From a Super Mario Bros. themed apartment in Tokyo to a Netflix-and-Chill inspired apartment in New York, quirky-getaway superfans can find comfort all over the world.
Welcome to The Points Guy!
WELCOME OFFER: 80,000 Points
TPG'S BONUS VALUATION*: $1,650
CARD HIGHLIGHTS: 2X points on all travel and dining, points transferrable to over a dozen travel partners
*Bonus value is an estimated value calculated by TPG and not the card issuer. View our latest valuations here.
- Earn 80,000 bonus points after you spend $4,000 on purchases in the first 3 months from account opening. That's $1,000 when you redeem through Chase Ultimate Rewards®. Plus earn up to $50 in statement credits towards grocery store purchases within your first year of account opening.
- Earn 2X points on dining including eligible delivery services, takeout and dining out and travel. Plus, earn 1 point per dollar spent on all other purchases.
- Get 25% more value when you redeem for airfare, hotels, car rentals and cruises through Chase Ultimate Rewards®. For example, 80,000 points are worth $1,000 toward travel.
- With Pay Yourself Back℠, your points are worth 25% more during the current offer when you redeem them for statement credits against existing purchases in select, rotating categories.
- Get unlimited deliveries with a $0 delivery fee and reduced service fees on eligible orders over $12 for a minimum of one year with DashPass, DoorDash's subscription service. Activate by 12/31/21.
- Count on Trip Cancellation/Interruption Insurance, Auto Rental Collision Damage Waiver, Lost Luggage Insurance and more.
- Get up to $60 back on an eligible Peloton Digital or All-Access Membership through 12/31/2021, and get full access to their workout library through the Peloton app, including cardio, running, strength, yoga, and more. Take classes using a phone, tablet, or TV. No fitness equipment is required.