Boeing Delivers the 787th Boeing 787 to China Southern
Boeing hit an extraordinary milestone this past Thursday as the aircraft manufacturer delivered the company’s 787th Boeing 787 Dreamliner. Lucky number 787 was delivered to commercial aircraft lessor AerCap and will fly for China Southern Airlines, based in Guangzhou, China. The Boeing 787 is a -9 variant with room for up to 276 in the configuration used by China Southern.
The Boeing 787 was first envisioned by the company in the early 00s as a replacement for aging, mid-sized widebody aircraft like the Boeing 767. The Boeing 787, nicknamed the Dreamliner, was a revolutionary aircraft at the time of its first flight, ushering in the use of new carbon composite materials and featuring new advanced flight systems.
The Boeing 787 was first delivered in 2009 to All Nippon Airways of Japan. The Dreamliner would soon earn a reputation as a problematic and expensive aircraft after a series of program delays and incidents, including the aircraft’s infamous lithium-ion battery fires. While the 787 certainly had a rough first few years in service, the aircraft has since transformed the widebody market and is among one of the best selling widebody aircraft today.
Now, Boeing is able to produce up to 12 Boeing 787s per month, primarily at its Charleston, SC, facility. In 2019, Boeing hopes to ramp up production to 14 Boeing 787s per month. With 787 completed deliveries, Boeing must still fulfill more than 700 orders for the popular widebody aircraft. China Southern Airlines has an additional 12 Boeing 787-9 aircraft on order and expects to take delivery of these aircraft through 2020.
The Boeing 787 has enabled China Southern Airlines to expand its route network to new destinations across the globe, including smaller markets in Europe, North America and Oceania. The Chinese airline offers four configurations aboard the airline’s fleet of Boeing 787s and is one of the only airlines to offer a first class cabin aboard the 787.
In a press release, Boeing’s CEO noted the significant event stating, “Reaching this milestone delivery is a testament to our amazing Boeing team who build the world’s most capable and reliable airplanes. This delivery also reflects the special capabilities of the 787 Dreamliner. The growing fleet continues to deliver unmatched efficiency, open new routes, and provide an exceptional passenger experience.”
The monumental bird features a special livery with “787th Boeing 787” painted across the front of the fuselage. The 787th Dreamliner bears the registration B-1168 and is currently parked at China Southern’s primary base in Guangzhou, China.
Featured image via Boeing
Welcome to The Points Guy!
WELCOME OFFER: 80,000 Points
TPG'S BONUS VALUATION*: $1,650
CARD HIGHLIGHTS: 2X points on all travel and dining, points transferrable to over a dozen travel partners
*Bonus value is an estimated value calculated by TPG and not the card issuer. View our latest valuations here.
- Earn 80,000 bonus points after you spend $4,000 on purchases in the first 3 months from account opening. That's $1,000 when you redeem through Chase Ultimate Rewards®. Plus earn up to $50 in statement credits towards grocery store purchases within your first year of account opening.
- Earn 2X points on dining including eligible delivery services, takeout and dining out and travel. Plus, earn 1 point per dollar spent on all other purchases.
- Get 25% more value when you redeem for airfare, hotels, car rentals and cruises through Chase Ultimate Rewards®. For example, 80,000 points are worth $1,000 toward travel.
- With Pay Yourself Back℠, your points are worth 25% more during the current offer when you redeem them for statement credits against existing purchases in select, rotating categories.
- Get unlimited deliveries with a $0 delivery fee and reduced service fees on eligible orders over $12 for a minimum of one year with DashPass, DoorDash's subscription service. Activate by 12/31/21.
- Count on Trip Cancellation/Interruption Insurance, Auto Rental Collision Damage Waiver, Lost Luggage Insurance and more.
- Get up to $60 back on an eligible Peloton Digital or All-Access Membership through 12/31/2021, and get full access to their workout library through the Peloton app, including cardio, running, strength, yoga, and more. Take classes using a phone, tablet, or TV. No fitness equipment is required.