Today Only: Earn 6x Alaska or United Miles on Apple Purchases
This post contains references to products from one or more of our advertisers. We may receive compensation when you click on links to those products. Terms apply to the offers listed on this page. For an explanation of our Advertising Policy, visit this page.
Today, Wednesday, there are two airline portals participating:
As is usually the case, there’s a long list of exclusions, per the United portal:
“The new Mac mini is not eligible until further notice. Additional products not eligible are: gift cards, gift wrap, Bose products, Apple Developer Programs, and shipping. Apple sells and ships products to end user customers only; you may not purchase for resale. Eligible only to a customer for up to five (5) units per eligible product, except iPhone, in which case only two (2) units within a thirty-day (30-day) period are eligible. EPP purchases are not eligible. Not eligible on purchases made with coupon or discount codes that are not found on this site. Not eligible on gift cards, gift certificates or any other similar cash equivalents.”
If you’ve been planning to purchase an eligible product, the question isn’t whether or not today’s the day — it’s which portal to pick. On the surface, Alaska’s the better deal, since we value Mileage Plan miles at 1.8 cents each, compared with just 1.4 cents for United. Still, it really depends on which products you’re looking to fly.
With Alaska, you can redeem for a variety of partners, including Cathay Pacific (one-way business class to Asia for 50,000 miles), Japan Airlines (70,000 miles for first class to Asia) and Qantas (first class to Australia or New Zealand for just 70,000 miles).
United’s partner awards require far more miles in business and first class — as many as 140,000 each way — but travelers can squeeze out some extra value by working in a free leg with the Excursionist Perk.
Personally, I’d go with Alaska Mileage Plan — United miles are especially easy to earn, since you can transfer points instantly at a 1:1 ratio from Chase Ultimate Rewards. That means I’m essentially boosting my MileagePlus balance every day, as I earn 3x points on all travel and dining with my Chase Sapphire Reserve.
Regardless of which portal you choose, be sure to make your Apple purchase with a credit card that offers extended warranty benefits or purchase protections — you may be able to score extra coverage in case you damage your gear or need to return it.
Welcome to The Points Guy!
Earn 50,000 bonus miles and 5,000 Medallion® Qualification Miles (MQMs) after you spend $2,000 in purchases on your new card in your first three months of card membership. Plus, earn up to $100 back in statement credits for eligible purchases at U.S. restaurants with your card within the first 3 months of membership.
With Status Boost™, earn 10,000 Medallion Qualification Miles (MQMs) after you spend $25,000 in purchases on your Card in a calendar year, up to two times per year getting you closer to Medallion Status. Earn 3X Miles on Delta purchases and purchases made directly with hotels, 2X Miles at restaurants and at U.S. supermarkets and earn 1X Mile on all other eligible purchases. Terms Apply.
- Earn 50,000 bonus miles and 5,000 Medallion® Qualification Miles (MQMs) after you spend $2,000 in purchases on your new Card in your first 3 months.
- Plus, earn up to $100 back in statement credits for eligible purchases at US restaurants with your card within the first 3 months of membership.
- Accelerate your path to Medallion Status, with Status Boost®. Plus, in 2021 you can earn even more bonus Medallion® Qualification Miles (MQMs) to help you reach Medallion Status.
- Earn 3X Miles on Delta purchases and purchases made directly with hotels.
- Earn 2X Miles at restaurants worldwide, including takeout and delivery and at U.S. supermarkets.
- Earn 1X Miles on all other eligible purchases.
- Receive a Domestic Main Cabin round-trip companion certificate each year upon renewal of your Card. *Payment of the government imposed taxes and fees of no more than $75 for roundtrip domestic flights (for itineraries with up to four flight segments) is required. Baggage charges and other restrictions apply. See terms and conditions for details.
- Enjoy your first checked bag free on Delta flights.
- Fee Credit for Global Entry or TSA Pre✓®.
- Enjoy an exclusive rate of $39 per person per visit to enter the Delta Sky Club® for you and up to two guests when traveling on a Delta flight.
- No Foreign Transaction Fees.
- $250 Annual Fee.
- Terms Apply.
- See Rates & Fees