Belgians Are so Serious About Fries and Mayo, They Want UNESCO Recognition
This post contains references to products from one or more of our advertisers. We may receive compensation when you click on links to those products. Terms apply to the offers listed on this page. For an explanation of our Advertising Policy, visit this page.
Belgium is on a mission to be featured on UNESCO’s Intangible Cultural Heritage list for their beloved fries and mayonnaise combo. Since Belgian mayonnaise producer, Natura, ignited a petition for the dish to be added, it has since reached 600 signatures.
The United Nations Educational, Scientific and Cultural Organization (UNESCO) list is currently comprised of 470 items that span the spectrum of traditional practices. Although Belgium is already recognized on the list for “shrimp fishing on horseback in Oostduinkerke” among other things, the country is adamant that their fries and mayo, typically served in a cone, are a vital aspect of cultural heritage in the region.
One petition signer, Fred Kot, commented “fry without mayo is like a couple without cuddling.” Another, Nath Tura, was more aggressive, ordering “do not send fries without mayo to UNESCO!”
If you want to see what the hype is all about, you can buy yourself a cone of the delicacy almost anywhere in Belgium. The stands they’re sold in are so common that they’d be difficult to miss. And hey, if you like it enough, feel free to sign the petition yourself!
Welcome to The Points Guy!
WELCOME OFFER: 80,000 Points
TPG'S BONUS VALUATION*: $1,650
CARD HIGHLIGHTS: 2X points on all travel and dining, points transferrable to over a dozen travel partners
*Bonus value is an estimated value calculated by TPG and not the card issuer. View our latest valuations here.
- Earn 80,000 bonus points after you spend $4,000 on purchases in the first 3 months from account opening. That's $1,000 when you redeem through Chase Ultimate Rewards®. Plus earn up to $50 in statement credits towards grocery store purchases within your first year of account opening.
- Earn 2X points on dining including eligible delivery services, takeout and dining out and travel. Plus, earn 1 point per dollar spent on all other purchases.
- Get 25% more value when you redeem for airfare, hotels, car rentals and cruises through Chase Ultimate Rewards®. For example, 80,000 points are worth $1,000 toward travel.
- With Pay Yourself Back℠, your points are worth 25% more during the current offer when you redeem them for statement credits against existing purchases in select, rotating categories.
- Get unlimited deliveries with a $0 delivery fee and reduced service fees on eligible orders over $12 for a minimum of one year with DashPass, DoorDash's subscription service. Activate by 12/31/21.
- Count on Trip Cancellation/Interruption Insurance, Auto Rental Collision Damage Waiver, Lost Luggage Insurance and more.
- Get up to $60 back on an eligible Peloton Digital or All-Access Membership through 12/31/2021, and get full access to their workout library through the Peloton app, including cardio, running, strength, yoga, and more. Take classes using a phone, tablet, or TV. No fitness equipment is required.