Belgians Are so Serious About Fries and Mayo, They Want UNESCO Recognition
This post contains references to products from one or more of our advertisers. We may receive compensation when you click on links to those products. Terms apply to the offers listed on this page. For an explanation of our Advertising Policy, visit this page.
Belgium is on a mission to be featured on UNESCO’s Intangible Cultural Heritage list for their beloved fries and mayonnaise combo. Since Belgian mayonnaise producer, Natura, ignited a petition for the dish to be added, it has since reached 600 signatures.
The United Nations Educational, Scientific and Cultural Organization (UNESCO) list is currently comprised of 470 items that span the spectrum of traditional practices. Although Belgium is already recognized on the list for “shrimp fishing on horseback in Oostduinkerke” among other things, the country is adamant that their fries and mayo, typically served in a cone, are a vital aspect of cultural heritage in the region.
One petition signer, Fred Kot, commented “fry without mayo is like a couple without cuddling.” Another, Nath Tura, was more aggressive, ordering “do not send fries without mayo to UNESCO!”
If you want to see what the hype is all about, you can buy yourself a cone of the delicacy almost anywhere in Belgium. The stands they’re sold in are so common that they’d be difficult to miss. And hey, if you like it enough, feel free to sign the petition yourself!
Welcome to The Points Guy!
Earn 50,000 bonus miles and 5,000 Medallion® Qualification Miles (MQMs) after you spend $2,000 in purchases on your new card in the first three months of card membership. Plus, earn up to $100 back in statement credits for eligible purchases at U.S. restaurants in the first three months of card membership.
With Status Boost™, earn 10,000 Medallion Qualification Miles (MQMs) after you spend $25,000 in purchases on your Card in a calendar year, up to two times per year getting you closer to Medallion Status. Earn 3X Miles on Delta purchases and purchases made directly with hotels, 2X Miles at restaurants and at U.S. supermarkets and earn 1X Mile on all other eligible purchases. Terms Apply.
- Earn 50,000 Bonus Miles and 5,000 Medallion® Qualification Miles (MQMs) after you spend $2,000 in purchases on your new Card in your first 3 months.
- Plus, earn up to $100 back in statement credits for eligible purchases at U.S. restaurants with your card within the first 3 months of membership.
- Earn up to 20,000 Medallion® Qualification Miles (MQMs) with Status Boost® per year. After you spend $25,000 in purchases on your Card in a calendar year, you can earn 10,000 MQMs two times per year, getting you closer to Medallion® Status. MQMs are used to determine Medallion® Status and are different than miles you earn toward flights.
- Earn 3X Miles on Delta purchases and purchases made directly with hotels.
- Earn 2X Miles at restaurants worldwide, including takeout and delivery and at U.S. supermarkets.
- Earn 1X Miles on all other eligible purchases.
- Receive a Domestic Main Cabin round-trip companion certificate each year upon renewal of your Card. *Payment of the government imposed taxes and fees of no more than $75 for roundtrip domestic flights (for itineraries with up to four flight segments) is required. Baggage charges and other restrictions apply. See terms and conditions for details.
- Enjoy your first checked bag free on Delta flights.
- Fee Credit for Global Entry or TSA Pre✓®.
- Enjoy an exclusive rate of $39 per person per visit to enter the Delta Sky Club® for you and up to two guests when traveling on a Delta flight.
- No Foreign Transaction Fees.
- $250 Annual Fee.
- Terms Apply.
- See Rates & Fees