This post contains references to products from one or more of our advertisers. We may receive compensation when you click on links to those products. For an explanation of our Advertising Policy, visit this page.
Belgium is on a mission to be featured on UNESCO’s Intangible Cultural Heritage list for their beloved fries and mayonnaise combo. Since Belgian mayonnaise producer, Natura, ignited a petition for the dish to be added, it has since reached 600 signatures.
The United Nations Educational, Scientific and Cultural Organization (UNESCO) list is currently comprised of 470 items that span the spectrum of traditional practices. Although Belgium is already recognized on the list for “shrimp fishing on horseback in Oostduinkerke” among other things, the country is adamant that their fries and mayo, typically served in a cone, are a vital aspect of cultural heritage in the region.
One petition signer, Fred Kot, commented “fry without mayo is like a couple without cuddling.” Another, Nath Tura, was more aggressive, ordering “do not send fries without mayo to UNESCO!”
If you want to see what the hype is all about, you can buy yourself a cone of the delicacy almost anywhere in Belgium. The stands they’re sold in are so common that they’d be difficult to miss. And hey, if you like it enough, feel free to sign the petition yourself!
With great travel benefits, 2x points on travel & dining and a 50,000 point sign up bonus, the Chase Sapphire Preferred is a great card for those looking to get into the points and miles game. Here are the top 5 reasons it should be in your wallet, or read our definitive review for more details.
- Earn 50,000 bonus points after you spend $4,000 on purchases in the first 3 months from account opening. That's $625 toward travel when you redeem through Chase Ultimate Rewards®
- Chase Sapphire Preferred® named a 'Best Travel Credit Card' by MONEY® Magazine, 2016-2017
- 2X points on travel and dining at restaurants worldwide & 1 point per dollar spent on all other purchases.
- Earn 5,000 bonus points after you add the first authorized user and make a purchase in the first 3 months from account opening
- No foreign transaction fees
- 1:1 point transfer to leading airline and hotel loyalty programs
- Get 25% more value when you redeem for travel through Chase Ultimate Rewards. For example, 50,000 points are worth $625 toward travel.
- No blackout dates or travel restrictions - as long as there's a seat on the flight, you can book it through Chase Ultimate Rewards