50 Crocodiles Seized at London’s Heathrow Airport
This post contains references to products from one or more of our advertisers. We may receive compensation when you click on links to those products. Terms apply to the offers listed on this page. For an explanation of our Advertising Policy, visit this page.
Fifty live crocodiles were seized at London’s Heathrow Airport (LHR) last week after border officials suspected inhumane travel conditions.
The baby crocodiles arrived in London on a flight from Malaysia. They were heading to a farm in rural England to be bred for their meat before they were confiscated. A Border Force official said that “little attention” was paid when packing the reptiles. They were crammed into five transit boxes — 10 baby crocs per box, far exceeding the International Air Transport Association’s regulation limit of four.
The cramped conditions caused the crocodiles to fight, and one of the animals later died as a result. The remaining 49 crocodiles have now been taken into custody by the Convention on International Trade in Endangered Species (CITES) and will be found new homes.
“It is just not acceptable for reptiles to be transported in this way,” Grant Miller, head of the national Border Force CITES team at Heathrow.
Last year, 200,000 reptiles landed at LHR, according to the airport’s animal reception center.
Featured image by UK Home Office via BBC.
Welcome to The Points Guy!
WELCOME OFFER: 80,000 Points
TPG'S BONUS VALUATION*: $1,650
CARD HIGHLIGHTS: 2X points on all travel and dining, points transferrable to over a dozen travel partners
*Bonus value is an estimated value calculated by TPG and not the card issuer. View our latest valuations here.
- Earn 80,000 bonus points after you spend $4,000 on purchases in the first 3 months from account opening. That's $1,000 when you redeem through Chase Ultimate Rewards®. Plus earn up to $50 in statement credits towards grocery store purchases within your first year of account opening.
- Earn 2X points on dining including eligible delivery services, takeout and dining out and travel. Plus, earn 1 point per dollar spent on all other purchases.
- Get 25% more value when you redeem for airfare, hotels, car rentals and cruises through Chase Ultimate Rewards®. For example, 80,000 points are worth $1,000 toward travel.
- With Pay Yourself Back℠, your points are worth 25% more during the current offer when you redeem them for statement credits against existing purchases in select, rotating categories.
- Get unlimited deliveries with a $0 delivery fee and reduced service fees on eligible orders over $12 for a minimum of one year with DashPass, DoorDash's subscription service. Activate by 12/31/21.
- Count on Trip Cancellation/Interruption Insurance, Auto Rental Collision Damage Waiver, Lost Luggage Insurance and more.
- Get up to $60 back on an eligible Peloton Digital or All-Access Membership through 12/31/2021, and get full access to their workout library through the Peloton app, including cardio, running, strength, yoga, and more. Take classes using a phone, tablet, or TV. No fitness equipment is required.