This post contains references to products from one or more of our advertisers. We may receive compensation when you click on links to those products. For an explanation of our Advertising Policy, visit this page.
Traveloka, an Indonesian technology company that provides online airline ticketing and hotel booking services, looked at the top 50 most tech-friendly airlines, and only four US carriers made the list. Traveloka analyzed 50 airlines operating long-haul flights and ranked the carriers based off Wi-Fi speed and cost, power outlet availability and ability to make phone calls, send text messages and watch live TV.
The airlines providing the most connectivity are Qatar Airways, Emirates, Cathay Pacific, Etihad Airways and Virgin Atlantic. These five airlines all offer text messaging, live TV and phone calls. Delta earns a top spot at No. 3 for its relatively low-cost Wi-Fi ($1.17/hour) and free messaging via iMessage, What’sApp and Facebook Messenger. Qatar Airways lands the top spot for having the most amenities all around at just $5/hour. Although Singapore Airlines is one of the best airlines in the world, it landed at No. 14 on the tech-friendly list. Singapore Airlines’ Wi-Fi costs nearly $9/hour and does not have the greatest connection, nor does it allow for phone calls and live TV.
Top 50 Most Tech-Friendly Airlines:
With great travel benefits, 2x points on travel & dining and a 50,000 point sign up bonus, the Chase Sapphire Preferred is a great card for those looking to get into the points and miles game. Here are the top 5 reasons it should be in your wallet, or read our definitive review for more details.
- Earn 50,000 bonus points after you spend $4,000 on purchases in the first 3 months from account opening. That's $625 toward travel when you redeem through Chase Ultimate Rewards®
- Chase Sapphire Preferred named "Best Credit Card for Flexible Travel Redemption" - Kiplinger's Personal Finance, June 2018
- 2X points on travel and dining at restaurants worldwide & 1 point per dollar spent on all other purchases.
- No foreign transaction fees
- 1:1 point transfer to leading airline and hotel loyalty programs
- Get 25% more value when you redeem for airfare, hotels, car rentals and cruises through Chase Ultimate Rewards. For example, 50,000 points are worth $625 toward travel
- No blackout dates or travel restrictions - as long as there's a seat on the flight, you can book it through Chase Ultimate Rewards