5 Shark-Themed Southwest 737s Will Soar for Shark Week
This post contains references to products from one or more of our advertisers. We may receive compensation when you click on links to those products. Terms apply to the offers listed on this page. For an explanation of our Advertising Policy, visit this page.
You can now look up to the skies for the ocean predators that get their own week-long TV holiday every year: sharks. For the past five years, Southwest has partnered with Discovery Channel to bring a Shark Week plane in the air, but this year, five lucky 737s will be getting new temporary shark liveries.
Now through August 31, you can track the planes overhead or on FlightAware.com, where they’re depicted as sharks. Each plane will have a different species of shark at the nose of the regular Southwest livery alongside the logo for the 30th anniversary of Shark Week.
To find out where each species is, simply search for the plane’s tail number: Great White (N470WN), Hammerhead (N705SW), Mako (N961WN), Tiger Shark (N553WN) and Bull Shark (N947WN).
As this post is being written, the Great White 737 is en route from Houston (HOU) to Baltimore (BWI).
If you happen to spot or end up on board one of the limited edition 737s, be sure to share pictures. Southwest wants “customers and aviation enthusiasts to share their plane-spotting photos of our Shark Week Fleet with @SouthwestAir using the hashtag #SharksTakeFlight.”
But the Shark Week partnership doesn’t end there – some of the Southwest planes will also be showing sneak peaks of Shark Week on board up to two weeks before they air.
H/T: USA Today
Featured image by Stephen M. Keller, Southwest Airlines.
Welcome to The Points Guy!
WELCOME OFFER: 80,000 Points
TPG'S BONUS VALUATION*: $1,650
CARD HIGHLIGHTS: 2X points on all travel and dining, points transferrable to over a dozen travel partners
*Bonus value is an estimated value calculated by TPG and not the card issuer. View our latest valuations here.
- Earn 80,000 bonus points after you spend $4,000 on purchases in the first 3 months from account opening. That's $1,000 when you redeem through Chase Ultimate Rewards®. Plus earn up to $50 in statement credits towards grocery store purchases within your first year of account opening.
- Earn 2X points on dining including eligible delivery services, takeout and dining out and travel. Plus, earn 1 point per dollar spent on all other purchases.
- Get 25% more value when you redeem for airfare, hotels, car rentals and cruises through Chase Ultimate Rewards®. For example, 80,000 points are worth $1,000 toward travel.
- With Pay Yourself Back℠, your points are worth 25% more during the current offer when you redeem them for statement credits against existing purchases in select, rotating categories.
- Get unlimited deliveries with a $0 delivery fee and reduced service fees on eligible orders over $12 for a minimum of one year with DashPass, DoorDash's subscription service. Activate by 12/31/21.
- Count on Trip Cancellation/Interruption Insurance, Auto Rental Collision Damage Waiver, Lost Luggage Insurance and more.
- Get up to $60 back on an eligible Peloton Digital or All-Access Membership through 12/31/2021, and get full access to their workout library through the Peloton app, including cardio, running, strength, yoga, and more. Take classes using a phone, tablet, or TV. No fitness equipment is required.