Targeted: Get 5 points per dollar on Amazon purchases with new Amex Offer
This post contains references to products from one or more of our advertisers. We may receive compensation when you click on links to those products. Terms apply to the offers listed on this page. For an explanation of our Advertising Policy, visit this page.
Update: Some offers mentioned below are no longer available.
Here’s what you need to know.
You will get 4 additional Amex Membership Rewards points per dollar spent on Amazon purchases made at amazon.com or via the U.S. Amazon app from now until Dec. 31, 2019, up to 1,500 points. This is on top of the 1 base point you will earn on your card, bringing the total Membership Rewards points to 5 points per dollar.
What’s great about this deal is that you can buy nearly anything from Amazon.com to get the points, and Amazon sells just about everything under the sun. Note that while corporate gift cards are excluded, third-party gift cards appear to be eligible. If you don’t have anything to purchase from Amazon now, you can still nab a gift card from retailers like Best Buy and Starbucks, or airlines like Southwest and Delta.
Keep in mind that authorized users are also eligible to enroll on their own card for this offer. This means you can earn points across both cards and double or triple the amount of points you receive from this offer.
Note that the offer appears to be targeted, as I saw it on three of my four Amex cards including The Platinum Card® from American Express, American Express® Green Card and the American Express® Gold Card — but not The Business Platinum Card® from American Express.
The information for the Amex Green Card has been collected independently by The Points Guy. The card details on this page have not been reviewed or provided by the card issuer.
As you’ll find with any Amex Offer, the usual restrictions apply. The offer excludes corporate gift cards (but not regular gift cards) and custom-designed gift card purchases and is not valid at international sites owned and/or operated by Amazon or websites affiliated with/linked to/from Amazon.com. Offer not valid for Amazon Local, Amazon Mechanical Turk, Amazon Web Services, Amazon Home & Business Services, Amazon Currency Converter, Home Services, Prime Photos, Amazon Inspire, Amazon Video Direct, Amazon business, Amazon Global, or Amazon Drive.
Note that you can earn a maximum of 1,500 bonus Amex points with this offer. In order to take advantage of the deal, you’ll need to check to see if you were targeted and then use your eligible card for purchases by New Year’s Eve. Any of the above can only be added to one card per account holder, so you’ll want to check all of your cards to select the one that offers the best return on the purchase.
For more TPG news delivered each morning to your inbox, sign up for our daily newsletter here: https://thepointsguy.com/mailing-list/
If you don’t have an American Express card and don’t want to miss out on future offers like this, consider adding The Platinum Card® from American Express to your wallet, as it’s offering a welcome bonus of 75,000 Membership Rewards® Points after you spend $5,000 on purchases in your first 6 months of Card Membership. However, you might be eligible for an Amex Platinum 100k points bonus offer using the CardMatch Tool (offer subject to change at any time).
If the Platinum Card isn’t for you, check out our guide on choosing the best American Express card that suits your style.
For more on Amex Offers, Amazon and American Express cards, read:
- Your ultimate guide to Amex Offers
- Great deal: Get $30 off Amazon with just 1 Amex point
- Choosing the best American Express Card for you
- How to Get up to 5x Points on Amazon Purchases
Featured image courtesy of Getty Images
Welcome to The Points Guy!
WELCOME OFFER: 60,000 Points
TPG'S BONUS VALUATION*: $1,200
CARD HIGHLIGHTS: 2X points on all travel and dining, points transferrable to over a dozen travel partners
*Bonus value is an estimated value calculated by TPG and not the card issuer. View our latest valuations here.
- Earn 60,000 bonus points after you spend $4,000 on purchases in the first 3 months from account opening. That's $750 when you redeem through Chase Ultimate Rewards®. Plus earn up to $50 in statement credits towards grocery store purchases.
- 2X points on dining at restaurants including eligible delivery services, takeout and dining out and travel & 1 point per dollar spent on all other purchases.
- Get 25% more value when you redeem for travel through Chase Ultimate Rewards®. For example, 60,000 points are worth $750 toward travel.
- With Pay Yourself Back℠, your points are worth 25% more during the current offer when you redeem them for statement credits against existing purchases in select, rotating categories.
- Get unlimited deliveries with a $0 delivery fee and reduced service fees on eligible orders over $12 for a minimum of one year with DashPass, DoorDash's subscription service. Activate by 12/31/21.
- Earn 2x total points on up to $1,000 in grocery store purchases per month from November 1, 2020 to April 30, 2021. Includes eligible pick-up and delivery services.