This post contains references to products from one or more of our advertisers. We may receive compensation when you click on links to those products. For an explanation of our Advertising Policy, visit this page.
If you have the American Express® Green Card, you might be targeted for a 40,000-point upgrade offer for moving to the higher-end American Express® Gold Card and spending $2,000 in the first 3 months, Doctor of Credit reports. Based on TPG’s valuations, 40,000 Membership Rewards points are worth $800.
This is slightly higher than the publicly available offer of 35,000 points after meeting the same minimum spending requirement, getting you $100 in additional value based on our valuations. Even better, it appears that you should still be eligible for the bonus if you’ve had the card before — normally, Amex allows just one welcome bonus per “lifetime” per card type.
If targeted, you should have received an email with the offer. Alternatively, you might see an offer to “Go Gold” on your online account page under Amex Offers.
This offer is definitely worth taking advantage of if you’re targeted, especially considering the lack of lifetime bonus restriction. The Amex Gold Card is a substantial upgrade from the Amex Green Card, both in terms of earnings and perks. It has a $250 annual fee (see rates & fees), but features like an up to $120 annual dining credit and up to $100 annual airline fee credit, as well as 4x points (an 8% return based on our valuations) on dining (recently expanded from just US restaurants to restaurants worldwide) help justify it.
Featured image by Isabelle Raphael/The Points Guy.
For rates and fees of the Amex Gold, click here.
Know before you go.
News and deals straight to your inbox every day.
With some great bonus categories, the American Express Gold Card has a lot going for it. The card offers 4x points at restaurants worldwide, at US supermarkets (up to $25,000; then 1x), and 3x points on flights booked directly with airlines or through amextravel.com. It is currently offering a welcome bonus of 35,000 bonus points after you spend $2,000 in the first three months.
- Earn 35,000 Membership Rewards® Points after you spend $2,000 on eligible purchases with your new Card within the first 3 months.
- Earn 4X Membership Rewards® points when you dine at restaurants worldwide. Earn 4X Membership Rewards® points at U.S. supermarkets (on up to $25,000 per year in purchases, then 1X). Earn 3X Membership Rewards® points on flights booked directly with airlines or on amextravel.com.
- Earn up to a total of $10 in statement credits monthly when you pay with the Gold Card at Grubhub, Seamless, The Cheesecake Factory, Ruth’s Chris Steak House, Boxed, and participating Shake Shack locations. This can be an annual savings of up to $120. Enrollment required.
- $100 Airline Fee Credit: up to $100 in statement credits per calendar year for incidental fees at one selected qualifying airline.
- Choose to carry a balance with interest on eligible charges of $100 or more.
- No Foreign Transaction Fees.
- Annual Fee is $250.
- Terms Apply.
- See Rates & Fees