This post contains references to products from one or more of our advertisers. We may receive compensation when you click on links to those products. For an explanation of our Advertising Policy, visit this page.
Authorities at Chhatrapati Shivaji International Airport (BOM) in Mumbai, India, discovered nine kilograms of gold worth $400,000 underneath a seat on a Jet Airways aircraft. The gold was discovered during a routine inspection after the flight landed in Mumbai from Dubai. Authorities seized the gold, believing that it is a part of a smuggling operation.
Six gold bars weighing more than one kilogram each were found under two seat cushions on the aircraft; each gold bar was found with foreign markings. Officials believe that the gold was to be recovered by accomplices once the plane reached its final destination. It’s unclear where they believe the final destination was.
Jet Airways provided Customs with a list of passengers and crew members on the flight that they believe the gold was stashed on.
Earlier in 2018, a Jet Airways flight attendant was caught smuggling $500,000 USD on a flight from Delhi (DEL) to Hong Kong (HKG). The flight attendant was believed to be working for an Indian run smuggling ring.
Image by Artur Widak via Getty Images.
With great travel benefits, 2x points on travel & dining and a 50,000 point sign up bonus, the Chase Sapphire Preferred is a great card for those looking to get into the points and miles game. Here are the top 5 reasons it should be in your wallet, or read our definitive review for more details.
- Earn 50,000 bonus points after you spend $4,000 on purchases in the first 3 months from account opening. That's $625 toward travel when you redeem through Chase Ultimate Rewards®
- Chase Sapphire Preferred® named a 'Best Travel Credit Card' by MONEY® Magazine, 2016-2017
- 2X points on travel and dining at restaurants worldwide & 1 point per dollar spent on all other purchases.
- Earn 5,000 bonus points after you add the first authorized user and make a purchase in the first 3 months from account opening
- No foreign transaction fees
- 1:1 point transfer to leading airline and hotel loyalty programs
- Get 25% more value when you redeem for travel through Chase Ultimate Rewards. For example, 50,000 points are worth $625 toward travel.
- No blackout dates or travel restrictions - as long as there's a seat on the flight, you can book it through Chase Ultimate Rewards