This post contains references to products from one or more of our advertisers. We may receive compensation when you click on links to those products. For an explanation of our Advertising Policy, visit this page.
Authorities at Chhatrapati Shivaji International Airport (BOM) in Mumbai, India, discovered nine kilograms of gold worth $400,000 underneath a seat on a Jet Airways aircraft. The gold was discovered during a routine inspection after the flight landed in Mumbai from Dubai. Authorities seized the gold, believing that it is a part of a smuggling operation.
Six gold bars weighing more than one kilogram each were found under two seat cushions on the aircraft; each gold bar was found with foreign markings. Officials believe that the gold was to be recovered by accomplices once the plane reached its final destination. It’s unclear where they believe the final destination was.
Jet Airways provided Customs with a list of passengers and crew members on the flight that they believe the gold was stashed on.
Earlier in 2018, a Jet Airways flight attendant was caught smuggling $500,000 USD on a flight from Delhi (DEL) to Hong Kong (HKG). The flight attendant was believed to be working for an Indian run smuggling ring.
Image by Artur Widak via Getty Images.
The American Express Platinum card has some of the best perks out there: cardholders enjoy the best domestic lounge access (Delta SkyClubs, Centurion Lounges, and Priority Pass), a $200 annual airline fee credit as well as up to $200 in Uber credits, and mid-tier elite status at SPG, Marriott, and Hilton. Combined with the 60,000 point welcome offer -- worth $1,140 based on TPG's valuations -- this card is a no-brainer for frequent travelers. Here are 5 reasons you should consider this card, as well as how you can figure out if the $550 annual fee makes sense for you.
- Earn 60,000 Membership Rewards® points after you use your new Card to make $5,000 in purchases in your first 3 months.
- Enjoy Uber VIP status and free rides in the U.S. up to $15 each month, plus a bonus $20 in December. That can be up to $200 in annual Uber savings.
- 5X Membership Rewards® points on flights booked directly with airlines or with American Express Travel.
- 5X Membership Rewards points on prepaid hotels booked on amextravel.com.
- Enjoy access to the Global Lounge Collection, the only credit card airport lounge access program that includes proprietary lounge locations around the world.
- Receive complimentary benefits with an average total value of $550 with Fine Hotels & Resorts. Learn More.
- $200 Airline Fee Credit, up to $200 per calendar year in baggage fees and more at one qualifying airline.
- Get up to $100 in statement credits annually for purchases at Saks Fifth Avenue on your Platinum Card®. Enrollment required.
- $550 annual fee.
- Terms Apply.
- See Rates & Fees