This post contains references to products from one or more of our advertisers. We may receive compensation when you click on links to those products. For an explanation of our Advertising Policy, visit this page.
Authorities at Chhatrapati Shivaji International Airport (BOM) in Mumbai, India, discovered nine kilograms of gold worth $400,000 underneath a seat on a Jet Airways aircraft. The gold was discovered during a routine inspection after the flight landed in Mumbai from Dubai. Authorities seized the gold, believing that it is a part of a smuggling operation.
Six gold bars weighing more than one kilogram each were found under two seat cushions on the aircraft; each gold bar was found with foreign markings. Officials believe that the gold was to be recovered by accomplices once the plane reached its final destination. It’s unclear where they believe the final destination was.
Jet Airways provided Customs with a list of passengers and crew members on the flight that they believe the gold was stashed on.
Earlier in 2018, a Jet Airways flight attendant was caught smuggling $500,000 USD on a flight from Delhi (DEL) to Hong Kong (HKG). The flight attendant was believed to be working for an Indian run smuggling ring.
Image by Artur Widak via Getty Images.
With some great bonus categories, the American Express Gold Card has a lot going for it. The card offers 4x points at US restaurants, at US supermarkets (up to $25,000; then 1x), and 3x points on flights booked directly with airlines or through amextravel.com. It is currently offering a welcome bonus of 35,000 bonus points after you spend $2,000 in the first three months.
- Earn 35,000 Membership Rewards® Points after you spend $2,000 on eligible purchases with your new Card within the first 3 months.
- Earn 4X Membership Rewards® points at U.S. restaurants. Earn 4X Membership Rewards® points at U.S. supermarkets (on up to $25,000 per year in purchases, then 1X).
- Earn 3X Membership Rewards® points on flights booked directly with airlines or on amextravel.com.
- Earn up to $10 in statement credits monthly when you pay with The Gold Card at Grubhub, Seamless, The Cheesecake Factory, Shake Shack, and Ruth's Chris Steak House. This is an annual savings of up to $120. Enrollment required.
- $100 Airline Fee Credit: up to $100 in statement credits per calendar year for incidental fees at one selected qualifying airline.
- Choose to carry a balance with interest on eligible charges of $100 or more.
- No Foreign Transaction Fees.
- Annual Fee is $250.
- Terms apply.
- See Rates & Fees